• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I have some private property that I’m wanting to have a friendly event in. Call it a competition with nothing to win.

Range includes: 0-100, 200, 300, 510-550 yard targets. Due to terrain, there’s no 400y shot that’s safe.

Can anyone think of a fun “game/competition”? I have a dueling tree.. some gongs and a popper target. Can also put up shotgun clays, balloons filled with baby powder.. etc etc.

Fun m friendly competition... just something different. We have done “battleship” at 25 and 100 yards... on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Probably what we’ll end up doing is moving the dueling tree back to 500-550 yards. Easy to see, easy to “score”.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    look at some prs (precision rifle series) videos. basically a bunch of steel at various distances shot prone and from various props (barricades, fence posts, cattle feed rings, car hoods or roofs, fallen or standing trees, barrels, etc) and whomever hits them all the fastest wins. if you have a lot of steel you can break it down into multiple stages. you can also add some movement into the game and shoot from multiple positions.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I don’t want to do a timer, for safey reasons. But I did think of redoing a game I saw.

In short, you get points for the targets you hit... deductions for the ones you miss an attempt at.

The original was at 100y ranging points and target sizes.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe you can convince some of the 12 O'clock boys from Baltimore to stop by for a trick riding exhibition... (kidding)

Pool cue chalks at 300 yards are always fun. You can glue them to target stands/sticks/whatever and it's obvious when one his hit. 7/8" targets definitely take some skill and maybe a little luck as well.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Depending on location and invite, I have a couple AGC approved steel targets to provide: 8" circle and 12"x 18" rectangle "center mass".

Rgr. This is in Westminster MD. Invitations at this point are still open but low because of farming traffic. PM me if your interested.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Maybe you can convince some of the 12 O'clock boys from Baltimore to stop by for a trick riding exhibition... (kidding)

Pool cue chalks at 300 yards are always fun. You can glue them to target stands/sticks/whatever and it's obvious when one his hit. 7/8" targets definitely take some skill and maybe a little luck as well.

Hmmmm pool chalks.. might look into those! Probably easier than balloons filled with flour.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I like shooting old bowling pins they take a lot of abuse

Other than new ones from amazon... where do you find “old ones”? My concern with pins is getting ground level so they do t fall over before I get back to shoot em hahaha.

Nice though. Someone PMed me to play poker... but that’s a lot of walking to confirm hits and mark them off.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

i'd say more than a little luck. 1/3moa shooting (gun and shooter) ain't the most commonplace!

CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    you could make a rig that makes clay pigeons roll down/across a wooden or metal ramp thing, so kind of like regular clay shooting, but not flying but rolling across something slow enough for people to aim and fire. or get a cheap drone and have some sort of target under it people have to aim for. if the distance is far enough and is a one time event the possibilities are endless since you could probably use just about anything. get a helium canister online (if you can find any, there is a shortage of helium) and tie some balloons at random distances.

Other than new ones from amazon... where do you find “old ones”? My concern with pins is getting ground level so they do t fall over before I get back to shoot em hahaha.

Nice though. Someone PMed me to play poker... but that’s a lot of walking to confirm hits and mark them off.

Hang them from sawhorse type things. A bowling pin hit by a rifle while hanging from a rope/chain will be very obvious.
    I'm very interested in this event. I could foresee a pig being roasted while we shoot. Just sayin...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hang them from sawhorse type things. A bowling pin hit by a rifle while hanging from a rope/chain will be very obvious.

I'm very interested in this event. I could foresee a pig being roasted while we shoot. Just sayin...

Yeah this definitely sounds like a good time
    Add a roasted pig and it’s perfect!

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    This post was before my motorcycle crash that took me out of commission for a bit. I’m back but now crops are in and growing. Have to wait until after deer season or at least after crops are harvested.

I’ll post a follow up on a few months. ./sigh

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Moorvogi -- wishing you a rapid and speedy recovery. You're awesome for providing this to folks here.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Moorvogi -- wishing you a rapid and speedy recovery. You're awesome for providing this to folks here.

thanks. i enjoy shooting as much as i love riding and riding is out for now. I'm recovering slower than i want but faster than the neurologist was prepared for hahah. anway, i know what it's like to be limited to no range or 25y.. or 100.

shooting steel at 200-550 (ish) yards.. is by far one of the more fun things to do in my humble opinion. setting the targets back up when they fall over is.. NOT one the favorite things. i tested a popper target at 350y.. i used metal stakes to secure it and it still did backflips when hit w/ 300win mag.

i'm spending a couple months after harvest (4-5 months) figuring out ranges for the gongs i have and more targets as needed. so far, the dueling tree at 200y is great fun also and a 223 flips it back and forth w/ a fairly tame load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom