• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hondo

Apr 23, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    I don't know that institute, but I know the area well. I still have a lot of connections out there. I'll put some feelers out and let you know if I come up with anything.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Has anyone Dealt with this institute?

Curios about starting a second career...

https://sdi.edu/

Any Comments would be appreciated.

I would only consider Colorado School of Trades in Lakewood, Colorado or Montgomery Community College in Troy, NC if it was me.

I've taken many short term classes in the Summer at MCC and was accepted into Colorado School of Trades before life threw me a curve ball and kept me in Maryland.

I would probably give the nod to Colorado School of Trades based on the way their curriculum runs, with the final phase working on customer guns.

Plus, a few years ago they started a CNC training program but I believe it is pretty competitive to get into. I think you have to place pretty high in the class to be accepted.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    SDI grad here. So first I think the best way is hands on at a education facility. If that is not an option then SDI is a good alternative. Years ago I went through Penn Foster courses. In my humble opinion SDI is far superior. They include some tools and parts to work on. Penn Foster was read, watch video and take test. Not bad mouthing Penn as it was what I wanted to know more about at the time. As for SDI, if your course includes an advanced Armorer Course they will send you everthing you need to make actual weapon including 80% receiver and jig to complete it. I did the 1911 advanced course and still own and regularly shoot the hand gun I made. There are a lot of written assignments and I supplied pictures of my work in process. They also offer some hands on apprentice options for some students.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    SDI grad here. So first I think the best way is hands on at a education facility. If that is not an option then SDI is a good alternative. Years ago I went through Penn Foster courses. In my humble opinion SDI is far superior. They include some tools and parts to work on. Penn Foster was read, watch video and take test. Not bad mouthing Penn as it was what I wanted to know more about at the time. As for SDI, if your course includes an advanced Armorer Course they will send you everthing you need to make actual weapon including 80% receiver and jig to complete it. I did the 1911 advanced course and still own and regularly shoot the hand gun I made. There are a lot of written assignments and I supplied pictures of my work in process. They also offer some hands on apprentice options for some students.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks, Great information, I've worked with a few Weapon systems, so taking my skill to be possible profitable seems logical...

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I did Penn Foster to burn some benefits a few years ago. Would not suggest them.

SDI has a reloading course and you get a press and some useful things from them at a reasonable price. May be worth doing that as a test bed to see how good their stuff is and if you learn well that way. Have the press in the end if nothing else.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    former co-worker did it, he paid to do a 1911 and an AR. Soon as I graduate this academy I will be going to SDI (GI Bill) but I talked to a rep,and my previous college will transfer for the general courses lol

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    I am currently enrolled in SDI's Associate of Firearms Technology degree program. Last year I took two courses and am now taking two courses: Accuracy and Functionality, and Basic Ballistics and Bullet Making.

The information is very good and they pull from many different sources for the required reading and video watching.
    I am very happy to have found this college and even more so that the Navy is paying for it.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    I am currently enrolled in SDI's Associate of Firearms Technology degree program. Last year I took two courses and am now taking two courses: Accuracy and Functionality, and Basic Ballistics and Bullet Making.

The information is very good and they pull from many different sources for the required reading and video watching.
    I am very happy to have found this college and even more so that the Navy is paying for it.

E king who is your instructor? I have BBS 100 this time through.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    former co-worker did it, he paid to do a 1911 and an AR. Soon as I graduate this academy I will be going to SDI (GI Bill) but I talked to a rep,and my previous college will transfer for the general courses lol

I have the 1911 as my capstone.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    BBS 100 is Marcia Backos and the class is seems rather large with over 20 students. The teacher is on top of it though, no delay in grading papers.

I must be in the slow class. I am the only one posting in the discussion threads. I think we started with 4 in the class and now it looks like we are down to just me.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Like Eking, I'm currently in the associates program. I'm enjoying the classes and the knowledge I'm gaining. They seem to be changing things as I go through the classes. When I enrolled there were 4 labs that needed to be completed on my class schedule. Basic hand tools, stock fitting and metal lab, rotary tool lab and the cleaning firearms lab (I'm doing this one now). Then a few weeks back I received a traditions muzzleloader kit to build for a lab that wasn't on my schedule. it seems like they are adding or enhancing the lessons to make them more hands on.

If you can't attend a true hands on school this is a good alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom