• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    I’ve got the itch for a new long range gas gun. Im thinking a AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor would probably be the way to go.

I’m trying to work through either buying a high quality rifle or going through the steps for a precision rifle build. My intent is to use the for PRS matches in the future.

If I buy Im thinking along the lines of a Rise Armament 1131XR or Nemo XO steel.

I’m not opposed to building my AR10 but I really want to squeeze as much accuracy out of a build and really haven’t messed around with precision shooting builds.

Would I be better off buying a complete rifle, or piecing out a precision build? What would be more practical for a PRS gas gun?

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I'm salivating!!! There are also other 6.5 Creedmoor threads on this forum. You could do a search.

Attachments

• PSA Gen 3.jpg
      PSA Gen 3.jpg
      26.2 KB · Views: 352

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I priced out a LaRue 6.5CM Ultimate Upper kit (assembled by LaRue ) and a LaRue Lower vs doing it myself with an aero M5E1 upper and honestly the price wasn’t much different. Would have probably gone with a Criterion nitrided barrel with my build. So if you’re balling on a budget that may be a good option. I have yet to outshoot an AR that I’ve built, but that is probably because I am a poor to mediocre precision shooter.

That said if you have a larger budget and just want the plug and play solution, I would buy whatever makes sense. JP Rifles makes some good options, and GA Precision’s GAP 10 isn’t going to hold you back one bit.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Honestly, if you are doing PRS and are planning on spending 2500, I would build so that I get all of the components that I really wanted in the gun. I mainly shoot bolt guns and tried having a manufacturers rifle but ended up selling it and building my rifle. It was more expensive but in the end, I got exactly what I wanted. I would make sure that you also budget for good glass.

With a gas gun, I would make sure that you know how to build it (I don't know what you have done in the past and bolt guns are simpler to build). If you don't know all the ins and outs, there are a few good classes in the area to help you. I have heard only good things about SotAR who is an IP here (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=200002)

Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    Honestly, if you are doing PRS and are planning on spending 2500, I would build so that I get all of the components that I really wanted in the gun. I mainly shoot bolt guns and tried having a manufacturers rifle but ended up selling it and building my rifle. It was more expensive but in the end, I got exactly what I wanted. I would make sure that you also budget for good glass.

With a gas gun, I would make sure that you know how to build it (I don't know what you have done in the past and bolt guns are simpler to build). If you don't know all the ins and outs, there are a few good classes in the area to help you. I have heard only good things about SotAR who is an IP here (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=200002)

I think you raised an excellent point about knowing the ins and outs. I’ve done lots of AR15 builds and feel very comfortable with that platform, but I haven’t played too much with AR10s in a few years. I think I’m going to start by making sure I know what barrel and bolt I want and building from there. While it will probably get pretty costly pretty quick, I think that picking the components I want and building out my rifle out is the best way to go.

PRS is uncharted territory for me. I’ve done lots of 2 and 3 gun matches, but really wanted the skinny from somebody who competes PRS.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you are gonna shoot PRS, you should be over at SnipersHide asking these questions. Ammo is just as much of the equation.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I agree that Snipershide is probably a good place for a lot of the info. You will need to at least try match grade factory ammo but may end up needing to hand load depending on how it shoots.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm salivating!!! There are also other 6.5 Creedmoor threads on this forum. You could do a search.

I thought PSA AR-10's were not recommended by the members at large around here; see what info the older threads have to say, but that's my recollection last time I went down this path. Maybe they have turned the corner.

vipor5

Jul 9, 2020
    Maryland, Cheltenham
    I have had the opportunity to build 3 mid to high grade 6.5CM Ar-10 style rifles and own the PSA version you are looking at. The PSA version you are looking at has been a reliable firearm and shoots minute of hunting fairly well. A few modifications like crowning the barrel helped accuracy a lot but I would not call this a long range sniper rifle by any means. I would happily chase down a coyote out to 400 yards though with ease. I have had good luck with the AERO heave barrel M5 and I built a great one as a SR-25 using STAG ARMS everything except trigger and barrel. For a little more you could get an RPR Yes its a bolt gun but shoots great for the $ and will be a great platform for starting a long shoot plan.

As noted earlier Larue and JP are not bad options. I also have a M5E1 using a Deadshot Barrel stayed under $1K and it is a .5 MOA rifle and shoots most any factory round well.

You will always find me going for the build as I enjoy the process. Maybe the PSA would be a great starter and just add an upgraded barrel and gas block in the future. (Buyer be wear-PSA receiver sets have proprietary things like a bolt stop that are PSA proprietary) easy to get the parts from PSA but one should know that buying a stripped receiver set for an AR10 is not like buying a stripped AR15 receiver lots of things to read up on to avoid ordering the same part twice. Nothing is standard across the board.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom