• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Keep extra alert at West Virginia state parks. We had a robbery attempted on us at hawks nest at an overlook far enough off the road that no one could here but close enough for the attempted robbers to get away quickly enough

I will tell more when I get back to a computer sized keyboard. Myself and mrs 44 man are fine but she's pretty shook up

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Glad you're ok. Used to be you just had to worry about the shine and then the pot growers in WV. Steer clear of their production area and all was good. Meth (and lack of coal jobs -> meth) have made it a whole different game.

Glad all y'all are ok.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Public service announcement:

WV allows concealed carry without a permit, for anyone not a prohibited person.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    DAMN i'm glad you both are ok given all the shit thats going on.:thumbsup:

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Glad you all got out of that jam man! I hate robbers I hate thieves! Nothing like a scum bag who wants to take what somebody worked for when they can get off there lazy ass and do the same thing's but noooo they rather try the easy way and just take take take. When these guys are shot down in an attempted robbery I have no pity.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Jeeze. I feel bad for the robbers if they try this on my hiking group.

Yup - when i go out, it's loaded for bear; mostly of the two-legged variety. I've heard that 46 rounds of 10mm is an effective two-legged bear repellent.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    OP - it would be good to have a more detailed report when you catch your breath. For those of us that love to be in the great outdoors, stuff like this is important to understand.

I know that when I do some of my long hikes on the Allegheny Trail, where you can go all day and not see another hiker, gives me pause for things like this.

I'm finding myself stopping every few minutes, doing a 360 degree sweep and listening with the understanding that I'm pretty far away from any people, thus the likelihood of there being anyone there being pretty low; but at the same time recognizing that it also makes it very attractive for people up to no good.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Yup - when i go out, it's loaded for bear; mostly of the two-legged variety. I've heard that 46 rounds of 10mm is an effective two-legged bear repellent.

I kind of wish I had a 10mm.

I typically just carry my Glock 19 with hard cast around black bears. Brown bears it's .454 and bear spray all day.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I kind of wish I had a 10mm.

I typically just carry my Glock 19 with hard cast around black bears. Brown bears it's .454 and bear spray all day.

I carry a 329 PD in bear country. Very light.

I'd have thought OP would have had a .44.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I hear lots of concern for bears. Rightly so.

Please don't underestimate the lowly hog. Furthermore, I'd not misunderstand the report of the fella in AL who recently put down an 800+ lb hog in his door yard with 3 rounds of .38. I'm thinking (still) that more is better when carrying...in the woods or around town. Mas Ayoob is a strong proponent of carrying more than just what's in the gun.

As for the OP, I too am anxious to hear more detail once he's got his wits back around him. Again, glad they came out ok.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I carry a 329 PD in bear country. Very light.

I'd have thought OP would have had a .44.

Doc

For me It's just either 9mm or the 6.5" barrel .454 Casull I have. You can bet when brown bears are around I take the .454 every time, but I can't justify hiking with the massive thing just for black bears or buying a new platform for them specifically.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I hike ALOT all over west virginia. I have a Large K-Bar mounted to the side of my pack and usually my M&P shield close. I worry about coming across homeless/drug addicts. Luckily i've never had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom