• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    There is one at the intersection of South St off Route 1 behind where the Vehicles for Change used to be. No irony there...

They are in the flood zone so I keep an eye out if we get heavy rain and I'm in the area. Patapsco can rise pretty fast in that area.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...fice-says-it-can’t-do-anything-210607842.html

If I were the soldier in this squatting story, it would likely end with deaths and probably prison time.

Squatting is no different than a home invasion, so I fail to see how the sheriff's office has no recourse here. It's pretty damned obvious - get them out, and charge them with tresspassing. Who holds the deed? They're the owner. Clear and simple.

People in this day and age have let themselves become prisoners of fallacious reasoning. Their brains have become conditioned to be paralyzed whenever they're faced with something that contradicts their social programming. It is learned helplessness, on a societal scale.

Anyone remember the video showing people stuck on the escalator when it stops? Guess what - we're there.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    The place I'm talking about is in Elkridge but its the same basic problem for the people living by the river.

yep - aware of the locations. Just pointing out that "camps" being swept away is more frequent than thought. There was also a drowning last year in Laurel with the same circumstances.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Squatting is no different than a home invasion, so I fail to see how the sheriff's office has no recourse here. It's pretty damned obvious - get them out, and charge them with tresspassing. Who holds the deed? They're the owner. Clear and simple.

The problem is the so called "verbal contract", because of a third party was given a power-of-attorney.

The moral of the story: do not give anyone power-of-attorney.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...fice-says-it-can’t-do-anything-210607842.html

If I were the soldier in this squatting story, it would likely end with deaths and probably prison time.

I think dressing up as the Grim Reaper and kicking a door down would be appropriate here. "I'm sorry officer, I am not sure what happened there last night, as I was busy sleeping. Proof of where I was? Do you have proof I wasn't there?" If that happened to me, I'm not even sure I'd call the local police here, as little confidence I have in them is.

On a side note, the other day coming home from Taneytown, just down from the circle, on the right side, there was a camp of about 5-6 tents and lines for clothing. I haven't seen the tent behind our houses in a while. Don't know if it's blocked by all the downed trees, or they left when the trees started coming down.

cwalker3

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    For 20 years I worked as the Chief Engineer of the high rise building at Light and Pratt Sts. One of the entrances to our garage was a long, heated corridor on St. Paul St. In the winter we would have up to a dozen or more homeless people sleep there at night. The guards hassled them at first but they kept coming back. Since they never caused us any problems we came to an agreement with them. They chose one person as their "leader" and she was in charge of the group. They kept quiet, no fights or they were put out by the others, no destruction of property and they cleaned up the area before they left in the morning. Somehow none of this ever got back to the building owners who would have certainly had a fit over our arrangement. But not having to put these people out in the 10 degree night felt good and the risk of management finding out was worth it.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    What happened to the couple in FL is just flat out criminal. It happens in CA more than most people realize.
    As for the general situation it's a crying shame that mentally ill Vets and citizens get no help. I;m willing to bet there are very few if any illegals in these camps as our government sees fit to house, feed and clothe them because they have so many advocacy groups working for them.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have four HoCo squad cars in my office parking lot right now checking on my "neighbor" in the woods. Seems he threatened his girlfriend with a machete and the girl's mom didn't like it too much. I walked out to my truck to get something and here's this lady asking me to call the police. Not sure if the girl's mom is trying to do an intervention or what.
    :popcorn:

tharbold

Nov 7, 2013
    Sykesville, Maryland
    Along with the recurrent one (squatter's camp) along Railroad Avenue (Route 27) in Westminster, there used to be one, while I was working as a security guard at the Mall, on the big hill right across from Boxcov's, at the junction of 27 and 140. Not sure what the status of either of them is at the moment, as I'm down in Sykesville now and don't get there as often as I used to...

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    For 20 years I worked as the Chief Engineer of the high rise building at Light and Pratt Sts. One of the entrances to our garage was a long, heated corridor on St. Paul St. In the winter we would have up to a dozen or more homeless people sleep there at night. The guards hassled them at first but they kept coming back. Since they never caused us any problems we came to an agreement with them. They chose one person as their "leader" and she was in charge of the group. They kept quiet, no fights or they were put out by the others, no destruction of property and they cleaned up the area before they left in the morning. Somehow none of this ever got back to the building owners who would have certainly had a fit over our arrangement. But not having to put these people out in the 10 degree night felt good and the risk of management finding out was worth it.

:innocent0

Somehow I get the feeling God is smiling and approves with how you handled this.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    There used to be a small camp at the NW corner of Rt 1 and 100 in Elkridge.

Saw the MSP running them out last fall, a No Trespassing sign went up and they haven't been back since.

Ours is across from the race track in Laurel, just south of the eastbound lanes and about 100 yards from Route 198. Can't see it now due to the vegetation but it is several tents grouped together. Have never seen any lights over there or any movement but I am sure it is occupied. We have a lot of unemployed in Laurel and the track has always attracted those on the lower end of the pay scale. And, nowdays Laurel attracts a wad of illegals, foreigners and employees of UN Hq South! It is no longer the quiet little redneckish town of the past. Been here 30 years and leaving on the next train headed west.

Lew--Ranger63

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom