Moving To DC, Storing Firearms In Maryland Storage Facillity?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relax Preppy

Nov 9, 2011
    Does anyone else do this? Im trying to think of any scenarios that could possibly come up... I would just be storing a Glock 19, sub-2000, 30-30 winchester, and a shotgun

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The problem would be with MD law. I do not know MD law.

DC does not care what you own elsewhere. Just do not bring it into the city, ever. You will have a very tough time convincing an officer you do not have an unregistered firearm in your possession. Also do not mention you own an unregistered firearm even if it is in MD. The DC gun Gestapo WILL kick in your door if they have any inclination you might have an unregistered firearm.

Relax Preppy

Nov 9, 2011
    The problem would be with MD law. I do not know MD law.

DC does not care what you own elsewhere. Just do not bring it into the city, ever. You will have a very tough time convincing an officer you do not have an unregistered firearm in your possession. Also do not mention you own an unregistered firearm even if it is in MD. The DC gun Gestapo WILL kick in your door if they have any inclination you might have an unregistered firearm.

i was thinking federal transportation law would work if i was transporting firearms from MD through DC to the NRA range in VA for instance... i should probably consult a lawyer

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    i was thinking federal transportation law would work if i was transporting firearms from MD through DC to the NRA range in VA for instance... i should probably consult a lawyer

Talk to a lawyer, but it is legal to transport through DC. However if your driver’s license and/or residence is DC and you are caught in possession you are going to have a tough time convincing the officer you do not keep it at home. Right or wrong, you might get locked up.

The Kel-Tec cannot be registered in DC, but the Glock, rifle and shotgun are probably ok.

FWIW a guy really did have his DC apartment raided because he was keeping a firearm in MD. Somehow there was confusion between possession and ownership. There is also a $1,000 reward for unregistered firearms. However the instructions are, “Call (888) 919-2746 or (202) 727-9099 if you know someone who has a gun…” If someone finds out, you will get ratted out.
    http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/lib/mpdc/Got_Guns_Posters_LO.pdf

Is there any reason you would pick DC over more gun friendly VA or MD?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I would not even transport them through DC. GO around. It aint worth the hassle if you get stopped. It may be legal per federal laws, but the LEO that stops you will see the firearms and not care. He will let the courts sort it out.
    We have at least one metro DC LEO on here. Hopefully he will chime in.

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    DC is a fun place to live. Foggy bottom, Cap hill. Much wool to chase if you are single..
    I know gun owners there, including a guy who just legally bought a 44 magnum pistol and others with skeet guns, etc registered. A big hassle, but you can do it. Or just keep one firearm registered and the others at your Md estate..

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Does anyone else do this? Im trying to think of any scenarios that could possibly come up... I would just be storing a Glock 19, sub-2000, 30-30 winchester, and a shotgun

Northern Virginia would make more sense.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    DC is a fun place to live. Foggy bottom, Cap hill. Much wool to chase if you are single..
    I know gun owners there, including a guy who just legally bought a 44 magnum pistol and others with skeet guns, etc registered. A big hassle, but you can do it. Or just keep one firearm registered and the others at your Md estate..

Sure, I have registered every gun imaginable in DC within the law. Possibly sometimes I have been over the spirit of the law, but within the legal definition. Registration for me is an expensive and time consuming addiction to push DC law for the next guy. However most people with any common sense do not hold the same sadistic passion. True there are tons of hot chicks in DC and the nightlife is great for a single person, I know this, I live this. OTOH Arlington is 2 minutes away and also has a similar scene without the registration hassle. Plus there is very little crime over there. Silver Spring on the MD side has about the same cost of living and he can keep the Kel-Tec.

I have said it before and I will say it again, to be a DC gun owner you must love the city life more than you love your guns. Also having a pile of disposable income for firearms registration helps.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

I have read in the paper of DC residents doing this, but I think they had relatives or friends outside the city. I also know Gilbert's Gun Range in Rockville, MD, and Silver Eagle Group in Ashburn, VA, offered this storage service.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Something to think about.

I know of a security agent who was working two jobs to support his family. He was going from job 1 in MD to job 2 in MD and got pulled over in DC for illegal window tint. He was going from one authorized place to another. He was driving across the far east corner of DC. The officer saw his security uniform and asked if he was armed. The guy said, 'Yes, my gun is in the trunk, unloaded, locked in a case separate from the ammo.' Wrong answer. He got locked up and went to jail. The DC prosecutor saw the case and sent it to trial. So this guy doing work to scrape by trying to support a wife and kids had to spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer.

He did win his freedom because the case was bogus. However the lesson is DC does not follow Federal law and it does not bother DC to ruin someone's life. Do not be the guy to provoke the anger of DC.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

I know of a security agent who was working two jobs to support his family. He was going from job 1 in MD to job 2 in MD and got pulled over in DC for illegal window tint. He was going from one authorized place to another. He was driving across the far east corner of DC. The officer saw his security uniform and asked if he was armed. The guy said, 'Yes, my gun is in the trunk, unloaded, locked in a case separate from the ammo.' Wrong answer. He got locked up and went to jail. The DC prosecutor saw the case and sent it to trial. So this guy doing work to scrape by trying to support a wife and kids had to spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer.

He did win his freedom because the case was bogus. However the lesson is DC does not follow Federal law and it does not bother DC to ruin someone's life. Do not be the guy to provoke the anger of DC.

Only police and criminals should have guns in DC.

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    Unless I was able to walk to work I would never consider living in DC. Wait I wouldn't even consider it if I could walk to work

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC

I have dual residences in MD and DC. I keep my license active in both jurisdictions.
    You can travel through DC with your firearm regardless if you are a DC resident or not. However, if you are stopped, and you have a firearm with you that you did not register in DC, you better make it absolutely clear that you are on your way to a range or shop and your trip did not start or stop in DC at any time.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC

I'm sorry to hear this.
    Your friend, in turn, should have filed suit against the prosecutor's office and DCPD for violation of his rights, false prosecution, legal and filing fees.

Prosecutors have a duty to know the law - both city and Federal before they file a case involving a matter that brushes against Federal law. Simply having enough perceived merit to make trial is not enough.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    Sure, I have registered every gun imaginable in DC within the law. Possibly sometimes I have been over the spirit of the law, but within the legal definition. Registration for me is an expensive and time consuming addiction to push DC law for the next guy. However most people with any common sense do not hold the same sadistic passion. True there are tons of hot chicks in DC and the nightlife is great for a single person, I know this, I live this. OTOH Arlington is 2 minutes away and also has a similar scene without the registration hassle. Plus there is very little crime over there. Silver Spring on the MD side has about the same cost of living and he can keep the Kel-Tec.

I have said it before and I will say it again, to be a DC gun owner you must love the city life more than you love your guns. Also having a pile of disposable income for firearms registration helps.

I've registered in DC. The process is designed to look intimidating (compared to MD/VA), frustrate and wear someone down.

- First, make sure you are 100% clean. No outstanding delinquent tickets, no suspended license, taxes owed, no nothing.

- Go to DC PD HQ (300 Indiana) and pick up the FRS form (PD-2 something..) They may finally have put it online or can fax it. Not sure. They made you go to physically pick it up before.

- If buying a new or new to you weapon, DO NOT fill it out. You have to find the gun you want, then you and the dealer will fill it out together. (Make sure the weapon you want is not on DC's banned list!)

- Take a firearms course and get the certificate. 4 hours + $250. Cha-ching! Thanks for making me pay to prove things I already know and to learn 5 or 6 piddly one sheeter laws unique to DC.

- Take the DC firearms test. (20 Q's)

- Bring two passport photos taken within the last 30 days.

- Get fingerprinted.

- Pay your fees ($50-60)

- Wait for your registration to come back (about 7-10 days). If approved, you take it to the dealer and have him send it to a DC dealer where you can pick-up your weapon.
    As far as I know the only "dealer" is now in DCPD HQ. He occupies a room, doesn't sell weapons (don't know if he can order them) and has a monopoly on FFL Transfers which is the only legal way to bring a newly bought gun into the district - unless you can find someone in the city who wants to sell you a rifle or shotgun. He works by appointment only and charges a absurd sum to do the FFL, but when you have a legal monopoly you get to charge as you please.

- Done, right? Nope, now bring the gun back for a ballistics sample (Applies to guns you already have too) which is going to take about an hour.

...Now you're done. Happy ownership. Now don't EVER walk out of your house with the gun loaded, and in so much as DC is concerned, keep the gun unloaded in the house as well. :sad20:

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Realize that if you drive I-95 across the Woodrow Wilson bridge between Maryland and Virginia, you physically pass through Washington DC. It is a small corridor but if you break down or get pulled over on the bridge and stop anywhere near the draw bridge tower, you will be in Washington DC. The employees who man the draw bridge tower are actually employed by DC City Government and when accidents occur on the bridge, they have a sight that they look through to determine which police authority should respond.

Attachments

• WW Bridge.jpg
      WW Bridge.jpg
      26.5 KB · Views: 347

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom