• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    District Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) assailed the measure in a release of her own today. She vowed to fight the measure: "They underestimate our residents if they think this city will tolerate autocratic rule from Congress any more than the Jordan and Ross districts would tolerate dictatorship from Congress on local matters," Norton said.

Who's the autocrat? :confused::crazy:

krucam

Ultimate Member
    I don't think this bill has a prayer of passing, but it IS fun watching Eleanor Holmes Norton squirm!

Her words from last Friday: http://www.norton.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2000&Itemid=88

What this bill is purported to do (think Palmer & Heller II as you read):

1. Permits the carrying of guns in public, openly or concealed.
    2. Repeals D.C.'s ban on large capacity ammunition feeding devices (i.e., magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds).
    3. Repeals D.C.'s ban on assault weapons, including .50 caliber rifles.
    4. Prohibits residential and commercial property owners from banning tenants from having guns on their property.
    5. Bars D.C. from prohibiting guns in District owned or controlled buildings and structures that do not have certain security measures in place, which could include elementary schools and recreation centers, and D.C. cannot prevent private tenants of city owned or controlled buildings and structures from bringing guns into them, regardless of the security measures in place.
    6. Repeals D.C.'s categories of prohibited possessors; for example, a person who was voluntarily committed to a mental institution could buy a gun.
    7. Prevents D.C. from making changes to its gun laws in the future.
    8. Creates the only exception to federal law by permitting D.C. residents to make handgun purchases in person outside their place of residency, in this case, in Maryland and Virginia.
    9. Repeals D.C.'s gun registration requirements.
    10. Repeals D.C.'s limitation on the number of handguns that can be purchased per month.
    11. Repeals D.C.'s 10-day waiting period to buy handguns or rifles. There would only be a 48-hour waiting period for handguns.
    12. Repeals D.C.'s gun training requirements.
    13. May permit sales in D.C. between individuals without federal background checks.
    14. Repeals D.C.'s design safety standards for handguns.
    15. Repeals D.C.'s requirement of microstamping for semiautomatic handguns.
    16. Repeals D.C.'s requirement of ballistics testing for handguns.
    17. Reduces penalties if a child is injured by a negligently stored gun.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I don't think this bill has a prayer of passing, but it IS fun watching Eleanor Holmes Norton squirm!

It has a shot, albeit a long shot.

Pro-2A Congress, Pro-2A Senate (remember they tacked on that bill, to the DC vote bill).

You never know...

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    District Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) assailed the measure in a release of her own today. She vowed to fight the measure: "They underestimate our residents if they think this city will tolerate autocratic rule from Congress any more than the Jordan and Ross districts would tolerate dictatorship from Congress on local matters," Norton said.

It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.
    ~ William Shakespeare > Macbeth > Act V, Sc. v

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Why can't they apply this nationally? Or would it? If this passed, DC would then have better gun laws than Maryland.

Washington DC is a federal territory.

Washington, D.C., is governed by a mayor and a 13-member city council. However, the United States Congress has supreme authority over the city and may overturn local laws.

The 10th amendment gets in the way, for the proposed bill to be applied nationally:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The republicans could have passed this when they had majorities in both houses + the president and didn't. They didn't do it then and they won't force it now. DCs gun ordinances make too good of a punching bag for interested parties on that side of the aisle to just legislate them away.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The chance of that passing brings this to mind....

imagescalv5ig6.jpg

If DC would just abide by the Heller I decision, that would be a vast improvement. As it is now they know the ruling and just refuse to follow it. :sad20:

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    They should have started a little slower, would have a much better chance of passing and vastly improve their current situation.

1. Repeals D.C.'s ban on large capacity ammunition feeding devices (i.e., magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds).
    2. Repeals D.C.'s ban on assault weapons, including .50 caliber rifles.
    3. Prohibits residential and commercial property owners from banning tenants from having guns on their property.
    4. Bars D.C. from prohibiting guns in District owned or controlled buildings and structures that do not have certain security measures in place, which could include elementary schools and recreation centers, and D.C. cannot prevent private tenants of city owned or controlled buildings and structures from bringing guns into them, regardless of the security measures in place.
    5. Repeals D.C.'s categories of prohibited possessors; for example, a person who was voluntarily committed to a mental institution could buy a gun.
    6. Prevents D.C. from making changes to its gun laws in the future.
    7. Creates the only exception to federal law by permitting D.C. residents to make handgun purchases in person outside their place of residency, in this case, in Maryland and Virginia.
    8. Repeals D.C.'s design safety standards for handguns.
    9. Repeals D.C.'s requirement of microstamping for semiautomatic handguns.
    10. Repeals D.C.'s requirement of ballistics testing for handguns.
    11. Reduces penalties if a child is injured by a negligently stored gun.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    They should have started a little slower, would have a much better chance of passing and vastly improve their current situation.

1. Repeals D.C.'s ban on large capacity ammunition feeding devices (i.e., magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds).
    2. Repeals D.C.'s ban on assault weapons, including .50 caliber rifles.
    3. Prohibits residential and commercial property owners from banning tenants from having guns on their property.
    4. Bars D.C. from prohibiting guns in District owned or controlled buildings and structures that do not have certain security measures in place, which could include elementary schools and recreation centers, and D.C. cannot prevent private tenants of city owned or controlled buildings and structures from bringing guns into them, regardless of the security measures in place.
    5. Repeals D.C.'s categories of prohibited possessors; for example, a person who was voluntarily committed to a mental institution could buy a gun.
    6. Prevents D.C. from making changes to its gun laws in the future.
    7. Creates the only exception to federal law by permitting D.C. residents to make handgun purchases in person outside their place of residency, in this case, in Maryland and Virginia.
    8. Repeals D.C.'s design safety standards for handguns.
    9. Repeals D.C.'s requirement of microstamping for semiautomatic handguns.
    10. Repeals D.C.'s requirement of ballistics testing for handguns.
    11. Reduces penalties if a child is injured by a negligently stored gun.

If Heller II wins that takes care of the low cap magazine requirements, assault weapons, and part of the registration.

That list is not quite accurate. It looks like it is from California law. DC does not have design safety standards for handguns or microstamping.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    If Heller II wins that takes care of the low cap magazine requirements, assault weapons, and part of the registration.

That list is not quite accurate. It looks like it is from California law. DC does not have design safety standards for handguns or microstamping.

I was just winging it, I took Mark's list from above and took out what seemed to be the biggest EH Norton heartburn items. (I'm sure they all are!).

I'd love the courts to give us something solid, but damn they're slow!

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I was just winging it, I took Mark's list from above and took out what seemed to be the biggest EH Norton heartburn items. (I'm sure they all are!).

I'd love the courts to give us something solid, but damn they're slow!

Unfortunatly EH Norton is not a play by the Constitutional rules kind of politician. It is her way or no way. It is amusing she called someone else a dictator.;)

The courts are slow, but they are moving in the right direction.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    I hope I'm not the only one who finds this part objectionable:

"Prohibits residential and commercial property owners from banning tenants from having guns on their property."

I'm all for lawful carry, but if an anti-gun property owner doesn't want guns on the property they own, isn't that their right? I don't see a conflict with the 2nd Amendment for a PRIVATE property owner to deny someone the privilege of entering with a firearm. They own the property, they get to make the rules. Am I missing something?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

"Prohibits residential and commercial property owners from banning tenants from having guns on their property."

I'm all for lawful carry, but if an anti-gun property owner doesn't want guns on the property they own, isn't that their right? I don't see a conflict with the 2nd Amendment for a PRIVATE property owner to deny someone the privilege of entering with a firearm. They own the property, they get to make the rules. Am I missing something?

I think the key issue is "tenants". This isn't saying someone can't stop someone from entering their home or business with a firearm. It's saying that if you're going to rent from me and become the tenant then I can't deny your constitutional rights. I'd agree it could be an issue with small "landlords" where someone may be renting out a room in their house or something.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    I think the key issue is "tenants". This isn't saying someone can't stop someone from entering their home or business with a firearm. It's saying that if you're going to rent from me and become the tenant then I can't deny your constitutional rights. I'd agree it could be an issue with small "landlords" where someone may be renting out a room in their house or something.

I can see how it would be very inconvenient if all the strip mall/office building owners decided it was a liability issue and posted them as victim-rich zones. It would make lawful carry more difficult, no doubt about it. My stumbling block here is that the 2nd Amendment applies to Congress, not Regency Centers. I could probably get behind it if the law specifically stated that the owner can only prohibit firearms on property they principally maintain, or something along those lines.

On the other hand, negotiators have to demand more than they really plan to get, unless they want to get screwed. >.>

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007

So, where do you stand on Smoking bans in restaurants and other privately owned property?

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    So, where do you stand on Smoking bans in restaurants and other privately owned property?

It's ridiculous. The dubious public health issue from secondhand smoke makes it sound good, but it's reaching too far. Let the property owner make the rules on his own property, and let the customers make the call on whether they like them or not. If I don't want my (hypothetical) kids around cigarette smoke, I'll take care of it myself and take 'em to a no-smoking family restaurant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom