• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGCLVP

Jan 27, 2009
    We here at AGC are aware of the September 24, 2013, Maryland State Police press release notifying the public that MSP would not enforce the HQL provisions against purchasers who had their paperwork in before October 1, 2013, irrespective of when they actually take possession of their handgun. We strongly discourage anybody from relying on that press release when purchasing and receiving a handgun. The press release is contradicted by an opinion from the Attorney General’s office that an HQL would be required for taking possession of a handgun on or after October 1, 2013 no matter when their paperwork was filed. Furthermore, even if the Maryland State Police do not enforce the law, it is still a law, on the books, with criminal penalties attached to its violation. Receiving a firearm without an HQL after October 1, 2013 is a violation of SB 281, and nothing would stop some other law enforcement agency from bringing charges under its provisions. Conviction for violation of the HQL provisions could result in both criminal penalties and loss of gun rights.

This is not legal advice. You are advised to consult with your attorney.

AG Opinion Letter

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    We here at AGC are aware of the September 24, 2013, Maryland State Police press release notifying the public that MSP would not enforce the HQL provisions against purchasers who had their paperwork in before October 1, 2013, irrespective of when they actually take possession of their handgun. We strongly discourage anybody from relying on that press release when purchasing and receiving a handgun. The press release is contradicted by an opinion from the Attorney General’s office that an HQL would be required for taking possession of a handgun on or after October 1, 2013 no matter when their paperwork was filed. Furthermore, even if the Maryland State Police do not enforce the law, it is still a law, on the books, with criminal penalties attached to its violation. Receiving a firearm without an HQL after October 1, 2013 is a violation of SB 281, and nothing would stop some other law enforcement agency from bringing charges under its provisions. Conviction for violation of the HQL provisions could result in both criminal penalties and loss of gun rights.

This is not legal advice. You are advised to consult with your attorney.

AG Opinion Letter

Agreed. Sounds like a trap to me

frothytoast

Sep 23, 2013
    What the hell, just when I think I'm in the clear...awesome. Hopefully this is a little more black and white in the next week..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I kind of agree with this.

There is NOTHING keeping PG, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Mont. etc from coming back and charging you within a year and a day of your purchase.

MSP is not the be-all-end-all here.

If it was an AG's letter that's a bit more reliable.

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    I called that press release fishy! Which is why I told my friend to forget the handgun and I'll introduceher to a nice rifle to protect her and her daughters.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Sounds like there are "some" problems in the ranks. They can't seem to get their lies.... I mean stories straight.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Copied over from the other thread for situational awareness...

I'll take bets the anti-gunowner crowd will sue MSP over this turn of events.

Back in the 90's, CA DOJ was sued over extending the "assault weapons" registration window, and the antigunowners won. The CA extension was due to a backlog. Anyone who registered their firearms during the extension had them confiscated after the court ruling.

I am still puzzling out how such a court victory against MSP would play out. Maybe a court order to refuse post-10/1 77R forms that do not include the HQL info?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Found an article on this: http://www.commondreams.org/pressreleases/July98/072298d.htm

And more: http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1999/C...t-Weapons/id-ce8dd7f3c36cf40249aeeac19d927ad2

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Agreed. Sounds like a trap to me

There is NOTHING keeping PG, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Mont. etc from coming back and charging you within a year and a day of your purchase.

Sounds like some entrapment!!!!!

Bring it! I made a purchase today and I will not be getting a HQL. The "purchase" was made before 10/1. The whole concept of needing the HQL for picking up after was fishy to begin with and no one was really sure until just recently. Then they back peddled. There are tons of old laws on the books that are no longer enforced. There is a ton of precedent for not enforcing a law.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

If they held a special session and amended the law, it would be golden. Anything less and it could mean trouble in the future.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Sounds like some entrapment!!!!!

When California was in the same backlog predicament, the police did and said the same thing outside of the law passed by their legislature ... after the Brady Bunch lawsuit, they were required by the court to go back and CONFISCATE all guns approved & released in the overlap period.

You would think MSP knows this happened

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Bring it! I made a purchase today and I will not be getting a HQL. The "purchase" was made before 10/1. The whole concept of needing the HQL for picking up after was fishy to begin with and no one was really sure until just recently. Then they back peddled. There are tons of old laws on the books that are no longer enforced. There is a ton of precedent for not enforcing a law.

Just in case, what kind of cake would you like us to bake a file into?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I called that press release fishy! Which is why I told my friend to forget the handgun and I'll introduceher to a nice rifle to protect her and her daughters.

Did you notice that no one signed the letter that was faxed to the FFL's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom