• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Ahoy,

I am tinkering with the idea of getting a Limited set up for when I come back from my hiatus.

I am leaning towards the CZ Tac Sport (since a CZ is what i shoot in Prod) but am not opposed to the idea of getting into a 2011.

pros and cons of the CZ TS vs 2011 from experienced and knowledgeable competitors please and thank you!

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I, along with 90+% of the other Limited Major shooters in the US, shoot 40 S&W out of a double-stack 1911.

Yes I am very much aware of this. but that stat doesn't help me in choosing. I am asking WHY choose the 2011 over the tac sport?
    2011 shooters make your arguments and convert me!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The TRIGGER. And magazine support. The Tac Sport's trigger is nice, but you can't get the trigger as good as a tuned 1911.

I'm going to add, the 40 S&W has always been kind of blah to me. Until I shot the cartridge in a double-stack 1911. Then it made sense. The heavier slide makes recoil control a lot easier when shooting Major. Dropping the recoil spring to 14 lbs makes the sights come right back on target after the shot.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There is no simple solution for a man of your credentials. Shoot what you can get your hands on, review them, and let the rest of us know what the best way to go is. Pretty much impossible for anyone else to tell you what will fit your hand, and what features you might prefer over others, but your experiences would be valuable to the rest of us. Most everyone I know that got into limited started out in a lower division, and bought into a Limited rig from the start, or moved up with something like a modified G34, and upgraded to something better. I haven't found really anyone that has tried, and compared completely different systems. To make matters worse, no shops really stock a variety of competition pistols around here, so to try them out, you basically have to beg your squad mates at the end of the match to trade a few rounds through each other's rig, and it's rare to see someone running the CZ TS compared to 2011's, so might take a while before you could find one to try out.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I've never owned the CZ, I know people that shoot them and I don't think it would really hold you back any as long as it fits you. I'm also not sure about the long term durability either.

2011's will be, or at least can be more expensive. But they can be customized to fit you. Grips, triggers, safety, weight, etc. Do you want more weight in the grip? Or out front? I assume you can get sub 2 lbs triggers with either, but again I don't own a CZ so I can't really say for sure.

The hard part is knowing what you want so you don't waste money. I would ask people you see at the range if you can play around with their gun at the safe table. I'm sure most will happily let you. Get a idea of what feels right.

I like a heavy gun, with a short reach to the trigger, a fairly thin safety, and a pretty aggressive grip. I also like my trigger to be around 2.0 lbs. Knowing that I can set a 2011 up the way I like it pretty easily. I may try a PT Evo grip next, but that is a pricey upgrade. I'm sure I'd like it I just know if it's a $650 dollar like it or not.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah, ask at your next match to shoot a few of each, i'm not aware of anyone who has declined that request. just have a box or two of factory ammo to shoot thru them (or even Atlanta which is mildly Major pf).

irrespective of fit, feel, comfort, felt recoil, balance and the like, also look at aftermarket support (smiths, holsters, triggers, springs, mags, etc) for each platform.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    also, if you haven't already, visit brianenos.com, whose members are almost exclusively competition shooters. surely this has been discussed there.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    so here is my list of pros and cons:

CZ Tac Sport .40
    pros: price, platform familiarity(shooting/gun handling etc), more comfortable self modifying, perceived reliability (never been to match where 1911s run..),
    cons: so difficult to get a hold of, not as much aftermarket support as 1911s

pros: readily available (relatively), lots of aftermarket support, best trigger possible
    cons: price, not as comfortable doing self mods, reliability often difficult to achieve, much hate for the grip safety,

I have fondled both a large frame CZ and 2011 and I don't really have a preference ergonomically. I think both would work well for me. I have shot a 2011 in .40 but not a CZ TS but I figure it'll be as nice or nicer than my shadow 2 in single action just a little snappier.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    mags are buy once and really cry once.

my brazos hp edge has been 100% with major PF ammo and springs (and like 99.9% with minor ammo and springs). dawson supertuned (no longer available, was similar to brazos hp) is around 99.9%. and the four sti's that no smith touched are like 99+% reliable with most matches having zero issues. i run factory ammo thru them and use atlanta barely major PF with my Edge in Limited.

you can get the grip safety pinned although i have never looked into that.

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    I've dry fired a TS Orange. It definitely has a feel in the hands very akin to a Shadow 2. The go to for Limited is 2011, though, as has been stated. I run 2011s in Limited and really like them. The TS is a great gun, though, too. It is a bit lower to get into cost-wise and the mags are cheaper. If you order this from CZ Custom, spend the extra $300-$400 and have them polish it and tune the trigger. The out-of-the-box Orange was still a bit rough. I'm a snob, though.

For a good limited 2011, you're really a little north of $3k plus mags at $130 a piece (MBXs). You could go Atlas or CK Arms or there are many others. Lots of semi-custom options here.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Magazines for the TacSport aren't cheap, and neither are extensions. They don't use the same size magazines as the rest of the short round pistols. At least with the 1911, magazines can be had for a decent price, and extensions are available from more than one source. I'd let you shoot my Limited pistol if we ever meet up.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a stock TS and a S2 w/ CGW full trigger/sear kit. The TS trigger is in a different league even right out of the box. Some friends have the TS oranges, one was sent to CGW to get their work done. I have not had them side by side w my older TS to compare triggers.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I have a stock TS and a S2 w/ CGW full trigger/sear kit. The TS trigger is in a different league even right out of the box. Some friends have the TS oranges, one was sent to CGW to get their work done. I have not had them side by side w my older TS to compare triggers.

could you be convinced to sell your TS? if it's in .40 that is..

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    so here is my list of pros and cons:

CZ Tac Sport .40
    pros: price, platform familiarity(shooting/gun handling etc), more comfortable self modifying, perceived reliability (never been to match where 1911s run..),
    cons: so difficult to get a hold of, not as much aftermarket support as 1911s

pros: readily available (relatively), lots of aftermarket support, best trigger possible
    cons: price, not as comfortable doing self mods, reliability often difficult to achieve, much hate for the grip safety,

I have fondled both a large frame CZ and 2011 and I don't really have a preference ergonomically. I think both would work well for me. I have shot a 2011 in .40 but not a CZ TS but I figure it'll be as nice or nicer than my shadow 2 in single action just a little snappier.

I don't know that 2011 reliability is as bad as people make it out to be. All of mine have run great. The key is good mags. If it ever starts acting funny make sure the grip screws are tight.(mine have never come loose)

Also, first thing I do is disable the grip safety. It's easy to do, there are a few ways you can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom