• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    We plan on doing more research on this and hope to write up a presentation to MSP . Any other input your guys N gals may have is welcome !

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Straight from the MdSP website:
    "Century Arms Century Arms C308 Banned Copy of an enumerated banned assault weapon."

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

You can buy a C32 in 7.62 x 39 though. :rolleyes:

Please remember two things about that website:

1. MSP themselves have said, in writing, in response to a lawsuit, that the list on that website is NOT legally binding and is presented only as "helpful information" to those wanting to make a purchase, and that the final decision is up to the FFL.

2. MSP has frequently in the past revised that website based on submissions form FFLs (and maybe private citizens, though I'm not sure on that one) where there's a situation like this where a rifle listed as banned should not be based on the interchangeable parts rule. (Which is itself, of course, only a decision made by MSP since the law doesn't define what a "copy" of a banned rifle is.)

I would imagine that should Atlantic Guns get in touch with the proper person at MSP and submit information showing that the C308 is not parts interchangeable with a G3 because it uses a different bolt, etc, that MSP would likely reverse that decision. In any case, by MSPs own guidance it's up to the FFL anyways.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

1. MSP themselves have said, in writing, in response to a lawsuit, that the list on that website is NOT legally binding and is presented only as "helpful information" to those wanting to make a purchase, and that the final decision is up to the FFL.

2. MSP has frequently in the past revised that website based on submissions form FFLs (and maybe private citizens, though I'm not sure on that one) where there's a situation like this where a rifle listed as banned should not be based on the interchangeable parts rule. (Which is itself, of course, only a decision made by MSP since the law doesn't define what a "copy" of a banned rifle is.)

I would imagine that should Atlantic Guns get in touch with the proper person at MSP and submit information showing that the C308 is not parts interchangeable with a G3 because it uses a different bolt, etc, that MSP would likely reverse that decision. In any case, by MSPs own guidance it's up to the FFL anyways.

Exactly. It is up to the FFL. I know of at least one shop where these are available right now.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG

Oh I agree they aren't a copy of the G3. The bolt and carrier don't interchange.
    The G3 was developed from the CETME after Spain adopted the 7.62 NATO version (Modelo B?). So their reasoning on the clone issue is backwards and flawed.
    As Century says on their website they are built from demilled CETME kits. You can't drop in G3 parts.
    Good luck in getting it allowed. I would like to build one.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    As said previously, if articulated correctly it should be cleared from being a copy due to dissimilar parts. Subscribed to this thread as if it is cleared I will be picking one up.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    What effort? Did they submit?

I thought they did (?) o/w what was the point of this thread?

"Unfortunately they are banned in MD but Atlantic Firearms is going to submit to MSP that these are not a copy of the G3 because the CETME came before the G3 and not all G3 parts will interchange with the C308."

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I thought they did (?) o/w what was the point of this thread?

"Unfortunately they are banned in MD but Atlantic Firearms is going to submit to MSP that these are not a copy of the G3 because the CETME came before the G3 and not all G3 parts will interchange with the C308."

We plan on doing more research on this and hope to write up a presentation to MSP . Any other input your guys N gals may have is welcome !

Last input from Atlantic on this thread above. I hoping for a good result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom