• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I am looking at buying my first gun since 1989. That was a Marlin 60, that I picked up from Best Catalog Showroom. Anybody remember them?

What I was wondering is what "extra costs" I can expect. Meaning, if I go to the web site of one of the IPs here and they list the Apocalypse Arms "Zombie Slayer" in 9mm for $500, what can I realistically expect to pay when I walk out the door? I have seen posts about some dealers requiring you to buy a bore lock from them. Are there other mandatory fees that will be added to the cost of the gun? I am just trying to figure out what my final price will be. Thanks in advance for any help.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I am looking at buying my first gun since 1989. That was a Marlin 60, that I picked up from Best Catalog Showroom. Anybody remember them?

What I was wondering is what "extra costs" I can expect. Meaning, if I go to the web site of one of the IPs here and they list the Apocalypse Arms "Zombie Slayer" in 9mm for $500, what can I realistically expect to pay when I walk out the door? I have seen posts about some dealers requiring you to buy a bore lock from them. Are there other mandatory fees that will be added to the cost of the gun? I am just trying to figure out what my final price will be. Thanks in advance for any help.

Got your HQL yet?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If you factor in the cost of an HQL class, fingerprinting, MSP fee for HQL, fee for background check, sales tax, etc., it gets pretty expensive!!

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I have my HQL, so I am just looking for the costs involved with the gut itself. Taxes, background check, transfer fees, MD needs more money fees, etc.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'm guessing it's not standardized, so you will have to call each dealer you're considering to see what their add-ons are.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    i'm guessing it's not standardized, so you will have to call each dealer you're considering to see what their add-ons are.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. Kind of like buying tires. It is hard to comparison shop without a true, final price.

I know that if you ship a gun in through an FFL, they will have a fee for that, but I did not know if the same thing applied to a gun bought from their stock or if they have the fee, but have it already figured into the price.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    That's kind of what I was afraid of. Kind of like buying tires. It is hard to comparison shop without a true, final price.

I know that if you ship a gun in through an FFL, they will have a fee for that, but I did not know if the same thing applied to a gun bought from their stock or if they have the fee, but have it already figured into the price.

I'd call around and see if the dealer could order it for you. Could reduce or eliminate the transfer fee associated with purchasing online and shipping to the dealer of your choice.

Transfer fees are all over the place, some of which are extreme. Don't forget to add in tax or shipping, plus the cost of a MD approved lock. You could ask for an OTD price.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    MSP Fee: 10.00
    Bore Lock: Approximately 20.00 -30.00 (If you can borrow one in the caliber you are buying, some shops let you provide the lock and not pay the fee)
    Sales tax

ETA: If transferring in, contact the shop first. Some are more transfer friendly than others. Fees vary widely.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    If the shop has the gun instore no biggie. But most times they get the gun at there cost and mark it up for profit and most time included in that price is shipping. But 6% sales tax, $10 background, gun lock depends maybe $15-40+\- depending on caliber and barrel length and brand. There is two options that work at most stores not all. One bring you own lock or borrowed lock there's a whole thread on here about loaning them out and some store will allow you to return the lock next day and get your money or most of it back.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Best Co.

KJackson, I can't believe I finally share an experience with a fellow gun purchaser from that wonderful catalog store known as Best.

I got the most beautiful Remington 22 rifle from the Best location in Towson at the shopping center once named Eudowood. I do not have pics of it on my computer but it had elegant fleur de lis engravings on the furniture. Mine is known as the BDL Speedmaster and it is a 22 with a tube magazine.

As for your price for a handgun. Plan on $50 for fingerprinting, more $$$ for Submitting the paperwork so essentially at least $150-$200 on top of the cost of the pistol and taxes etc.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Applicable to Blue Fins ONLY
    IN STOCK GUNS
    Price (we'll say $100 cause I'm not good at math)
    Tax* (6% or $6)
    MSP fee ($10 payable by credit card by the purchaser)
    Bore Lock $20-30 (can't remember offhand)

TRANSFERS
    Price of gun
    Shipping (depends on who you purchase it from)
    Transfer $25 for MDS members
    MSP Fee $10
    Can't remember if we collect taxes on transfers

*If at a show and paying cash, Dave can usually be convinced to eat the tax although this is a case by case basis

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I bought my very first gun from Best, a Ruger 10/22 .22LR carbine. Still have it today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Having just done all this to make my first purchase in years, I can tell you the process is maddening. After paying $100 and answering all sorts of identity and background questions to get an HQL in order to prove you are OK to own a handgun, they make you give them all the exact same information and another $10 a week later for the form 77R . . .to prove you are OK to own a handgun.

I know - Maryland, but seriously, WTF?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    KJackson, I can't believe I finally share an experience with a fellow gun purchaser from that wonderful catalog store known as Best.

I got the most beautiful Remington 22 rifle from the Best location in Towson at the shopping center once named Eudowood. I do not have pics of it on my computer but it had elegant fleur de lis engravings on the furniture. Mine is known as the BDL Speedmaster and it is a 22 with a tube magazine.

As for your price for a handgun. Plan on $50 for fingerprinting, more $$$ for Submitting the paperwork so essentially at least $150-$200 on top of the cost of the pistol and taxes etc.

Best Company in Rockville, MD, got my first gun ever there.

A Remington 750 in 30-06.

Loved that store.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    we used to have a thread and a list of people with borelocks to loan. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone on here able to loan you one.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    My first 4 guns came from Best Products:
    Beretta AL2 12 ga
    H&R Topper .410
    Marlin 989M2
    Winchester 94-22

They had great prices on guns in the 70's

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I guess I will be doing some shopping around while I am at the show this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom