• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I've seen this particular line several times. Not a viable argument. If your doctor recommends that you keep your firearms locked, ammunition separate, out of reach of children etc. there is no liability if you don't do that. It's in you. ;)

Yes, for the most part. But some doctor somewhere down the line is going to go all-expert and suggest something that goes sideways. Further, what about a doctor who thinks his patient is a little "odd," then after the profession has assumed liability for counseling on gun safety, recommends as you say rather than going farther (e.g. to 1302 him), then the oddball goes whacko and commits a crime? The plaintiffs will go after the deep pockets, e.g. the doctor. The first several cases will go nowhere, but the facts and arguments will evolve. That's how tort law evolves.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes, for the most part. But some doctor somewhere down the line is going to go all-expert and suggest something that goes sideways. Further, what about a doctor who thinks his patient is a little "odd," then after the profession has assumed liability for counseling on gun safety, recommends as you say rather than going farther (e.g. to 1302 him), then the oddball goes whacko and commits a crime? The plaintiffs will go after the deep pockets, e.g. the doctor. The first several cases will go nowhere, but the facts and arguments will evolve. That's how tort law evolves.
    Just what I need....more liability. Frankly, if I had to do it over, I would not be a doc.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Just what I need....more liability. Frankly, if I had to do it over, I would not be a doc.

With your hair, definitely a “head model” for those barbershop styling posters and pictures

And your success with marketing and modeling hair care products would have been amazing.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    With your hair, definitely a “head model” for those barbershop styling posters and pictures

And your success with marketing and modeling hair care products would have been amazing.

LOL. Maybe it isn’t too late!!!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If your doctor starts asking about anything gun related (unless they’re asking to go shoot), ask them do they practice medicine responsibly? Start telling them ways to avoid killing patients, after all it’s for the greater good. Besides, doctors kill more patients every year due to malpractice than people are killed with guns every year in the US.

(I am not railing on doctors here just pointing out statistics.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Id rather have ladder safety laws... I only hurt my self in my home after 15 years with improper ladder use. :rolleyes:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If a doctor engages me about guns we will have a thorough discussion of his/her qualifications versus mine on the subject and I will end with inviting them to the range so I can instruct them and give them an opportunity to safely experience the shooting sports.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If a doctor engages me about guns we will have a thorough discussion of his/her qualifications versus mine on the subject and I will end with inviting them to the range so I can instruct them and give them an opportunity to safely experience the shooting sports.

Let’s go. You covering ammo????

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Let’s go. You covering ammo????

You have to lecture me first Doc, but for a look at your hair I'll cover the ammo and bring along my manly handgun for you to try. The range is in Quarryville PA let me know when you would like to get together and what you like to shoot via PM.:D

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    As a medical student I assisted in a surgery where a .25 auto was surgically removed from a rectum. There was one on the chamber.

That's not what they mean by Wear and Carry. He's doing it wrong. It's IWB, not inside the sphincter. :sad20:

Out of curiosity, did the procedure involve a speculum, or was it actual surgery?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You have to lecture me first Doc, but for a look at your hair I'll cover the ammo and bring along my manly handgun for you to try. The range is in Quarryville PA let me know when you would like to get together and what you like to shoot via PM.:D
    I have ammo and manly handguns. Well, my wife has manly handguns she lets me use. Quarryville has a 500 yd range, no? Would be fun to shoot with you.
    That's not what they mean by Wear and Carry. He's doing it wrong. It's IWB, not inside the sphincter. :sad20:

Out of curiosity, did the procedure involve a speculum, or was it actual surgery?
    It was an actual surgery. Back story is I did my obstetrics rotation in Detroit. I was living in a hotel and bored to tears. Did not like obstetrics so hung around the ER when I could. They let me sew up wounds, put in lines, do spinal taps etc. Police brought a guy in. Convicted felon, so when he realized capture was imminent he put his .25 up his ass. X-ray confirmed a round in the chamber, so abdomen was opened to get the gun out. It was the safest way to go. I held retractors.

As a medical student I assisted in a surgery where a .25 auto was surgically removed from a rectum. There was one on the chamber.

I have ammo and manly handguns. Well, my wife has manly handguns she lets me use. Quarryville has a 500 yd range, no? Would be fun to shoot with you.

It was an actual surgery. Back story is I did my obstetrics rotation in Detroit. I was living in a hotel and bored to tears. Did not like obstetrics so hung around the ER when I could. They let me sew up wounds, put in lines, do spinal taps etc. Police brought a guy in. Convicted felon, so when he realized capture was imminent he put his .25 up his ass. X-ray confirmed a round in the chamber, so abdomen was opened to get the gun out. It was the safest way to go. I held retractors.

Was it per chance at DMC and involved a Taurus flip top .25ACP?
    If so, that was an embarrassing night.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    But what if someone tries to make the case that you SHOULD have recommended against driving/golfing/sushi-making-with-knives and didn't? Are you obliged to understand every possible risky activity and recommend against all of them, or can you insulate yourself just by saying, "You're not up to many risky activities any more, so don't do risky things."

As it is now, patients can sign a consent form stating their understanding of possible complications from surgery and medications yet go on to a lawsuit when one of those complications, that they acknowledged and agreed could happen, occurs to them. The insurance companys and patients are very willing to accept a settlement and the malpractice lawyers won't charge if they don't win. Facts, agreements to accept known risks, personal responsibility, etc. have little to do with the end result- gaining a monetary payout by any means necessary

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    As it is now, patients can sign a consent form stating their understanding of possible complications from surgery and medications yet go on to a lawsuit when one of those complications, that they acknowledged and agreed could happen, occurs to them. The insurance companys and patients are very willing to accept a settlement and the malpractice lawyers won't charge if they don't win. Facts, agreements to accept known risks, personal responsibility, etc. have little to do with the end result- gaining a monetary payout by any means necessary
    Well stated, sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom