• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Looking for an idea on value, this is a Davidsons import from '92 from Israel. It's in pretty good shape maybe not even shot since bought. Thanks.

Jul 1, 2012
    Import mark + probably "updated" and mixed parts?
    Sure it's one of the "rarer" mfg but since it's an import it won't bring more than shooter $$ IMHO.
    If by some miracle it escaped upgrades and still has original SP parts then it'll bump it up some.
    gut feeling is $800-ish but if you see it on a grey blanket it might double that :)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    $700 import marked, $800 to $900 without import marks.

If I remember the Israeli stuff it should be import marked and they tended to be ridden pretty hard.

Early parts will majorly increase price as with most carbines.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    It has an Inland barrel so definitely not an all original piece. Have not taken it apart to check the rest yet.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    It has an Inland barrel so definitely not an all original piece. Have not taken it apart to check the rest yet.

Not necessarily. Inland is an appropriate barrel for a Standard Products. Unlike some manufacturers like inland Standard Products heavily used the contractor pool. There really isn't something that is a "correct" carbine. Though certain manufactures combos are correct or not correct. The post WWII rebuilds further complicated this by adding new parts and mixing up older parts.

I generally look at it this way

True Correct: WWII as issued, barrel receiver combo correct for the era (e.g., SP/Marlin, SP/Inland would be correct) pushbutton safety, no bayo lug, flip site, you can get down to barrel bands.
    Everything else: I consider correct having a receiver and barrel combo that is right with the barrel being WWII dated.

http://m1family.com/a-little-history-of-standard-products-and-its-carb-t26.html

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Barrel is dated 5-44! So a WWII issue DOES NOT have a bayonet lug? This has the bayonet lug and the rotating safety. Can't take pics right now, phone dead. Trigger housing is Inland also.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Barrel is dated 5-44! So a WWII issue DOES NOT have a bayonet lug? This has the bayonet lug and the rotating safety. Can't take pics right now, phone dead. Trigger housing is Inland also.

Correct bayo lugs were post ware rebuilds. That's why ones with early features are so rare.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Correct bayo lugs were post ware rebuilds. That's why ones with early features are so rare.

Yup. Though isn’t the flip safety a late war change?

For instance, my Inland Carbine has an Inland Barrel and basically everything else stamped Inland. Barrel and receiver are within about 2 months of each other for manufacture date, so likely they are original to each other. It has a kensight rear sight however as the old flip sight is lost to the vagaries of time. Otherwise I am almost positive it was as issued and never arsenal refurbished. Original (or correct) Barrel band without bayonet luv, push button safety, etc.

But Inland made all of the parts and generally used all of their own parts. Most of the small guys didn’t.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Yup. Though isn’t the flip safety a late war change?

For instance, my Inland Carbine has an Inland Barrel and basically everything else stamped Inland. Barrel and receiver are within about 2 months of each other for manufacture date, so likely they are original to each other. It has a kensight rear sight however as the old flip sight is lost to the vagaries of time. Otherwise I am almost positive it was as issued and never arsenal refurbished. Original (or correct) Barrel band without bayonet luv, push button safety, etc.

But Inland made all of the parts and generally used all of their own parts. Most of the small guys didn’t.

I think that's correct. What I have heard is that the adjustable sight started being installed post the 5 million mark on Inland. See attached link. You are correct, if any M1 will be "uniform" in manufacturer its Inland and Winchester.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...ww2-m1-carbine-picture-adjustable-rear-sight/

This is a classic example of why early featured M1s go for so much money. Not only is it confusing almost all were converted. Most exiting GIs (they way I have heard) didn't see a reason to buy theirs (as opposed to a more useful gun for hunting or home defense) most went back into Uncle Sam's locker and were hence reordinanced. The only other legitimate path I can think of for original configurations is those that might have been loaned out for occupation purposes.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Carbines generally seem to have a much higher proportion wearing their original barrels than Garands and '03 rifles. Carbine ammunition was always specified to be non-corrosive where .30-06 was corrosive until the 1950s so there was less chance of a corroded bore.

Regardless of whether the carbine you have has seen rebuilding it's still a M1 Carbine and a piece of history...as well as possible Israeli history. Enjoy it for what it is.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Carbines generally seem to have a much higher proportion wearing their original barrels than Garands and '03 rifles. Carbine ammunition was always specified to be non-corrosive where .30-06 was corrosive until the 1950s so there was less chance of a corroded bore.

Regardless of whether the carbine you have has seen rebuilding it's still a M1 Carbine and a piece of history...as well as possible Israeli history. Enjoy it for what it is.

You also have much lower powder charges and velocities. So barrel erosion is going to be a lot lower. I’d assume on the scale of tens of thousands of rounds versus several thousand rounds that a Garand “can take”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom