• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I assume that I can bring my guns to my new home now that the law's been thrown out.

What's the latest?

Can one use a gun in self defense now?

The knife law is so vague that if you don't have a criminal record and don't let anyone else see it you should be okay. Never consent to any kind of search request by an LEO, but be polite and don't resist.

One of you guys braver than me should call the D.C. police and ask them if you can come down and use the range.

Back when the NRA was in D.C., we used to bring our .22LR pistols there to shoot in the downstairs range. I'd carry my Ruger .22 auto in a zippered gun case on the Metro and no one knew I had it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I assume that I can bring my guns to my new home now that the law's been thrown out.

What's the latest?

Can one use a gun in self defense now?

Yes, but only at one's business or at one's home. There are some magazine capacity, bullet power and gun type bans or restrictions though, so be carefull what you bring.
    When you arrive you must tell the DC police you brought your guns and start the registration process immediatly. There is (or was) a limit on the number of firearms one could register a month, but I don't think anyone asked yet about when people move to DC what happens if they have numerous guns and want to register them all at once.
    You will be charged a registration fee for each and every gun. It is not cheap. You will also have to take a cfour hour class and an hour on the range with an instructor before you can own any gun....and this is not cheap.

The knife law is so vague that if you don't have a criminal record and don't let anyone else see it you should be okay. Never consent to any kind of search request by an LEO, but be polite and don't resist.
    The DC knife law is truly vague indeed. One law I found said ANY weapon worn on the person is illegal which could include a roll of coins if someone wanted to read it that way.

One of you guys braver than me should call the D.C. police and ask them if you can come down and use the range.
    Lol, I believe I did that when they made the range time requirement in about January I asked this very question....no go.

Back when the NRA was in D.C., we used to bring our .22LR pistols there to shoot in the downstairs range. I'd carry my Ruger .22 auto in a zippered gun case on the Metro and no one knew I had it.
    As long as you are transporting according to the statute, the DC police does not seem to care if you are using public transportation. However, if you cross state lines on public transport the feds might care about it and if even if you don't the WMATA police may have problems with you doing so (if they caught you).

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Ummm, ya.... Nope. Probably not. You can still get arrested for unregistered ammo etc. DC still is very unfriendly to gun owners, unless you're a criminal in which case you can still carry a gun anywhere you want as long as you don't get caught.

If you can't own it in California, you can't own it in DC, that would include "assault weapons."

I would not assume ANYTHING, start with DC Code § 7-2501.01. Move to Virginia.

Mark

PS - DC Code Online
    http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/dcofficialcode

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I love this stuff!

(a) No person shall possess ammunition in the District of Columbia unless:

(1) He is a licensed dealer pursuant to subchapter IV of this unit;

(2) He is an officer, agent, or employee of the District of Columbia or the United States of America, on duty and acting within the scope of his duties when possessing such ammunition;

(3) He is the holder of the valid registration certificate for a firearm of the same gauge or caliber as the ammunition he possesses; except, that no such person shall possess restricted pistol bullets; or

(4) He holds an ammunition collector's certificate on September 24, 1976.

(b) No person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm. For the purposes of this subsection, the term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Ummm, ya.... Nope. Probably not. You can still get arrested for unregistered ammo etc. DC still is very unfriendly to gun owners, unless you're a criminal in which case you can still carry a gun anywhere you want as long as you don't get caught.

If you can't own it in California, you can't own it in DC, that would include "assault weapons."

I would not assume ANYTHING, start with DC Code § 7-2501.01. Move to Virginia.

Mark

PS - DC Code Online
    http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/dcofficialcode

DC amended their handgun list when threatened with yet another lawsuit. I believe they accept the MD and perhaps Massachusets approved list.

Novus?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    People come FROM DC not into it. Can't believe you can't live just over the border in either direction.

Exactly. I escaped 50 years ago with my family and settled by mistake in Bethesda, but I was too young and didn't know anything about gun laws and my parents were flaming libs anyway. I should move to ol Virginny. Now there's a state that gets the 2A.

:party29:

Stu

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    DC firearms registration is a pain, especially if you need to take the safety course (or don't have a friend who is a firearms instructor who can attest to your firearms safety/competency with equivalent classroom/range hours).

If you decide to register in the District, make sure you follow the guidelines posted on www.dc.gov regarding the process.

The capacity limit for detachable mags is 10 rounds so if you don't have 10 round mags block them so they can only fit 10 or fewer rounds. Or, dismantle your "hicap" mags into an inoperable state for storage.

There is a good chance DC gun laws will change in the upcoming couple years. If you have lots of guns, consider leaving some outside of DC with the hope the laws will change.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I actually am not going to let them know. In fact, I may just leave them with my family in Maryland. They have a safe.

Not to be mean, but your moving to DC in 2009, not 1809.

Bring at least 1 for self defense in the home.

But really, for the price your probably paying to live in DC, you could probably find something in Virginia on the metro.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you get in a snowball fight, be prepared for a DC MPD SWAT TEAM dispatch with APC's and full auto weaponry. They don't play around with snowball fights in DC.

If you get in a snowball fight, be prepared for a DC MPD SWAT TEAM dispatch with APC's and full auto weaponry. They don't play around with snowball fights in DC.

HAHA! There lucky they didnt get shot by a true thug! I agree with him to some point (definitely excessive). I know a lot of people who wouod jump out at ya for throwing a snowball at their car - and give a good ass whoopin. But they wouldnt pull out a gun..

Registering a gun in DC is not that hard...You just need to know where to go and what to bring with you in advance..Ill get the link on monday..

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    HAHA! There lucky they didnt get shot by a true thug! I agree with him to some point (definitely excessive). I know a lot of people who wouod jump out at ya for throwing a snowball at their car - and give a good ass whoopin. But they wouldnt pull out a gun..

Registering a gun in DC is not that hard...You just need to know where to go and what to bring with you in advance..Ill get the link on monday..

Registering a gun is not that easy the first time and is expensive. One journalist went through the process just to see what it is like this year and it was hundreds iof dollars not including the gun. You need to pay for the four hours of training, the background check, the transfer fee the one FFL doing transfers charges, the registration fee, an eye exam if you do not have a drivers license, and I think a few other items.

However, it is still much easier than some places in the US which is a major improvement..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Still, unless you are become DC Police or FD , where residence is either required, or a factor for preference in hiring, DC is a small enough place that you can easily commute in to anywhere in DC, and any of your housing options in Va or even MD will be much nicer, much cheaper, or usually both. And even MD taxes lower too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom