• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    I purchased a CPO 226 a couple months ago and it seems to be hitting consistently low (4-6 inches or so at 10 yards. Looking at the muzzle it seems like the barrel is not centered in the slide (see attached photo). Is this normal or should I contact Sig about sending it back for service?

Attachments

• image-1291239958.jpg
      image-1291239958.jpg
      29.5 KB · Views: 234

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    Normal

I had a sig p250 that looked exactly the same. When you pull the slide bad the barrel angles upward slightly to drop the chamber when chambering a round.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The sight has to cover point of impact. Not a pumpkin on a fence post. 4-6 inches at 10 yards seems like a shooting problem. 4-6 inches at 10 yards is quite severe. The barrel position is normal. Even if it weren't, the cant of the barrel would be putting it that far off point of aim.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    I'll have to play around with it some more. I do not have the same problem with my 1911 or any other handguns I have owned in the past.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Barrel position is normal. Nothing to worry about. You need to see what kind of hold the gun requires. Some are POA/POI, while others are at 6 O'clock.

mtb

May 24, 2011
    Both of my SIGs shoot this way. You have to cover what you are aiming at.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I'll have to play around with it some more. I do not have the same problem with my 1911 or any other handguns I have owned in the past.

That barrel positioning is perfectly normal. As was mentioned, it has to do with the way the action operates. When the slide moves rearward, the barrel is tilted up slightly which brings the feed ramp at the rear down a bit for the chambering of the next round. If you take the barrel out of the gun for cleaning, you'll typically see a semicircular marking in the finish on the underside of the barrel near the muzzle from where the barrel and slide contact each other when it's in battery and locked up, and another semicircular marking further back on the top of the barrel from where it contacts the slide when the action is fully open.

As to the low shooting.... I don't know how familiar you are with SIGs, but again as has been mentioned they typically are a "cover your target with the front sight" hold rather than a lollipop on a stick hold. If you're doing the lollipop thing you'll be shooting low.

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Thanks for all of the help. Since it came with a 1 year warranty I wanted to make sure it got taken care of within that period if it needed service. I was doing the "lollipop" so that explains it.

Vikingpwr67

Jan 28, 2013
    Baltimore
    My sig drops them far but till about 25 yards. Definatly got to cover the target with the sight picture. Mine does a little better slightly canted to the side while shooting

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Have you considered trying different sights? Like for example, the Heinie Straight Eight sighting system uses a completely different means of aiming versus a traditional three-dot. I personally shoot it far more consistently than I do 3-dot night sights, which I shoot more consistently over factory sights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom