• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Bill: HB0004 Rifles and Shotguns - Secondary Transactions [BILL TEXT PDF] / Cross-filed as SB0208 Public Safety - Rifles and Shotguns - Secondary Transactions [BILL TEXT PDF]
    Hearing: HB4: Jan 15, 2020 1:00 PM Video of Testimony / SB208: Feb 5, 2020 2PM Video of Testimony - Hearing House JUD 3/18 1pm (sponsor only)
    Committee Vote: HB4: JUD 1/23 vote tally & JPR 3/3 vote tally / SB208: 2/28 vote tally
    Status: HB4 House Third Read Passed (87-47) ENROLLED (Passed 86-43) On the way to the Governor [text] / SB208 Passed Senate Third Reader (31-14) - In House JUD Hearing Canceled [Third Reader Text PDF]
    Amendments: HB4: 182311/1, 512011/1, 638976/2 / SB208: 398179/2

Bill History

As far as I could tell, this bill was originally presented by Delegate Dereck Davis in 2016 as HB0692 [text]. It was withdrawn.
    Delegate Davis brought it back as HB1448 in 2017 [text]. It died in committee.
    Delegate Atterbeary resurrected it (as HB0786) with an added LGQL in 2019. [text]. It was cut back on third read [text] to essentially what it was in 2017. It never made it to/out of conference and time ran out.

The 2020 version appears to be the same as what made it through to the end of the process last year. They are not waiting for "gun bill days".

This is a bill that would place a dealer/FFL in between parties of a private transaction involving "A SALE, A RENTAL, A FURNISHING, A GIFT, A LOAN, OR ANY OTHER DELIVERY,WITH OR WITHOUT CONSIDERATION" of a RIFLE or SHOTGUN for the purposes of conducting the transfer with a background check.

It does exclude immediate family members defined as: "A SPOUSE, A PARENT, A STEPPARENT, A GRANDPARENT, AN AUNT, AN UNCLE, A SIBLING, A STEPSIBLING, A CHILD, A STEPCHILD, A GRANDCHILD, A NIECE, OR A NEPHEW, AS RELATED BY BLOOD OR MARRIAGE."

I've provided all relevant links to the current and all previous versions of this beast for your reading pleasure.

HB4 was passed on 3/16 @ ~8:07pm (86-43) with the people frozen out of the process.

Welcome to today's Maryland.

VETO of both HB4 & SB208! [VETO LETTER PDF]

Last edited:

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    90 seconds? WtF?

Might as well make it 9 seconds, hearkening back to 2013 in the Senate Judiciary Committee when we were permitted by Baron von Frosh to state our names, and indicate our support or opposition to SB 281, then move along. I was one of the last to testify circa 1am.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    90 seconds? WtF?

Might as well make it 9 seconds, hearkening back to 2013 in the Senate Judiciary Committee when we were permitted by Baron von Frosh to state our names, and indicate our support or opposition to SB 281, then move along. I was one of the last to testify circa 1am.

Free speech must be regulated when it might be something that does not fit the agenda or provides inconvenient facts about a subject.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Isn't this the bill that kept getting killed in committee because FFLs couldn't actually do NICS checks on guns between two private parties?

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    This is key to creating a comprehensive database of all legally owned guns. It is key to confiscation. It must be defeated again. I can't stress this enough.

Even though it can't really be complied with I'm not sure it can be defeated given the current make up of the MGA. It will be an echo chamber in there with each voice amplifying the stupid. As you state the intent is to provide a roster for when they decide to confiscate. That will be done at some time with how VA goes acting as an accelerator or a brake but I don't see them not trying at least not without a clear and convincing ruling from SCOTUS. I know what I'm doing if it passes and I hope everyone here is planning the same. I don't think I have to spell it out.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They can't even keep track of this. No reason on earth to comply.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    It doesn't surprise me that Atterberry would think this is a ggod thing. She doesn't know how the real world works and certain she knows what's best for us. I think she hides her ignorance behind a veil of supposed intellectual superiority.

What's the saying?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C. S. Lewis

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom