• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    My old Colt has just two butt-stock positions for fully open or fully collapsed. My new Colt 6951 9mm rifle has 4 positions. With the stocks off, they appear otherwise identical.

I want to put on an aftermarket butt stock and have 4 or more positions available on a new buffer tube. I cant seem to find a Colt 6951 buffer tube by name online for sale or any acceptable substitute to put on the older Colt. Are these buffer tubes a standard size? I'm not looking to change the spring or buffer, just the receiver extension...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My old Colt has just two butt-stock positions for fully open or fully collapsed. My new Colt 6951 9mm rifle has 4 positions. With the stocks off, they appear otherwise identical.

I want to put on an aftermarket butt stock and have 4 or more positions available on a new buffer tube. I cant seem to find a Colt 6951 buffer tube by name online for sale or any acceptable substitute to put on the older Colt. Are these buffer tubes a standard size? I'm not looking to change the spring or buffer, just the receiver extension...

Just make sure you choose between commercial tube and mil-spec tubes. They do differ in O.D. and the stocks are no necessarily compatible.

Attachments

• btubes.jpg
      btubes.jpg
      69.4 KB · Views: 194

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    A standard mil-spec buffer tube will work.

Could you let me know if you sell the 2 position buffer tube.

Thanks

Last edited:

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Thanks guys, the diagram is a big help and i have a digital caliper to measure the diameter.

And sorry, i will save the tube and stock for a cheap 9mm build someday.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks guys, the diagram is a big help and i have a digital caliper to measure the diameter.

And sorry, i will save the tube and stock for a cheap 9mm build someday.

The tube on your Colt is the exact same size as any other (probably) milspec tube, no need to save it for anything except collector value. Which the Colt tube actually has.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Based on the flat rear and tube diameter it is a mil spec. Good to know the exact differences...
    e6a446a6f5dae39803253bf9ff278208.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    If you are in the GB area anytime after this weekend, I'll swap it for you.

That would be helpful. I would like to see how to clean up a staked castle nut so you can take it off, then stake the new one. I ordered the Colt tube, nut and retainer plate, plus a stock, which should arrive Monday. I'll give you a shout to find a good day to drive down.

Thanks!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You realize that 2 position stock assembly is in high demand/ value to the people building Retro Rifles .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom