• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    I recently began the process. At the Sheriffs office I had my fingerprints taken and they charged me 54.50 $20 for taking the prints and 34.50 for the CJIS fee which I am assuming is the background check. Now I am also being charged $50 for the permit which I know does not include the fingerprint fee but I would think this should have included the CJIS background check. Am I paying twice for the same thing?

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    OK, but if I went to one of the private fingerprinting companies I would not be paying the CJIS fee to them right? I thought this would be part of the $50

34.50 is the fee the state charges any LE Agency or private provider to submit a set of prints for a background check. $20 is the service fee for the Sheriff's Office to scan your prints. $50 is the FEE for the state to issue you an HQL.

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    I was talking with the person running the FP setup at the Sheriffs office and they were saying that this should eliminate the 7 day wait requirement. I said it did not but they were certain of it. Funny, I picked up a lower last month and the 7 day was still there in full force.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    if having an hql meant there was no longer the 8 day wait i would have a lot less to complain about... instead its just a $90 for MD revenue generator, and a cost for buying handguns...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    if having an hql meant there was no longer the 8 day wait i would have a lot less to complain about... instead its just a $90 for MD revenue generator, and a cost for buying handguns...

Unfortunately, we had a report here on MDS about someone who got their HDL and then be denied a purchase because of an issue between the two things.

Just reinforces the state's position.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yup, those are different. Also: another 10 for the backgroung check (again) then (maybe) 15 for spent shell casing if your gun does not come with one, then more for an "integrated lock" aka bore lock if you need that too.

Blue Fins

Aug 23, 2011
    The HQL is good for 10 years. PLEASE be sure you renew it early.
    I don't know if the MSP will remind you. I know that they WILL NOT remind you about your concealed carry permit, and you have to send that information in at least 90 days in advance of your renewal.
    The 7 day wait is still in effect.
    There is still a 10.00 charge to the dealers for the MSP background check

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The HQL background check SHOULD also be good for at least the first handgun purchase, since you wouldn't be getting an HQL unless you were preparing to make a purchase. Turn around and pay another fee the same day for another background check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom