• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    A friend has a chance to buy a 303 savage and asked me to teach him to hand load.I researched it some and it seems like brass may be hard to find at times.Factory rounds are hard to find and off the chart expensive.Should I sway him to buy a different rifle in another caliber?

He owns one other rifle in 338 something and he wants a less recoiling cal for deer hunting.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    I wouldn't ever choose an uncommon caliber due to availability issues.

.308 or .243 are both adequate rounds for deer. Throw a compensator on and both are easy enough on the shoulder.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    .303 Savage is a decent deer round, but very obsolete. I don’t think anyone has made a rifle in that round since the Truman administration.

Do they have a Savage Model 99 by chance?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If it was me I'd go ahead and get it. I sort like oddballs.
    A quick search shows Midway has brass .50 a piece and loaded ammo on Ammo seek for about $2.00/round

I was in the same boat when I bought a 30-40 Krag, I've never shot anything through it that I hadn't loaded myself

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Nobody buys a 99 in .303 Savage today because it'll do anything that other cartridges can't.

But if you want a Model 99? In 303 Savage? Cuz history? Cuz you like the rifle? Cuz nostalgia? Just because?

Then hell yeah! Lay in a good supply of brass and a set of dies, and have some fun extending the life of an older rifle and cartridge combo. Kill a few deer with it while you're at it!

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    PRVI and Petersons makes 303 Savage brass and all of the big name online retailers sell it at reasonable prices.
    Check out Midway, Graf's, Powder Valley. Some of what was oddball and difficult to get in past decades is not so hard to find today.
    There's no need to avoid it. Google and you'd never guess it's an odd, obsolete cartridge from the plethora of fans.
    You can use any .308 bullet you can feed from the magazine of a 99.
    The Lyman and Lee books as well as Pet Loads have data with common bullets and powders.
    https://www.handloadermagazine.com/303-savage
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/303_savage.htm
    Hodgdon only has W748 data for some odd reason.
    www.loaddata.com and www.ammoguide.com are pay sites with data from published sources.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Thanks for the info guys.Looks like the brass isnt as hard to find as I thought it would be.Im sure he will be buying the rifle now

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I have a small collection of vintage ammo boxes, some with live ammo. I happen to have a box of Savage .303Sav with the Indian head. It may have a couple fired brass cases but the rest are live. I own an M99 but in .300Sav. If you guys with M99s in .303 would like to have it to go with your rifle, make me an offer. I’m open to most anything. I’m just nostalgic and believe some things just belong together.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have a small collection of vintage ammo boxes, some with live ammo. I happen to have a box of Savage .303Sav with the Indian head. It may have a couple fired brass cases but the rest are live. I own an M99 but in .300Sav. If you guys with M99s in .303 would like to have it to go with your rifle, make me an offer. I’m open to most anything. I’m just nostalgic and believe some things just belong together.

My friend doesnt have the rifle yet.The guy who owns it now,says the last time he tried to shoot it ,the gun misfired.He has the dud cartridge and says it seems it had a good firing pin strike.I want to disassemble that round to see if the powder has spoiled.If that looks good,I will pull another bullet and see if the primer goes off.If its a firing pin problem,my friend might pass on the deal.

If all works out,I will ask my friend what he is willing to pay and I will see if you still have some available.
    Thanks!!!!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

PM sent

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have only loaded for bolt action rifles and never messed with crimping.Since my friend's rifle has a rotary magazine and not a tube,I can forgo crimping these hand loads also......correct?

ps....I want to give 6Den some props.He has helped me out a lot!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom