• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    So I’m moving again this summer and am thinking of storing two pelican cases rifles in the roofbox for the duration of the trip.

But I’m not sure about if that would be too hot.

One of the boxes has custom cut and glued closed cell foam, the other just the normal foam that comes with pelican cases.

I’ll be driving along I-10 so lots of both dry and wet heat.

The box is silver, so it should reflect some of the heat.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Roofboxes draw attention as people think camping gear, skis etc. Risky. Roofboxes are meant for temporary transport, not overnight storage.

As for other factors, probably ok as along as its only a couple days or week. I wouldn't do it for months.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Aunt Edna in the roof box. Guns inside the vehicle(think climate controlled).

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Roof boxes can be popped in a second. Put them in the car and cover them with other crap. I would NOT put them in the roof box.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Gotta agree with everybody else... it would be better to transport the firearms inside the car, and put other stuff in the roof box. Also, be sure that there is nothing visible that would indicate the presence of a firearm, which in some areas might be probable cause for a vehicle search or worse, a break-in.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I could hang with the temperature issue for the duration of the journey. But not the security issues .

While actually on the road , detail someone to " hold the horses " while the others use the restroom , and switchoff . But you'd get more pushback having watch shifts at the motel .

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Saw a vehicle with a roof top box pull into a parking space under a canopy that was too low. Took the whole box including the roof rack off of the car. Also have seen roof top boxes crushed and flattened on the side of the road where they came off the vehicle.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Put them inside the car. Putting guns on the roof of your car is a stupid idea...

No actual space in the car due to the layout and the other things that are being moved. It’s either the box, or with movers, and I’m not 100% on trusting the movers. And the box could be empty, could be full, but everything is visible in the car (I empty the passenger compartment every overnight stop).

Roofboxes draw attention as people think camping gear, skis etc. Risky. Roofboxes are meant for temporary transport, not overnight storage.

As for other factors, probably ok as along as its only a couple days or week. I wouldn't do it for months.

Just 3-10 days (not sure where I’m moving to just yet).

Aunt Edna in the roof box. Guns inside the vehicle(think climate controlled).

I get that inside the car would be best, but it’s not an option.

Roof boxes can be popped in a second. Put them in the car and cover them with other crap. I would NOT put them in the roof box.

True, but I do tend to stay at nicer hotels when on the road, and have yet to have an incident.

Gotta agree with everybody else... it would be better to transport the firearms inside the car, and put other stuff in the roof box. Also, be sure that there is nothing visible that would indicate the presence of a firearm, which in some areas might be probable cause for a vehicle search or worse, a break-in.

In the vehicle with a blanket over them , Don't need a smash and grab when your in getting a coke and taking a wiz . Be the Gray man when you travel .

The box was the attempt at being gray. Inside the car will be all our luggage (that doesn’t fit in the box, and takes up all the carcargo space).

I could hang with the temperature issue for the duration of the journey. But not the security issues .

While actually on the road , detail someone to " hold the horses " while the others use the restroom , and switchoff . But you'd get more pushback having watch shifts at the motel.

No motels, Hilton Garden Inn at worst. And the cars always get emptied at night when moving. Rest stops we have to risk it, but typically travel in the day time only, and stop at busy places. I’d be wary of getting the cases out of the carrier as they might arouse suspension at that moment.

Saw a vehicle with a roof top box pull into a parking space under a canopy that was too low. Took the whole box including the roof rack off of the car. Also have seen roof top boxes crushed and flattened on the side of the road where they came off the vehicle.

This guy isn’t coming off, it’s a high end box and is on there solid. But I will be excluded from parking garages with it on (all planned hotels are parking lot style though).

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    No actual space in the car due to the layout and the other things that are being moved. It’s either the box, or with movers, and I’m not 100% on trusting the movers. And the box could be empty, could be full, but everything is visible in the car (I empty the passenger compartment every overnight stop).

Just 3-10 days (not sure where I’m moving to just yet).

I get that inside the car would be best, but it’s not an option.

True, but I do tend to stay at nicer hotels when on the road, and have yet to have an incident.

The box was the attempt at being gray. Inside the car will be all our luggage (that doesn’t fit in the box, and takes up all the carcargo space).

No motels, Hilton Garden Inn at worst. And the cars always get emptied at night when moving. Rest stops we have to risk it, but typically travel in the day time only, and stop at busy places. I’d be wary of getting the cases out of the carrier as they might arouse suspension at that moment.

This guy isn’t coming off, it’s a high end box and is on there solid. But I will be excluded from parking garages with it on (all planned hotels are parking lot style though).

Sounds like you have your mind made up for the rooftop box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom