• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, I bought a Nikon scope, and scope mount for my AR10. Should the rings always be lapped, or is it ok to just drop the Nikon scope in the Nikon rings? One person told me you only need to lap the rings if they are cheap rings. Thanks

Attachments

• 20190309_203225.jpg
      20190309_203225.jpg
      105.9 KB · Views: 354
    • 20190309_203250.jpg
      20190309_203250.jpg
      66.5 KB · Views: 338
    • 20190309_203310.jpg
      20190309_203310.jpg
      85 KB · Views: 330
    • 20190308_173404.jpg
      20190308_173404.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 331

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    These days there really is no need to lap scope rings. I have never lapped any set of rings or mounts I have purchased in the past 20 years and I have had no issues with any of them. Just make sure to torque the screws to the specified amount and you will be good to go.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i've never lapped scope rings because i've never seen a need to do that. i guess some might need that though. but the nice thing about actual mounts, is the rings are (or at least, should be) totally and permanently aligned such that lapping is not an issue.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Every once in a while I will lap scope rings after checking them with alignment rods. You would be surprised sometimes what you find. Ring caps off, saddles out of alignment and tapped holes off just enough to create a little stress. If you have access to the tools and a little time it doesn't hurt to smooth them out some. What I try to keep in mind is limiting the amount of vibration that is transmitted to the ring clamping surface and the optic.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    If your scope is expensive, lap the rings and properly torque the screws. You will put Ring marks on your scope if you don’t

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You have a one piece mount. Lapping should not be required as it would take a spectacularly crappy cnc to machine them wrong in one operation (though anything is possible.) Individual rings are likely to need it.

The mount you show in your last picture is a POS though. I've had one, ranted about it before, and others here have had problems too. Since both sides that 'clamp' to the rail are movable it doesn't reliability mount straight. If you can wiggle it and get it to mount straight and not need a ton of windage adjustment from your scope don't take it off. It won't hane as much recoil resistance or being knocked sideways either. Just a lousy design.

Sirex