• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I finally signed up for Krav Maga and have been taking classes twice a week for about 2 months now. I highly recommend it. The defensive techniques are based on the body's natural reactions, and the combatives are brutal. I never even knew how to throw a punch until I started Krav (it's not all arms, it has a lot in common with swinging a bat). I feel much more prepared to whoop ass if I need to.:kicknuts:

The only downside is that it's not cheap. There is a $100 join fee and $120/month for a 6 month commitment. The monthly fee drops to $80/month if you commit for two years. I'll at least do it for a year and reevaluate if I want to do it longer.

Anyway, might be something to consider if you're looking for a healthy alternative to sitting in front of the computer or television for hours:D

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    They also have a location in Columbia, and for the price, you can go to as many classes a day/week as you qualify for and are able to do.

My wife and I made it to level 2 and were getting ready to test out to level 3 before our work schedules made it all but impossible to find suitable time to go. We had three years under our belts and went on a daily basis and taking two classes a day when we had a chance, and sometimes three (level 1, level 2, fight class, heavy bag class, etc.)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There is one located in Germantown, its called Infinite Fighting Concepts and they offer 30 day free trial!

http://ifcmma.com/

According to this page: http://www.kravmd.com/locations/affiliates/#.U3Lgr14Y_WU

They are not a licensed affiliate, nor do the show up on the Krav Maga Worldwide site: http://www.kravmaga.com/locations/l...nseesaffiliates-worldwide-all-locations-list/

So, while they may train in Krav Maga, they are not an official training facility for Krav Maga.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'm taking it at Krav Maga Maryland, at the Columbia location. While the membership is not cheap, you can take as many classes as you want. I go twice a week (Tues/Thurs), but I could go twice a day if I had time.

Also, learning a self defense is investing your time, not spending it. The fact that you get is better shape (if you're not already working out, as you should be) is just a cherry on top.

http://www.kravmd.com/

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    They also have a location in Columbia, and for the price, you can go to as many classes a day/week as you qualify for and are able to do.

My wife and I made it to level 2 and were getting ready to test out to level 3 before our work schedules made it all but impossible to find suitable time to go. We had three years under our belts and went on a daily basis and taking two classes a day when we had a chance, and sometimes three (level 1, level 2, fight class, heavy bag class, etc.)

That's really cool. Who was your favorite instructor?

I saw one of the fight classes in progress the other day, looks freaking bad ass!!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That's really cool. Who was your favorite instructor?

I saw one of the fight classes in progress the other day, looks freaking bad ass!!

My wife and I had several, but because we were students with them, Jeff Marcus and Ryan.

When we started we had Jeff Mount and Brian Inagaki (no longer there), and Matt Ketteringham for fight class.

Fight class has come a long way since the first one five years ago. Once our schedules allow, we will be back.

cavpat

Nov 5, 2008
    GB
    (Bringing this thread back from a couple months ago, I know.)
    A friend and I each got a 'cheap' 30 day trial period and had our first class yesterday. I bicycle regularly, but have not lifted/ran/done push-ups in a couple months, and it is a good workout. I'm aiming for 3 days/week, and will make a decision closer to the end of my 30 trial, but so far I like it.
    ...I'm going to the Columbia location, btw.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    (Bringing this thread back from a couple months ago, I know.)
    A friend and I each got a 'cheap' 30 day trial period and had our first class yesterday. I bicycle regularly, but have not lifted/ran/done push-ups in a couple months, and it is a good workout. I'm aiming for 3 days/week, and will make a decision closer to the end of my 30 trial, but so far I like it.
    ...I'm going to the Columbia location, btw.

Awesome! I normally go Tuesdays and Thursdays but have been getting killed at work, so I'm trying to go Thrusdays and Saturday instead, but didn't make it to any classes last week thanks to work and the HoCo gun show.

cavpat

Nov 5, 2008
    GB
    Alphabrew, I'll see you there tomorrow?

Ragnar, it's as physically demanding as you make it. It's a good workout even for someone who's in decent shape, but you can step away to catch your breath/get water/etc anytime you need to. Even doing the jogging/exercises, you can more or less go at your own pace.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    How physically demanding is the class? How might an OFWG fare?

It is as demanding as you make it. They understand that your max effort for the day will vary as well as your max effort is different from mine, or alpha brew's, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom