• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowtech25

Jun 13, 2009
    carroll county
    Wow i cant belive i have missed it for so long i have been going to the our place at muddy creek for 20 years never saw the place i know exactly were it is now thank you J8064. One of my favs is melanies just inside WV on RT 50 very good food.

Feb 11, 2012
    Eden, MD
    Now that I am a member of this thread, let me say I LOVED IT THERE. I would love to live there. It truly was paradise and hope we get the chance to go again. Loved Annies Kitchen Country best place in the world to eat, it was like eating at grandmas. The hemlock and rhododemdrums were beautiful even in the very early spring. Love a river with rocks, you don't get that on the lower shore. I could get used to the snow and cold just to live in such a beautiful area just wish it was succeeded from the state of Md. Garrett county at least is very conservative area. Like I said hopefully we will get a chance to go again if not this year then hopefully next.

Hooker2

Disgruntled Pygmy
    Jan 10, 2008
    Bel Air
    Great escape from reality (Maryland)
    Deep Creek, Garrett County, and Allegany County help you forget that you are in Maryland.

Went to school at Frostburg and would get out to the Swallow Flalls area as much as possible. Saw bear, turkeys, deer, etc. and almost stepped on a copperhead.

+1 for the Honi Honi Bar but only for people watching and watching people wreck boats.

:)

dr_baer

There's lots to do year round in western MD. The Deep Creek Lake area is a lot of fun. I go out there about every month for a long weekend. We have a place along the Yough in the north end of the county, it's a lot more spread out and relaxed there.

crewdog.gif

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Holy old thread. And that's OK. We've owned our mountain house for 13 years. We threw in the towel and have called Deep Creek (McHenry) our home for well over a year. Here are a few things to consider about the Deep Creek area:
    • It's a great place to visit. Much to do year round. Please drive safely and sanely when you're here. And, please, don't drive like a Touron. We locals know them well.
    • It's a remote and very addictive place. If you buy a second home intending it to be "part time"...eventually it will lure you into "full time" residency. That's OK too. Welcome!
    • Daily life is very different when you live in Deep Creek 24/7. The closest "mall" is Walmart in Oakland (unless you want to drive to Morgantown or Cumberland).
    • Great places to eat? There are some here, but as a full time resident you'll find places like Annie's Kitchen in Accident, Little Sandy's toward Oakland and other places off the beaten path.
    • Local folks who have grown up and been here all their lives are quite different than you'll meet elsewhere - in a good way. It takes time to really get to know them. And it's worth it.
    • If you can't deal with snow removal and cold in the winter, this isn't your new full time place to be. Living here 24/7...it becomes routine.
    • But if you like a quieter and different pace of life among great local folks who have many interesting stories to tell...Deep Creek won't disappoint you.

One minor point: If Deep Creek is your home and you plan on traveling (and I travel a lot) the closest major airport is PIT. It's a short 2 hour drive each way. But worth the time when I finally get home.

:)

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    There are plenty non 350K plus homes in the area. The further away from the Lake the less cost, and IMHO quieter.

Your biggest issue is the job market. ALOT of people work out of area, in nearby cities, like Morgantown WV, or Cumberland MD. Jobs in this area do not pay like the city wages. That one kinda befuddles me.

If you decide to move, a 4x4 is almost a must in the Winter. We get snow - lots of it, and often. This year not so much, but its been a freak Winter. This winter is the first winter since I lived here, that I was unable to icefish the lake due to poor ice.

The area is truely a 4 season resort area. Each season the area takes on a new persona. The people here are VERY gun friendly. Youd be hard off to find a home that does not have some sort of a firearm -mostly hunting rifles.

As far as Archies BBQ, Im surprised at the comments on that place here. I have yet to hear one postive comment about them. The parking lot is almost always empty -that should tell you alot. I personally never ate there, but from what I gather there BBQ is just dressed up Ketchup, and the sides were about half rotted -my bro and his wife, ended up throwing out the ordered side. Think Ill skip that one - and I love good BBQ food.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    There are plenty non 350K plus homes in the area. The further away from the Lake the less cost, and IMHO quieter.

Your biggest issue is the job market. ALOT of people work out of area, in nearby cities, like Morgantown WV, or Cumberland MD. Jobs in this area do not pay like the city wages. That one kinda befuddles me.

If you decide to move, a 4x4 is almost a must in the Winter. We get snow - lots of it, and often. This year not so much, but its been a freak Winter. This winter is the first winter since I lived here, that I was unable to icefish the lake due to poor ice.

The area is truely a 4 season resort area. Each season the area takes on a new persona. The people here are VERY gun friendly. Youd be hard off to find a home that does not have some sort of a firearm -mostly hunting rifles.

As far as Archies BBQ, Im surprised at the comments on that place here. I have yet to hear one postive comment about them. The parking lot is almost always empty -that should tell you alot. I personally never ate there, but from what I gather there BBQ is just dressed up Ketchup, and the sides were about half rotted -my bro and his wife, ended up throwing out the ordered side. Think Ill skip that one - and I love good BBQ food.

4x4....check!
    I actually found a decent house online in friendsville, that was moderately priced. I think my best bet is to save money and in a few years make a big down payment on a house so I would not have to rely on DC style wages.

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    How can a guy in IT move his family to DCL? I would love to move up there but the job scene is moot to non existent for me and due to the tourist draw, decent houses are 350k + :(

This... :sad20:

There was talk years ago (8+) of making a "technology corridor" that extended into W. MD but I don't believe that ever panned out.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Archies BBQ is blah.

I LOVE BBQ and I sucker myself in to going there each time we are up there thinking it might *be better* and it never is.

Annies is great.

Not off the path but we also like Black Bear....only place to watch Ravens games it seems.

There's also a good small brewery type place past Wisp turn of 219 and keep going it'll be on your left.

Feb 11, 2012
    Eden, MD
    I told Gummy I would be happy if we could buy a little piece of land and put a nice size shed on it put a couple of single beds along the wall. Get a little wood stove and a card table. A spot a pot out side maybe over the years have well and sewer dug and use it as a vacation getaway till maybe the day came when we could move there and build a permanent resident or even get a nice mobile or modular home. I know he doesn't want to move away from his dad and brother right now and I agree, but maybe someday the get a way shed would nice. They even have sheds with the little screened in porches. Yep I could see myself being very happy in my little shed in the middle or paradise.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The Yough river is nice too. Ive hunted along that river many times, and always liked the scenery. Have seen many turkeys, and deer, and have seen fishers a few times. The trout fishing is pretty decent too.

The pic below was taken along some ground we leased for hunting back in 2002. It was in Friendsville area. The terrain for hunting was a little steep for my taste, but it was pretty nice.

Attachments

• YRLG.jpg
      YRLG.jpg
      108 KB · Views: 185
    Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    My father used to take the family camping at Deep Creek all the time. I fell in love with the place. Probably my favorite place in the entire state. I need to make it a point to go there more often.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I like your Yough picture! It looks like the Yough during low flow before it enters the lake area. I hunt back in the woods there, it's pretty steep, but great scenery!

crewdog.gif

That pic is technically below the dam - just stones throw from the RT 42 bridge, in Friendsville.

We leased 40 plus acres there one year. I wouldnt do it again. The ******* who owned the ground decided to timber the ground while we had the lease -opening day of early Muzzleloader. I was in my tree stand, right when sunrise comes, I heard the firing of a diesel engine, and they started to timber the property. I was pretty pissed off! They didnt stop either.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    If your looking for a rental place for the weekend I have used Taylor-Made Deep Creek vacations with great results. http://www.deepcreekvacations.com/ They have cabins/houses of all sizes and all around the lake area.

The wife and I stayed for a long weekend in one of their Oakland cabins last month. It was a great getaway. The cabin was a little larger than we needed, very clean and well stocked with firewood.

We will be back up toward the end of April. If any of the locals would like to get together for dinner, hit me up by PM. I always enjoy meeting members of the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom