• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    DNR proposed changes to allow straight wall pistol cartridges in previous SG only counties, for deer. Anyone have additional information on these changes? I saw what was on DNR comments page. I am looking for the wording of the proposed change?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Waiting myself. What are you looking to buy.

I haven’t quite made up my mind. Somedays I think 44 mag lever, others 350 Legend in an AR upper, others a 350 bolt action Savage or Ruger. Decisions......:)

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Does allowing straight wall pistol calibers really open up that many options versus allowing straight wall rifle calibers?

10mm, 41 mag, 44 special, and 44 mag are the only four that i can think of off the top of my head

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Concur with above, if it is PISTOL then it is really limited (there are few non-straight walled pistol cartridges). Yes, .357 sig, Tok, and a few others but not many aren't straight. Then, you get into the power requirement which will make it tighter still.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Does allowing straight wall pistol calibers really open up that many options versus allowing straight wall rifle calibers?

10mm, 41 mag, 44 special, and 44 mag are the only four that i can think of off the top of my head

350 Legend (:innocent0), 450 bushmaster...some others including 45-70

But I am mostly looking at 350 legend or 450 bushmaster upper. Since I have a 9mm suppressor that will hold up to 350 legend, I am mostly looking at that.

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammunition/caliber-choice-straight-walled-cartridge-resurgence

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    If they follow the .35 caliber and up; 1.8 inch maximum case length then straight wall rifle calibers like .45-70, .38-55 are out. There are a whole bunch of calibers that qualify .357 Magnum, .44 Mag etc.

I am not buying anything until I am sure there are no limitation on the type of rifle, that's my concern.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I hunt in Harford county. I use a savage 220 shooting Remington Accutips. Not sure I see any benefits to using a 44 magnum, especially when hunting field edges. A new 350 legend though:innocent0

I hunt in Harford county. I use a savage 220 shooting Remington Accutips. Not sure I see any benefits to using a 44 magnum, especially when hunting field edges. A new 350 legend though:innocent0

I use the 220 in QA county but it would be fun to be able to hunt with my lever action 357 again. Haven't been able to do that for a couple years. Last one was in Cecil. There are other pistol calibers that would be legal, 45 LC 50 AE, 454 Casull and 500 S&W

OH and 10MM...I would be legally allowed to hunt deer with my Glock G20 with a 6 inch barrel and Buffalo Bore Heavies..

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    The wording, as I recall, was straight wall cartridges in rifles and pistols. I sure hope they don’t impose a case length limit. And while they’re at it, they can do away with the barrel length nonsense too!

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I see. The "straight wall" is a change to allow straight wall cartridges in rifles in shotgun- only areas. Pistol regs unaffected.
    I could be wrong, but I believe the proposal included handgun use in SG zones too. They took it down so I can’t verify.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown

Attachments

• BFR_gallery7a.jpg
      BFR_gallery7a.jpg
      61.7 KB · Views: 622

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members