Maryland Small Arms Range - What an experience! (in a bad way)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    I was there two days ago (Tuesday afternoon) and had no issues at all. Shot the AR and the SKS for the first time and brought a couple of pistols. I was probably there for 3 hours. At one time three of the lanes were in use -- most o the time it was just me an one other lane. Everyone was either off duty LEO or people who were probably a lot more experienced than I am. Will definitely go back.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Sorry to hear you were injured.

Thank you. I was more pissed than I was hurt; probably the reason that I got kicked out. Either way, they should have dealt with the unsafe shooter. There is no reason I should have left with lead in me. Still never going back. Stay safe.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Thank you. I was more pissed than I was hurt; probably the reason that I got kicked out. Either way, they should have dealt with the unsafe shooter. There is no reason I should have left with lead in me. Still never going back. Stay safe.

Sorry to hear that you were injured. Those are some serious allegations and you should have filled a police complaint with your injuries documented.
    If it were me and I felt the range was unsafe I would have packed up. Then I would have calmly alerted the RO as I was leaving.
    I cant imagine any range not taking your safety seriously. I wasn't there and did not know how you handled it but maybe you were disorderly and all over the place that your complaints were lost in the emotional response. Calling the police before contacting the manager or owner might have impacted on you negatively.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    The new place is night and day from the old one, IMO.

I got hit by a bullet fragment that ricocheted off the back stop at the old place and lodged just under the skin of my forearm. Range officers/front counter folks did nothing about it when I reported it. Yeah, while the new physical plant may be night and day better than the old place, the fact that they did nothing about it (like determine if there was a defect in the baffle that caused the return fire) is a PEOPLE problem. That has not changed to my knowledge, I shall never return, and discourage others as well. :mad54:

donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I agree

I got hit by a bullet fragment that ricocheted off the back stop at the old place and lodged just under the skin of my forearm. Range officers/front counter folks did nothing about it when I reported it. Yeah, while the new physical plant may be night and day better than the old place, the fact that they did nothing about it (like determine if there was a defect in the baffle that caused the return fire) is a PEOPLE problem. That has not changed to my knowledge, I shall never return, and discourage others as well. :mad54:

I have only been to the new one. Not a bad physical facility. The staff are NOT customer orientated. and the many, many cowboys with pistols in their hand scared the hell out of me.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I have only been to the new one. Not a bad physical facility. The staff are NOT customer orientated. and the many, many cowboys with pistols in their hand scared the hell out of me.

I have never shot on the pistol side of the range, I have only positive experiences with the rifle side of the range and the staff. Now there is a balance between not having RSOs inside the ranges at all times, and running the range like the NRA range where the RSOs are literally standing on your shoulders. I think MSAR needs to find that happy median. They definitely need to have someone peek their heads in on shooters from time to time, as this is not a regular practice of theirs. I should add that I don't shoot there on busy days or during their busy hours, it makes a world of difference!

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I wents there in the 1990's. "People" (I'll use that term loosely :outta her) were glaring at me for using two hands on a 1911 with the sights at the 12 o'clock position..

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Weekdays are much different than weekends, so there's little or no wait & the clientele is much different.

At the original location it was not unusual to have gangbangers shooting on the range. I'd normally want to correct shooter's issues, but not with these guys. I wasn't going to help them be any more accurate.

I agree there's a need to have full-time RSO's. Have not had a problem early in the day on weekdays, but I won't go there evenings/weekends.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    On my way there for the first time since the Dottrio Shooting Event. One nice thing about being self employed is getting to go to the range with my wife in the middle of a weekday.

troublefunk

Oct 27, 2014
    OK so I've been here a couple times now. This was my first and only range experience in this area. All in all, I've had positive experiences. But some things did make me say WTF??

Like my very first visit to the range. Went by myself on a Saturday afternoon (about noon). My intention was to rent a lane, as well as a pistol, ear protection, etc. The whole works. Keep in mind before this day I had NEVER fired a handgun before. I had what I figured was a "common sense" knowledge of gun safety, plus all the documentation, articles, magazines, and you-tube clips I could possibly view on the subject. No formal training whatsoever. I waited for about 30 minutes for my lane. Not too bad in my opinion. There were a few folks in there using the groupon so the place was pretty crowded. The two ladies who got called up ahead of me were also newbies to firearms. The guy behind the counter asks if either of them had ever handled a firearm before. Both said no, so he took a few minutes to familiarize them with the weapon he was handing over to them. I think I'd be a little concerned being in the lane next to them. But my concerns were quickly forgotten as it was now my turn to approach the counter. I had selected a Glock 19. The guy asked me if I needed ear protection, targets, how many boxes of ammo, etc. Didn't ask if I'd ever fired, held, or even seen a handgun before. Maybe I looked like I knew what I was doing?? Who knows. But just like that, they handed me a firearm, two boxes of ammo, plus the other goodies in a plastic basket and pointed me to the range entrance. They put me on lane 1. Maybe that's the newbie corner because I was at least 3 lanes from the next closest person, and I actually appreciated that. But I didn't appreciate that there was no RSO in there at all. I could have done something really stupid as I'm sure newbies do and no one was around to correct me, yell at me, drag me out by my ears, etc. Knowing there were other newbies in there as well just didn't sit too well with me. I enjoyed my time on the range and made several trips back there since but the way they run the place leaves a bit to be desired. And yeah I'm planning on going back again...

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    OK so I've been here a couple times now. This was my first and only range experience in this area. All in all, I've had positive experiences. But some things did make me say WTF??

Like my very first visit to the range. Went by myself on a Saturday afternoon (about noon). My intention was to rent a lane, as well as a pistol, ear protection, etc. The whole works. Keep in mind before this day I had NEVER fired a handgun before. I had what I figured was a "common sense" knowledge of gun safety, plus all the documentation, articles, magazines, and you-tube clips I could possibly view on the subject. No formal training whatsoever. I waited for about 30 minutes for my lane. Not too bad in my opinion. There were a few folks in there using the groupon so the place was pretty crowded. The two ladies who got called up ahead of me were also newbies to firearms. The guy behind the counter asks if either of them had ever handled a firearm before. Both said no, so he took a few minutes to familiarize them with the weapon he was handing over to them. I think I'd be a little concerned being in the lane next to them. But my concerns were quickly forgotten as it was now my turn to approach the counter. I had selected a Glock 19. The guy asked me if I needed ear protection, targets, how many boxes of ammo, etc. Didn't ask if I'd ever fired, held, or even seen a handgun before. Maybe I looked like I knew what I was doing?? Who knows. But just like that, they handed me a firearm, two boxes of ammo, plus the other goodies in a plastic basket and pointed me to the range entrance. They put me on lane 1. Maybe that's the newbie corner because I was at least 3 lanes from the next closest person, and I actually appreciated that. But I didn't appreciate that there was no RSO in there at all. I could have done something really stupid as I'm sure newbies do and no one was around to correct me, yell at me, drag me out by my ears, etc. Knowing there were other newbies in there as well just didn't sit too well with me. I enjoyed my time on the range and made several trips back there since but the way they run the place leaves a bit to be desired. And yeah I'm planning on going back again...
    Just because they aren't physically on the range doesn't me they arent watching.
    On time recently I was at free state and some guys were a couple lanes down from and there was some unsafe practices occurring. within a minute several free state employees were on the line keeping watch.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I was on a rifle lane yesterday. My son and I were the only people in the 21-25 room. They came in twice. One guy shook the target rail in the next lane, then left. A while later another guy came in and stood in the lane by the wall for a minute, then left. I think they suspected I smuggled in steel ammo since my son thought it would be funny to make a joke about it being at the bottom of the mags while we were signing in.

They never came in while we were shooting shotguns and pistols, so I suspect they do keep an eye on the cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom