• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I have a barrel that is a little on the heavy side (I don't live in Maryland) and I am looking at having fins cut into it.

Please do not confuse this with a question about fluting. I have read a lot about fluting so feel free to compare the two.

Why do I not see many barrels available with fins. Seems like all I see are Thompson want-to-be type barrels.

I would think it would be easier and ultimately cheaper to do. Just strap a barrel in a lathe and cut, rather than mill flutes.

Wouldn't you get some fairly good cooling?

I guess what I want to know is why have fins seemed to have fallen out of favor?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    It would induce quite a bit of stress points on the barrel which would affect accuracy. Fluting is usually along the axis of the barrel for rigidity, cooling (additional surface area), and weight reduction, whereas finning is usually perpendicular for cooling purposes.

It gets more technical, but if you fin the barrel, it will flex easier due to less stiffness.

I'm sure the gunsmiths and engineers will explain better.

Q

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    It would induce quite a bit of stress points on the barrel which would affect accuracy. Fluting is usually along the axis of the barrel for rigidity, cooling (additional surface area), and weight reduction, whereas finning is usually perpendicular for cooling purposes.

It gets more technical, but if you fin the barrel, it will flex easier due to less stiffness.

I'm sure the gunsmiths and engineers will explain better.

Q

Thanks for your response.

I get that it will flex more than a non-finned heavy barrel.

I would not think it would flex any different than a light or "pencil" barrel. That is the bottom of the cuts in the fins shared the same barrel outside diameter as a light barrel.

I am unable to find a light weight barrel for my rifle. Rather than just mill down a heavy barrel, I was thinking of having fins cut to save weight. I know fluting is very popular but why not cut fins? Would the fins make the barrel flex all that differently?

Fightlight MCR barrel

Attachments

• 16.25_Barrel.jpg
      16.25_Barrel.jpg
      11.8 KB · Views: 149

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude