• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheelbrain

Aug 15, 2011
    Rockville, Maryland
    I'm bringing a couple "shooting newbie" friends to the range the Nov. 5 - 6 weekend or next, accompanied with two or three experienced shooters, including myself.

I'm looking for decent inexpensive budget-friendly ranges near the Baltimore area and would welcome any suggestions. We would prefer ranges permitting handguns, small-bore rifles, and an M1 carbine. Permitting shotguns and/or firearm rentals, albeit not required, would be a plus.

I've reviewed Hap Baker in Westminister and Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro, although Hap Baker seems insanely busy (hunters zeroing in) and MSAR does not permit .30 Carbine (too high velocity).

Suggestions, anyone? I'm avoiding Select-Fire like the plague and am considering Cresap in Frederick, but haven't yet had a chance to shoot there.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Freestate for a close indoor range or Delmarva Sporting Clays for outdoors . Delmarva is a hike but $20 per person to shoot all day . As long as its legal to own you can shoot it there .

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    AGC is $150 for the range badge and from about $20 - $45 to join a club. The range is only closed two days a year and you can shoot all day long. It's a great place to shoot.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Myrtle Grove in La Plata is a far hike from Baltimore. This week I saw some Baltimore cops there. It's all outdoor and they don't rent anything. But it's $5 to shoot all day, or $20 for a yearly pass (July to July). It goes out to 100 yds but they have signs for 7, 25, 50, and 75 yards. There's also a place to shoot skeet if you're into that. Weekends are probably busy like everywhere else. The hours are kind of weird on Sunday 1pm to 5pm. Monday mornings they do maintenance so it doesn't open till 1 and closes at 6. The rest of the time it's open from 9AM to 6PM. It's operated by the DNR. There's an honor box at the range gate or you can go to the cabin and pay. You can get the year pass anywhere you get a hunting license. You can shoot everything there except maybe the .50 BMG. Not sure about that one.

Yotatech

Aug 31, 2011
    Bowleys Quarters
    Made a trip to hap baker last Sunday waited for hour and half for a lane. Nice place but has been very busy. Freestate is always a good idea but not gonna help you with any large rifles. Freestate is the place I chose to shoot pistols, 22's and my 9mm ar. With a couple people going with you; you probably have the best chance at free state getting a couple lanes all in a row. And nobody bugging y'all to death or over your shoulder the whole time

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    You could always brave it and go to Elk Neck really really early. $10 all day 100 yard rifle and a pistol range as well. You can shoot clays there as well with your own thrower.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Freestate allows .223 and 7.62 so they "may" allow the carbine. Ask ahead.

I'd be surprised if they didn't allow .30 carbine. I know the On-Target can handle it, and they do not allow .223 or any .30 rifle. It would be best to check ahead.

woodrow76

May 27, 2011
    Cecil-tucky
    Yeah, I second the earlier post, you could go to Elk Neck, they have pistol, rifle and shotgun ranges. I was there a few days ago, the rifle range was busy but pistol was empty. Ten dollars gets you in and there is no time limit, not a bad range, although you need to bring your own target stand(s) too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom