How long do you keep your defensive handgun ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I have one box of hollow-point ammo. It must be 15 years old. I keep rotating the rounds in my handgun magazines just in case.

Do you go to the range firing them and buy a new box or keep them? There isn't any expiration date on ammo that I can think of.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Properly stored ammo is good for a long time, longer than your lifetime .

Ammo that is carried / keep ready to use has a life span . Traditional LE protocols call for 6-12 month replacement. Actual usable lifespan is probably long , but variable , and this is ammo for which 100% reliability is needed.

Short answer - You need a fresh box of defensive ammo .

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Keep it stored properly and it will last indefinitely. What changes over time is technology...the effectiveness of new designs may improve...or not. Marketing will keep you wanting to buy the newest and latest. Shoot up your oldest stuff and replace it with the newest. We have to keep the manufacturers in business.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I’ve got spare mags with some ammo that’s probably 25-30 years old.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    On the other hand , back in the day when private sales were a thing , I purchased a gun from a friend that had been his regular BUG . It came with the carry ammo , that have been in use for a cpl years .

Out of curiosity , I fired it over the chrono . It didn't all fire, and has wide vel spread on those that did .

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I would say the life depends on whether the gun it is loaded in is one you carry or one that sits in a bedside safe for home defense use. For the former, the one year rotation makes sense because it is subject to changes in heat, humidity, and depending on how you carry, sweat and other moisture. The latter is sitting in a climate controlled environment that is no different than the rest of your stored ammo, so I would treat it as such. YMMV.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If you aren't constantly chambering and unloading a round I'd trust it for years.

The ammo that gets chambered and unloaded I keep for a year. I'm sure it is good for much longer but for 25 bucks I get peice of mind. I rotate the carried ammo to the "stash" pile.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    If you aren't constantly chambering and unloading a round I'd trust it for years.

The ammo that gets chambered and unloaded I keep for a year. I'm sure it is good for much longer but for 25 bucks I get peice of mind. I rotate the carried ammo to the "stash" pile.

I mark the back of each round that has been chambered. After each gets two marks, it goes into the practice pile. The forces the round is subjected to can cause setback and/or break apart the inner portions of the primer w/o you ever knowing about it. Definitely not worth it.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Just like medications; keep in cool, dry area and they will be good indefinitely

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I shoot a M1 rifle. Lots of people were fortunate enough to buy surplus ammo from the 50's and 60's. They are still shooting that ammo today. Be careful about constantly chambering the same round, or else it should last for a very long time. I keep my handguns loaded at all times, I don't constantly unload and reload.

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    Each time I go to the range I fire the mag in my carry gun and replace with the backup mag. New rounds are loaded into the backup mag. So I cycle through my defensive ammo on a regular basis.

Last edited:

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    I shoot my commercial defensive ammo every 4 to 6 months. Although it will last a lot longer I like to make sure my magazines, firearm and ammunition function properly and I am accurate and comfortable shooting with my defensive weapon. I shoot my defensive weapon monthly but normally use practice ammo I have reloaded.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Note to OP - As seen in this thread, different opinions on best practices , but in any possible interpretation, it isn't 15yrs .

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ive shot ammo over 100 years old without a problem. That said I like to rotate out my defensive ammo every couple years, just use it for testing to ensure function with HP etc then replace. If they start restricting the kinds of ammo civy's can have my attitude may change.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Thank you all for good advice. This particular handgun is just for home defense purpose and the ammo has never been outside exposing to heat and humidity. However, I think it is a good idea to replace it anyway with newer ammo. I'll move them to the practice pile.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Ammo in a carry piece should be refreshed every month or so. Use that for practice ammo. The banging, and such that a carry piece gets will degrade the ammo. If you carry rimfire, change ammo daily.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    More solutions for something there never was a problem.
    A "fresh" round is not a substitute for a better malfunction drill. Unless you're storing your carry pistol or spare ammo in a sauna, you'll be fine.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    More than likely modern sealed ammo will last decades, but can get beat up with repeated chambering, or if oil gets into it. I like to shoot my carry rig and a spare mag as it sits on my belt every few times I go to the range. It has never failed, still practice malf drills, and while I use cheap FMJ for the bulk of practice with it, I usually go through a couple boxes of carry ammo a year, so fresh ammo every couple months. More to do with my practice ideology than any perceived fault with the ammo.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I mark the back of each round that has been chambered. After each gets two marks, it goes into the practice pile. The forces the round is subjected to can cause setback and/or break apart the inner portions of the primer w/o you ever knowing about it. Definitely not worth it.

I hand drop my round into the chamber and push the slide forward with my hand to pick up the rim with the extractor.

I doubt this would cause setback.

Still I rotate mine here and there on the mags I'm actually carrying with.

Never had a problem...even with rain soaked Gold Dots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom