• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As stated , new one are currently still on the low side of the price swings, and most sellers are mentally referencing what they paid when the market was higher.

I feel you about prefering fixed carry handles , but alas in response to market demand, virtually everything has gone flat top , and A2's are considered Retro and Rare. The best you can easily do for popular prices , is make sure to get one with old school front sight assy , and use a detachable carry handle .

IF you truely want an A2 upper as a firm parameter, disregard the advice to buy new, and search for a vintage Colt .( Bushmaster continued to offer fixed carry handles longer into the modern era mfg's , but Maryland sucks.)

If you go to the Nations Gun show in Chantilly there is a guy that sells Colt uppers of all types.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    search for a vintage Colt

Ditto.
    A vintage Colt'll not only remain a classic, but it'll likely increase in value over time. Although there're good reasons to opt for or against a carry handle upper, I'd also consider an A3 as they offer the best of both worlds—a removable carry handle. Even better if you're able to track down (and're willing to pay a premium for) one of the "Restricted" lowers from the "assault weapon" ban days, which'll add a bit more panache.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Yeah, if it was in stock, it isn't anymore.

I am surprised it came back, I wated over a year and went somewhere else.

I found my A2 upper at a gun show. Price will similar to the Del ton assembled price and I didn't have to pay shipping!
    Stag is another option that configures for MD. HBAR and 10rd magazine. Look for sales in near future on Stage as well.

callidus

May 21, 2013
    Maryland
    I figure I'd better buy an Ar-15 before they get banned.

Do you enjoy legos? Have you considered building one?

It's probably cheaper and you're more likely to get what you want. I know several guys that have bought Windham, Smith & Wesson M&P15s, etc. (all great guns) that cost double market price. Not because they overpaid, but they get the gun....then they want a free-float handguard....then they want a custom NiB or other BCG....then they want a different grip....then they want a different type of stock....then....then...

It's sometimes cheaper to build it the way you want it the first time. For a first rifle I'd buy the bolt carrier group and a completed upper from the same manufacturer to avoid headspace issues and tools you won't want to worry about right now. Beyond that, buy a charging handle you like, and lowers are about as hard to put together as a basic lego set.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    I figure I'd better buy an Ar-15 before they get banned.

Do you enjoy legos? Have you considered building one?

It's probably cheaper and you're more likely to get what you want. I know several guys that have bought Windham, Smith & Wesson M&P15s, etc. (all great guns) that cost double market price. Not because they overpaid, but they get the gun....then they want a free-float handguard....then they want a custom NiB or other BCG....then they want a different grip....then they want a different type of stock....then....then...

It's sometimes cheaper to build it the way you want it the first time. For a first rifle I'd buy the bolt carrier group and a completed upper from the same manufacturer to avoid headspace issues and tools you won't want to worry about right now. Beyond that, buy a charging handle you like, and lowers are about as hard to put together as a basic lego set.

I cannot disagree with callidus' input.

jaybee, you'll get a ton of different opinions on the forum. My input is: "It depends on what you want."

I own and shoot a variety of AR's. Each one is different and most are from "Lego lowers" I've built.

My favorite and most accurate is my CMMG lower with a Bushmaster Predator upper. I built the lower in 2011 and bought the upper for about $500. The complete rig was < $1000. It has a cheap ass CP Walmart scope that works just fine out to 100 yards.

It's a much better shooting rifle than I am a marksman and it never disappoints me. What else could I want?

---

Attachments

• DSC05566 10_2011.jpg
      DSC05566 10_2011.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 137
    • CMMG Target 11_20_2011.jpg
      CMMG Target 11_20_2011.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 137

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    A2 Styles are still available from suppliers who sell Highpower service rifles and uppers :
    http://www.compasslake.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23&zenid=c667cd7c349faa34925a8ac56ce7ee39
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAR-15-Complete-Uppers.aspx
    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index...onid=AF5DB669923C41B83038C0A40965C0A7.cfusion
    https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sh...le-upper-post-ban-1-7-62-front-post-1204.html

Watch the older Colt rifles had bigger front holes on the receiver that needed two screw drivers to break down. Not the more common Mil-spec pins in use now.

Good luck

Jerry

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    I also recommend the Windham. I got a good deal on mine new (and already upgraded a bit) and love it. I originally wanted the Ruger SR556 but it was still on the "banned list" when I was shopping. A couple of months after I bought my Windham, the SR556 came off the list. Ugh. I'm very happy with the Windham and I saved enough to buy a HK416D for a little .22-style *plinking*.

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    I cannot disagree with callidus' input.

jaybee, you'll get a ton of different opinions on the forum. My input is: "It depends on what you want."

I own and shoot a variety of AR's. Each one is different and most are from "Lego lowers" I've built.

My favorite and most accurate is my CMMG lower with a Bushmaster Predator upper. I built the lower in 2011 and bought the upper for about $500. The complete rig was < $1000. It has a cheap ass CP Walmart scope that works just fine out to 100 yards.

It's a much better shooting rifle than I am a marksman and it never disappoints me. What else could I want?

---

Nice Rig!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have been tempted to buy a Ruger SR556 just for the barrel profile. Don’t know what is wrong with it that it would need mandatory upgrades. Free float and trigger maybe to make it more to personal liking.

I am not sure I see the economy in buying by the piece and assembling to save money. Every time I price it out it is more expensive, staying within a given production price tier. Going with PSA, not exactly top tier, a $259 upper, a local lower reciever, LPK and a stock kits comes in around $500 at best. For a few $$ more you get a factory rifle with a guarantee and known lineage. As far as improving a base rifle, that is part of the shooting and seeing what one wants to change. That could be the case on a $2000 unit as well.

Just me $.02

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    I have been tempted to buy a Ruger SR556 just for the barrel profile. Don’t know what is wrong with it that it would need mandatory upgrades. Free float and trigger maybe to make it more to personal liking.

I am not sure I see the economy in buying by the piece and assembling to save money. Every time I price it out it is more expensive, staying within a given production price tier. Going with PSA, not exactly top tier, a $259 upper, a local lower reciever, LPK and a stock kits comes in around $500 at best. For a few $$ more you get a factory rifle with a guarantee and known lineage. As far as improving a base rifle, that is part of the shooting and seeing what one wants to change. That could be the case on a $2000 unit as well.

Just me $.02

my thoughts too - just to build one - the class is $400 plus the tooling etc and there is no savings just to say I did it and it's too easy to screw it up

ruger does not have chrome barrel bore IME

stag has chrome barrel and lifetime warranty including paid return shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom