• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    While I commend the OP's honesty, I gotta question the decision to share it and expect any kind of sympathy, especially here.

I've been handling firearms for almost 40 years and have somehow managed to avoid a negligent discharge just by treating every gun like it was loaded. I also will not accept any gun from another individual unless it's clearly unloaded - breach/cylinder open, muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Good to know that no one was injured but, damn...too close for comfort.

H&J Legacy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    If you can't be responsible around a vehicle and get into an accident that's your fault you absolutely have no right to own one.

Not sure where this stemmed from but I concur. Whenever you are granted a license for something that could potentially endanger people's lives and kill them, there is that responsibility to always be in check and safe to use/operate or act within the scope of what you are licensed for. It could be about many things. Licensed to use an automobile. Be safe by following speed limits and road rules. A little courtesy always goes a long way. Licensed to own a firearm. Be safe by following guidelines/rules on firearm handling, discharge and storage. A lot of common sense should castrate oneself of stupidity. Licensed to practice medicine. Be safe by acting within the scope of your practice and continuing professional education. ;)

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Not sure where this stemmed from but I concur. Whenever you are granted a license for something that could potentially endanger people's lives and kill them, there is that responsibility to always be in check and safe to use/operate or act within the scope of what you are licensed for. It could be about many things. Licensed to use an automobile. Be safe by following speed limits and road rules. A little courtesy always goes a long way. Licensed to own a firearm. Be safe by following guidelines/rules on firearm handling, discharge and storage. A lot of common sense should castrate oneself of stupidity. Licensed to practice medicine. Be safe by acting within the scope of your practice and continuing professional education. ;)

You need a Constitution 101 Class.

You do know that owning a firearm is a right and not a privilege, correct?

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    It's sort of been stated already, but it takes a LOT of courage to man up and admit something like this, especially in a place like this. How many of you, after having done something similar, would post about it here?

There are no "Accidental Discharges". They are all NEGLIGENT. Pulling the trigger on a gun you know is loaded - I don't understand. I've done something similar, when I was a stupid kid and didn't know any better. I get the sense that this is one of those situations where knowing the rules and appreciating the rules are two different things. Hopefully the OP and all reading about this will develop a deeper appreciation for the rules.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Missed this post somehow. Thanks for telling the story, I'm sure it wasn't easy to admit a mistake like that. In my opinion these "look at my dumb mistake" post are ALWAYS welcome. When the story ends with "nobody was hurt" that is about the best you can hope for.

Be safe.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Glad you and yours are okay.

I have had my ND for my lifetime. Was getting ready to go to the range and was not in a proper state of mind. Was taking pistols out of the safe, drop the mag, cycle the slide, drop the hammer, put it in the bag. Got distracted and racked, the slide, dropped the mag, dropped the hammer, shot hole in mattress with freshly loaded .45ACP, tried to answer phone but it wouldn't stop ringing (now I know why suppressors are a must for HD)

Guarantee that will never happen again.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Off topic posts removed - return to your regularly scheduled Monday morning quarter backing.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    While we're on the subject, in the house, where is a "safe direction"?
    Typically I believe it to be at the corner floor of a room. This would be where most wood meets in the structure. Unless you have a sand clearing barrel, you have us all beat.
    And would that be a viable option? A 5 gallon bucket of sand? I think so.

This post raised a good point, so of course it's in danger of disappearing among the static and chatter.

"... corner floor of a room. This would be where most wood meets in the structure..."

As a rule of thumb, this isn't bad, but there are so many possible variations in building structures and angles of impact, it's not a sure thing that you'll hit anything massive. You might manage to angle the bullet through 6 or 8 inches of lumber, or (perhaps more likely) you might just clip a single 2x4 stud or plate. But it's not a bad rule of thumb to keep in mind.

If possible, it's better to know what you're pointing the gun at, rather than hoping for something solid. Keeping a bucket of sand handy for unloading purposes is much better than pointing at the baseboard and hoping for the best. A big potted plant, like a small tree might suit the decor better. Or not.

How about a 5 gallon jug of water for a water cooler? Or an aquarium? Those could add a spectacular element to your negligent discharge. Back when I was stuck cleaning my wife's 50 gallon aquarium, I could have been seriously tempted to accidentally have an ND into that thing.

More seriously, and practically, a shelf full of books, end on, gives you a very good, reliable bullet trap. You can be confident that you're aiming at something solid, because you can see exactly what's there.

I like to dry fire in my basement. Not only can I be undistracted there, but I know that there's a concrete block foundation behind the drywall, and a lot of dirt beyond that.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    It would probably be a lot less of a mess if you used a HD or drywall mud bucket with a lid on it. Just aim down at the lid and If you had a ND, it would keep the sand from going all over the place.
    Damp sand would probably work better than dry.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It would probably be a lot of a mess if you used a HD or drywall mud bucket with a lid on it. Just aim down at the lid and If you had a ND, it would keep the sand from going all over the place.
    Damp sand would probably work better than dry.
    Our clearing barrels at work have dry sand.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I have a 5 gal bucket of play sand I keep at my workbench. If I'm upstairs i usually aim out the window at the lawn.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom