• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    One thing with gun laws in Maryland you must consider from 10 years ago to today is demographics. Don't pat yourself too hard considering those numbers were much more favorable in Maryland years ago. It is only going to get worse.

Yeah....it was so much easier back then with Josh Sugarman Neil Quintet and the Ceasefire crowd. But you knew that being the expert that you are.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    LR will never be resurrected. He has been slain like 8 times by the ban hammer. Just say'in.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I hope you don't think I'm the only person that perceives you are not a MSI fan. Or please just clarify, is it the President, not the organization.

My previous public comments on the matter should be sufficient explanation. I've never been told that I have a problem with clarity in my writing, but for the sake of responding directly to your question, in this specific case it was the direct result of the "shut up" comment as well as the regression back to "trust us on the secret plan - oh, and send us money". That is the Jim Purtilo school of activism and too many of us spent too many years breaking that stranglehold to see it go back to that.

If I had a problem with the organization, I doubt that I would be a plank holder, have spent 8 years as a board member and subsequently the president and invested quite a few other things in terms of time and resources that I will leave to rest lest this discussion become about me.

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    My opinions carry no weight with anyone (and am often reminded), not unlike many others who post here. However when I see the President of MSI and owner of this board at odds, that does peak an interest, and not only to me, let me assure you.

The thin skin and frailty of many pro 2A professionals here when confronted with dissent or "debbie downers" is really not too reassuring. If you are coming from a strong position, any chatter perceived negative should just roll off without comment. What is remarkable is that near any hair brain idea that gets shot at, there are others that support it without any attempt to logically defend it, but just start "what are you doing? , huh huh..".

You and I pretty much see eye to eye. Like you, I'm sure my opinions don't much matter. Most here do not want to hear from those like me that were once involved, still interested but too tired to fight. The battle in Maryland has been going on longer than the average life expectancy when the Constitution was drafted.

I liken the Maryland 2a battles to OC beach replenishment. You can make the beach look pretty for a period of time, even gain some ground. However, you are only one storm away from any gains being totally undone.

MSI at one time was a factor. In my opinion it has somehow become derailed.

There are just too many factions going in different directions. In and of itself not necessarily a bad thing. There just needs to be some sort of umbrella organization to unite them and provide a fear factor to the MGA.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You and I pretty much see eye to eye. Like you, I'm sure my opinions don't much matter. Most here do not want to hear from those like me that were once involved, still interested but too tired to fight. The battle in Maryland has been going on longer than the average life expectancy when the Constitution was drafted.

I liken the Maryland 2a battles to OC beach replenishment. You can make the beach look pretty for a period of time, even gain some ground. However, you are only one storm away from any gains being totally undone.

MSI at one time was a factor. In my opinion it has somehow become derailed.

There are just too many factions going in different directions. In and of itself not necessarily a bad thing. There just needs to be some sort of umbrella organization to unite them and provide a fear factor to the MGA.

The organizations are not really going in many different directions. They coordinate pretty well. The problem lies in the make-up of the GA. We can't threaten to influence elections, and their constituents either don't care about 2A, or agree with further restrictions. Unless a politician finds their seat in jeopardy, they don't care what you have to say. There are some areas where we can make a difference. We (collective) did change a lot in the FSA 2013. There were a lot of folks under the illusion that our efforts would stop this thing in it's tracks. That is not seeing the big picture.

Your "opinion" is only that things aren't working. If you have any opinions on how to actually improve things, that would be super.....

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    The organizations are not really going in many different directions. They coordinate pretty well.

I am sure I am not alone in wondering why that message isn't making it to the average Joe Sideliner.

Instead of a push to get people to attend a pep rally at Lawyers Mall, why isn't the push to get people to attend and testify at public hearings for what few pro 2a bills are in place?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I am sure I am not alone in wondering why that message isn't making it to the average Joe Sideliner.

Instead of a push to get people to attend a pep rally at Lawyers Mall, why isn't the push to get people to attend and testify at public hearings for what few pro 2a bills are in place?

That isn't being done? You are aware that we don't know when they will be hearing the bills until just a couple of weeks before the hearings. Those dates go out.

2A Tuesday is more than a Rally. The rally is the insignificant part. The important part is getting the rally attendees to go get some face time with their delegates.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

Teratos is correct. We don't know when the bills will be scheduled for a hearing. If the leadership was friendly to 2A, they might help us out, but the leadership has actually changed hearing dates in order to dilute our voice. One year they had bill hearings scheduled in both houses, they moved one of the houses to a different day to force people to come twice.

So of course you will see a push to get people to testify for bills once we have dates.

Many groups do a day of advocacy in addition to bill hearing days. Last time I was in Annapolis I saw teachers walking around. It was teaching lobbying day. Some members here have to schedule time off months in advance with very little flexibility. They don't have the ability to take off on a whim. Setting a fixed date like 2A Tuesday allows them to participate in the process.

Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    My good friends have it spot-on...

The goal is a continual voice (if not presence) in the halls of the GA, and it's been effective for a long time.

Once hearing dates are announced (I'd imagine that will be soon), the call will be made to prepare your testimony and present it to the Committee(s) however possible.

Of course presenting it in person is best, because we want them to see new faces, in addition to the ones they already know.

I would encourage folks to take a look back through the various years' "prep" threads (some are still 'stickied'), and see what we've done in the past.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

we dont have the hearing dates yet.
    once we have them, getting people to attend will be the next push.

2ATuesday isnt a pep rally. about about showing our faces, and teaching others how to interact with their legislators.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My previous public comments on the matter should be sufficient explanation. I've never been told that I have a problem with clarity in my writing, but for the sake of responding directly to your question, in this specific case it was the direct result of the "shut up" comment as well as the regression back to "trust us on the secret plan - oh, and send us money". That is the Jim Purtilo school of activism and too many of us spent too many years breaking that stranglehold to see it go back to that.

If I had a problem with the organization, I doubt that I would be a plank holder, have spent 8 years as a board member and subsequently the president and invested quite a few other things in terms of time and resources that I will leave to rest lest this discussion become about me.

Thank you for the clarification, I have wondered on occasion though based on some of the back and forth.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    May have been said already, but, now that 2A Tuesday is behind us... it is time to open another window with your word processor in it and while in between flipping through the many threads on MDS... jot down notes and start forming letters to your Reps. based on what you see being proposed by the Legislature... I send emails to my Reps. letting them know what bills I am watching and how I would like them to vote in the event something makes it out of committee. I have already testified on SB80 and while in Annapolis on Tuesday, spoke with 3 of my Reps. about this piece of legislation.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    May have been said already, but, now that 2A Tuesday is behind us... it is time to open another window with your word processor in it and while in between flipping through the many threads on MDS... jot down notes and start forming letters to your Reps. based on what you see being proposed by the Legislature... I send emails to my Reps. letting them know what bills I am watching and how I would like them to vote in the event something makes it out of committee. I have already testified on SB80 and while in Annapolis on Tuesday, spoke with 3 of my Reps. about this piece of legislation.

Link to all of the bills and our current position on them. We are working to keep it updated with dates of various hearings and votes as they come up.

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/forum/public-forum/396-2016-bills-of-interest

We will post bill hearing dates as we get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom