• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Agree

Wouldn't it be smarter for all of us to get a MD hunting license and hugely increase the number of licenses issued? Might make the MGA less inclined to pursue additional anti-gun legislation if a big lion roars back instead of a tiny cub.

Agree. If everyone that owns a gun in MD bought a hunting license, the demorats would finally understand how large a voting block they risk alienating with their anti-gun legislation. It would also be interesting to learn what the ratio of MD gun owners to hunters is in this state.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Agree. If everyone that owns a gun in MD bought a hunting license, the demorats would finally understand how large a voting block they risk alienating with their anti-gun legislation. It would also be interesting to learn what the ratio of MD gun owners to hunters is in this state.

Ok - so we can all agree that hunters can be activists for Pro 2A.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Wouldn't it be smarter for all of us to get a MD hunting license and hugely increase the number of licenses issued? Might make the MGA less inclined to pursue additional anti-gun legislation if a big lion roars back instead of a tiny cub.

I'll admit that your approach is more positive and does not hold the habitat hostage (as opposed to the ugly tactics used by anti 2A). I guess my question would be where is the teeth in this, the leverage? Not saying it could not work, just seems like there needs to be more to it.

Freak Show

Feb 27, 2018
    Milford, DE
    I went to a few gun stores over the weekend and the people working there along with customers all agreed. The politicians don't care what we have to say. You can jump up and down in front of them telling them what you think and it doesn't matter. They have their minds set on pleasing these teenagers out there and saving the lives of school children before they will appease the minds of the one's who actually matter. You know, us tax payers

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I like the outside the box thinking of the idea but I don't think it has the weight to make a difference and I don't think the participation would be there. People have all kinds of money wrapped up in clubs and leases that could have taken years to get in or become available. Then you have the fact that the license in other states being 5-10x more expensive than the MD in state license, not to mention the travel/lodging costs. It has come to the point where no one wants to hear differing opinions and with social media and bias media, they don't have to.

PatRiot 104

Oct 24, 2008
    Catonsville
    My Two 'Sense'

dreadpirate, I like your thinking and want to believe your heart is in the right place. Out of state licenses are quite a bit more expensive and some require harvest tag lotteries for big game species. Also there's the issue of not owning and not having familiarity of the layout of the land. I have a heck of a time finding even one other hunter to join me on a hunt. It seems nobody is willing to make time anymore for the activity. Our numbers are few and dwindling every year.

Both Howard & Montgomery Co, utilize Park Rangers and sometimes County LE to snipe deer with night vision ops and suppressed bolt action .308s; ask me how I know

I'm not here to bat down your seemingly good intentions without recommending something instead. We need to do more range days with MD Shooters, we need to organize and assemble. Shoot for a Cure, Guns For Good.

PepeLePewPew

Dec 21, 2017
    Out of curiosity, is there room for diversity of opinion here?
    I'm a gun owner, and I think the NRA takes things WAAAYYY too far. I think there are real problems with some gun regulations proposed, mostly because categorizing guns is inherently problematic, but I don't have any problem with lots of the ideas out there: massively improving background checks, for example.
    Now, if everyone's just going to start name-calling, I'm not going to engage. But it seems to me there's a legitimate spectrum of possibilities in the regulatory world: Something like no firearms on one end, and nukes-for-all at the other. A few lines in the sand are established: no machine guns, essentially, for example (even more so with bump stock bans). Now, machine guns might be cool and fun, but they aren't hunting weapons and they aren't really smart home-defense weapons, I would argue. Apparently, enough agree that it doesn't come up often.
    So my question is: do most people here feel some regulation has a place, and this is/should be a discussion about getting it right, or do most people earnestly believe a criminally insane escapee ought to be able to go into a gun store and walk out with a machine gun (and a nuke)?
    I really am curious about peoples thinking (rather than just their volume), and hope that this doesn't just fan a flame war...

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Out of curiosity, is there room for diversity of opinion here?
    I'm a gun owner, and I think the NRA takes things WAAAYYY too far. I think there are real problems with some gun regulations proposed, mostly because categorizing guns is inherently problematic, but I don't have any problem with lots of the ideas out there: massively improving background checks, for example.
    Now, if everyone's just going to start name-calling, I'm not going to engage. But it seems to me there's a legitimate spectrum of possibilities in the regulatory world: Something like no firearms on one end, and nukes-for-all at the other. A few lines in the sand are established: no machine guns, essentially, for example (even more so with bump stock bans). Now, machine guns might be cool and fun, but they aren't hunting weapons and they aren't really smart home-defense weapons, I would argue. Apparently, enough agree that it doesn't come up often.
    So my question is: do most people here feel some regulation has a place, and this is/should be a discussion about getting it right, or do most people earnestly believe a criminally insane escapee ought to be able to go into a gun store and walk out with a machine gun (and a nuke)?
    I really am curious about peoples thinking (rather than just their volume), and hope that this doesn't just fan a flame war...

I firmly believe the goal of the left (and some on the right) is a complete and total ban on possession of firearms for private citizens. I believe this because of what I can see and by their own words and actions. Not because the NRA or Fox News told me so.

Given their stance, there is no option but to completely oppose any and all additional infringements and discussions of compromise are closed.

awg9tech

Jan 7, 2013
    Think different.

I think we should just infiltrate uber liberal organizations, become bombthrowers, cause dissentions in the ranks and just come here to strategize and laugh.

Sign up at moveon.org. They’ll keep you updated via email on the latest campaign. You’ll hear about it a few days before the MSM gets their talking points.

Every so often they’ll have a free bumper sticker campaign. Sign up for the free sticker. Some volunteer will put it in an envelope, add postage and drop it off at the post office. Once received, pull off the backing, wad it up and throw it in the trash. I like to think of it as a “reverse donation”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom