• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrewQ1

Mar 9, 2016
    I am still learning about MD laws and tried a search about this.
    Springfield came out with a new pistol or SBR...well they are calling it a pistol but its also chambered in 223/5.56 So is it really a SBR? I dont know so that is why I am asking you guys.
    Or does it have to do with barrel length?

It is over priced in my opinion but here are the specs:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/first-look-springfield-saint-pistol-full-review/

SPECS

Type: Direct-impingment semiautomatic pistol
    Cartridge: 5.56x45mm NATO
    Capacity: 10; 20; 30 rds.
    Weight: 5 lbs., 8 oz.
    Overall Length: 26.5 in.
    Barrel Length: 7.5 in.; 1:7-in. twist
    Trigger: SA; Nickel-Boron coated
    Handguard: M-LOK
    Forearm Brace: SB Tactical
    MSRP: $989
    Manufacturer: Springfield Armory

If its a SBR then would it be banned in MD or if its a called a pistol it would be legal?

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    AR pistols are legal in MD if they're on the "roster"....get your HQL. SBRs are also legal in Maryland as long as they are 29" or longer in over-all length.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

DrewQ1

Mar 9, 2016
    AR pistols are legal in MD if they're on the "roster"....get your HQL. SBRs are also legal in Maryland as long as they are 29" or longer in over-all length.

ok so if its called a pistol then its legal as long its not a SBR and less than 29''?

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Caliber doesn't determine whether it's a pistol or rifle. That is a pistol. The barrel is under 16", and it doesn't have a stock. It is MD legal assuming it's on the roster, which I doubt. If you want something like that, your best bet is to build it. You can get a stripped lower for under $100, the remaining lower parts for close to $200, and a pistol upper for $300-$500. PSA has some pretty good deals right now.
    I'd also seriously consider a minimum of 10.5" barrel. Anything shorter in 5.56/.223 is less than optimal. If you use if for home defense, carry a fire extinguisher with you. Perhaps USA Today has plans to attach it to the handguard.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    ok so if its called a pistol then its legal as long its not a SBR and less than 29''?
    That is a pistol......period. it can't be a pistol and an SBR at the same time. How is this confusing to you?

The gun you posted would be legal in MD if it gets submitted and approved for the roster.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That is a pistol......period. it can't be a pistol and an SBR at the same time. How is this confusing to you?

The gun you posted would be legal in MD if it gets submitted and approved for the roster.

But an SBR can be a pistol. :)

And also a rifle.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    That is a pistol....Build a pistol and make it better, it’s overpriced and not on that dumbass roster that will take 3-5 months to be approved. After the sh*t Springfield pulled earlier this year I would spend my money elsewhere even if it was priced properly $500-600ish

Tha AR parts market is very price friendly right now, you can build one heck of a pistol for that MSRP or the street price

Easy way to explain it...
    A pistol does NOT have a buttstock and is not designed to be shouldered.
    A SBR is a rifle (with buttstock) whose barrel length is less than 16". In Maryland, they must also be at least 29" overall length when fully extended.
    If someone were to take the pistol in this thread and exchange the brace for a buttstock (without applying for and receiving an NFA tax stamp), it would become an illegal SBR.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To the best of my knowledge there are no AR pistols on the handgun rooster. Which means working with MSP if you want to a buy a particular model or build one yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom