• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/19-114.html

This is a pro se case, the petition for Scotus seems rather short. NJ waived their response however Scotus asked for a response only days later. Oddly Scotus hasn't asked for a response (and NJ hasn't even waived) in the non pro se case of Cheeseman.

Maybe SCOTUS needs more than a day to determine if they want a response. It took them 5 days to determine that they wanted a response in this case. In Caetano, it took them 11 days.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Maybe SCOTUS needs more than a day to determine if they want a response. It took them 5 days to determine that they wanted a response in this case. In Caetano, it took them 11 days.

It's possible not all cases go on the same time track. NJ filed no response nor waived it in Cheeseman, so they are 2 weeks late in that case.

Here, they filed the waiver mere days after the petition was filed. Very unlike a state's attorney to file so early, even if it is only a waiver.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    It's possible not all cases go on the same time track. NJ filed no response nor waived it in Cheeseman, so they are 2 weeks late in that case.

Here, they filed the waiver mere days after the petition was filed. Very unlike a state's attorney to file so early, even if it is only a waiver.

I suspect all cases go on the same track. They wait for a response, then review the case to determine if they want put it on the discuss list. They usually request a response for those cases that they may want to put on the discuss list. I suspect they need to wait to determine if a wavier was received before finishing the review because any response will help them determine the answer. In Cheeseman they likely waited a few more weeks to ensure that there was no response so the review will be delayed because of this. In this case the reply was given quickly so they could then review the case earlier to determine if they want do put it on the discuss list, which is what happened.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    What I dont get is why the NJ AG failed to file a waiver in one case (Cheeseman) but not this.

Maybe the AG mixed up the two cases and intended to send the Cheeseman response, but sent it for this case instead.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    What I dont get is why the NJ AG failed to file a waiver in one case (Cheeseman) but not this.

The case with appointed counsel goes first (pro se are appointed counsel after cert grant) and establishes crappy precedent vs the heavily backed case they intentionally sandbagged is held for GVR.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Not sure I follow what you mean.

Perhaps he means NJ is trying to speed the pro se case along, hoping that it gets heard over the more professionally run case?
    At this point I doubt it matters with the growing number of carry cases already being held by Scotus.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    In any event, you can bet that the first case that actually gets heard will have amicus briefs as far as the eye can see. And the main brief/oral arguments would probably be taken over by counsel provided by SAF or the NRA. Alan Gura, Paul Clement, or both.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The US Solicitor General requested 10 minutes at oral for NYSRPA. I would expect a similar request for any other 2A case that the Supreme Court grants. Any case that the Supreme Court grants will be well argued on our side.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Correct on both counts.

Perhaps he means NJ is trying to speed the pro se case along, hoping that it gets heard over the more professionally run case?
    At this point I doubt it matters with the growing number of carry cases already being held by Scotus.

In Cheeseman, the counsel of record (David Jensen) is also on the Gould case as co-counsel. I thought Jensen was on another of the cases as well.

Its not clear why NJ would let Cheeseman slip since the petition says:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/19/19-27/104463/20190628130131199_Cheeseman Petition.pdf
    In this Petition, we explain that—if this Court is indeed ready to resolve the lower courts’ conflict—New Jersey is the ideal State for this Court to review. It ishighly unlikely that the “need” requirement will change, as New Jersey law firmly embraces it, and change would require legislative action that is highly unlikely to occur. Moreover, New Jersey laws govern the general act of carrying a gun, not just the specific act of concealed carry, so potential distinctions based on concealment will not unduly complicate this Court’s review. Finally, there is no realistic possibility that the Supreme Court of New Jersey will take action to change the substantive parameters of the “need”requirement—to the extent it even could—as this very court turned down the opportunity to review the case at bar not even two months ago. This Petition is also the ideal vehicle for this Court to review New Jersey’s “need”-based scheme. This case was fully litigated in the courts below.

One would think that in Cheeseman NJ would file a waiver or at least cut and paste their response in Rogers. Hard to fathom why NJ dropped this.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    just curious here, that folks mention pro se cases get expedited treatment.

young v hawaii was pro se the ferst several of 8 years. why did it move so slowly? (until wolfwood got involved)

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    just curious here, that folks mention pro se cases get expedited treatment.

young v hawaii was pro se the ferst several of 8 years. why did it move so slowly? (until wolfwood got involved)

Our theory was that NJ waived their response quickly so that the pro se case would move quicker. I don't think pro se cases would normally move faster or slower than regular cases.

As far as Young, that's the 9th circuit. Nuff said.....

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/Docket...ris County BIO Petition Aug 22 2019 EFile.pdf

The state (represented here by Morris County) has filed their response 2 weeks early, a rare occurrence. I can't help but wonder that they are moving quickly on this case for whatever reason.
    The brief is more of the same we've come to expect from NJ. No split here since you can carry at a place of business and target ranges in NJ and you can't in DC (which I think isn't the case though I could be wrong). Also, the NJ courts have upheld "justifiable need" so no need for SCOTUS to intervene.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom