• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Don't worry they will pass it with the amendment and then retract the amendment later.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    And I wonder what politically leaning direction this new legislator will be. Hmmmm??? C'mon, you can guess!!! :innocent0

The plan all along has been that the DC Rep would be balanced by adding another seat to Utah's delegation.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I thought I read Orren Hatch had problems with which district the additional rep would come from and threatened to block this bill.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I expect to see the law quickly challenged in the courts.

DC is not a state and therefore cannot have congressional representation without a constitutional amendment.

Changing DC's gun laws is Congress's privilege as it is under federal jurisdiction. DC has a mayor and council only because Congress voted to allow them.

Giving Utah an at-large seat is probably constitutional. The size of the Congress is set by law and Utah is the next state due for a seat. It's more a function of how many senators and congressmen you can pack in the house chamber for a state of the union. In the early years of the republic, some states did have all at-large house seats.

Now the question is: who will the courts allow to bring forward a challenge? During the birther issue the challengers were denied standing. Would a state AG have to make the challenge?

Second question: if part of the bill is struck down, what happens to the rest of it?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    D.C. was carved out of Maryland, with the promise that it wouldn't be given the same voting rights as another state.

Technically, if they want their voting rights restored, they should request that the district be retroceded back to Maryland, the way Alexandria was.

Not that that's a very attractive option for Marylanders. I think even most democrats in this state would vomit at the thought.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    D.C. was carved out of Maryland, with the promise that it wouldn't be given the same voting rights as another state.

Technically, if they want their voting rights restored, they should request that the district be retroceded back to Maryland, the way Alexandria was.

Not that that's a very attractive option for Marylanders. I think even most democrats in this state would vomit at the thought.

That would be it for me. Virginny here I come.

:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom