• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I wasn't aware of it until today, ( but I'm sure some of you were) That AAC makes a 3 lug adapter for the Ti-rant 9, and 45, as well as the 45M so you can use it on a MP5. I have 1 on the way :-)

Did you find the AAC mount available somewhere or did you get the J B Tactical. The rarity of the AAC mount and price of the J B is one of the reasons I went with a Multimount.

$300 for the J B Tactical.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/AAC-Tirant-3-Lug-Adapter-JB-Tactical-p16726.htm

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    AAC show them in stock. But ended up ordering 1 through the Silencer Shop for $189.00 they so far seem to have a excellent selection of the AAC adapters and have been very helpful. I saw the other unit on HK parts. It looked very nice!! But wow they are very proud of it so I'd understand why you bought the multi mount.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Looking at Omega .30 or Osprey .45. Investigating how they "might" meet my criteria outlined above. Comments welcome on these two potentials.

SKroh

May 20, 2014
    West "By God" Virginia
    The Osprey isn't user serviceable, and the Omega can't suppress .45 like you were looking to do.

I'd recommend the Octane 45. It will handle 9, .40, .45, and .300 BLK subsonic. If you want to run 300 BLK supers, you'll need a rifle-caliber can. In that case, I've had good results with the Omega and SpecWar series.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    The Osprey isn't user serviceable, and the Omega can't suppress .45 like you were looking to do.

I'd recommend the Octane 45. It will handle 9, .40, .45, and .300 BLK subsonic. If you want to run 300 BLK supers, you'll need a rifle-caliber can. In that case, I've had good results with the Omega and SpecWar series.

For the moment, most of what I have threaded is rifles. Few pistols threaded.
    But I would like to move to threaded ones eventually. As for the 9, .40, .45, and .300 BLK subsonic, I'm trying to look for that one can that will do it all for me, that is, shoot both pistol and rifle, be easily swapped from one to another, and be very cleanable. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner (2.5 liter). I know that this is asking a lot, but I don't want a large no. of cans. Already have Spectre 22. and YHM Phantom .223.
    Thanks!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    For the moment, most of what I have threaded is rifles. Few pistols threaded.
    But I would like to move to threaded ones eventually. As for the 9, .40, .45, and .300 BLK subsonic, I'm trying to look for that one can that will do it all for me, that is, shoot both pistol and rifle, be easily swapped from one to another, and be very cleanable. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner (2.5 liter). I know that this is asking a lot, but I don't want a large no. of cans. Already have Spectre 22. and YHM Phantom .223.
    Thanks!

The Silencerco Hybrid is the only one that meets your criteria. It can handle 45-70 to 9mm. I think it is a bit big and heavy for a 9mm pistol. But you always give up something to gain convenience.

https://silencerco.com/silencers/hybrid/

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Looks like the Surefire Ryder 9 3 lug mount is almost here!!

12936593_1298676910153087_14973259169632445_n.jpg

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am thinking about an AR 15 9mm build (pistol/SBR). I want to suppress it. What do you like, what should I stay away from?

IPs, anything in stock? It would be great if I could skip the Form 3 wait time.

Thanks all.

I have a Gemtech Multimount and really like it. It is good if you want something for Pistol and Rifle. Gemtech makes a 9mm upper for the Multimount and it attaches to the upper natively. Then you can buy mounts and boosters to run it on pistols and other rifles. Look at some of the sound tests on the Silencer Forum as well. Data there is really good.

For my AR though, I have an LRM-169 upper which is an integral suppressed 9mm upper.

Dave

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Some of the 5.56 and other caliber suppressors (thinking of YHM) are contained units, so you can't get at the baffles to clean them. The recommended procedure is to submerge the suppressor in a gun cleaning solvent (such as Kroil or mineral spirits) for approx. an hour. Drain and blowout.Apply a thin layer of oil to suppressor to inhibit rust, then remove suppressor when not in use (QD) to aid in evaporation process.If suppressor is to remain on the rifle, then store muzzle down position. The above procedure is rarely needed according to the care directions.
    QUESTION: Do any of you have a setup like above? Is it easy to clean these internal units? Do you like them as well as the ones that can be disassembled? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some of the 5.56 and other caliber suppressors (thinking of YHM) are contained units, so you can't get at the baffles to clean them. The recommended procedure is to submerge the suppressor in a gun cleaning solvent (such as Kroil or mineral spirits) for approx. an hour. Drain and blowout.Apply a thin layer of oil to suppressor to inhibit rust, then remove suppressor when not in use (QD) to aid in evaporation process.If suppressor is to remain on the rifle, then store muzzle down position. The above procedure is rarely needed according to the care directions.
    QUESTION: Do any of you have a setup like above? Is it easy to clean these internal units? Do you like them as well as the ones that can be disassembled? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Most rifle cans are sealed/contained units due to the high pressures they experience. I haven't serviced any of my cans as of yet so I will try that method when the time comes. I don't quite understand the muzzle down approach. It seems like it would trap moisture/condensation in the can, barrel, and chamber.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I'm looking at a ultra sonic cleaner to try cleaning mine with.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

Thanks!

I've read a lot of places that the manufacturers of rifle cans say that you often don't need to clean them, because (supersonic, at least) rifle cartridges tend to generate enough pressure and blast that any significant carbon is burned away anyhow.

I have seen several places that warn if you're not using FMJ or other jacketed rounds that you may eventually get lead buildup that will have to be dealt with, but my overall understanding (I don't have my rifle can yet, so take this for what it's worth) is that you don't really need to clean them as long as you regularly fire some normal rounds through them (i.e. if you fire thousands of rounds of subsonic .300BLK you may eventually get some carbon buildup).

Most rifle cans are sealed/contained units due to the high pressures they experience. I haven't serviced any of my cans as of yet so I will try that method when the time comes. I don't quite understand the muzzle down approach. It seems like it would trap moisture/condensation in the can, barrel, and chamber.

I think maybe the idea being that any excess solvent will run out of the front of the can?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Besides keeping a suppressor clean (the contained ones where you can't get the baffles out to clean them), I also wonder about the value of used suppressors. Do they maintain value like firearms? Say that I fire 25000-30000 rounds or more thru a suppressor, is it considered worn out, thus not worth much on the resale market? If it's hardly worth anything, then I'd rather buy/invest in a firearm, even if not suppressed.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Besides keeping a suppressor clean (the contained ones where you can't get the baffles out to clean them), I also wonder about the value of used suppressors. Do they maintain value like firearms? Say that I fire 25000-30000 rounds or more thru a suppressor, is it considered worn out, thus not worth much on the resale market? If it's hardly worth anything, then I'd rather buy/invest in a firearm, even if not suppressed.

I have heard of people sending them out to be rebaffled before.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

You already sunk $200 on it, and the next guy has to sink $200 or more out of state. Resale is gone the second you buy it.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    You already sunk $200 on it, and the next guy has to sink $200 or more out of state. Resale is gone the second you buy it.

This answers the question. Forgot about stamp fee and was only thinking about resale value - just like selling a firearm. The value only comes from the original purchasers pleasure while using it.

As far as having baffles replaced /repaired, I'd bet that this costs about 1/2 of the original purchase price. So, if purchase price was $600, then repair would be $300 or so. Just conjecture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom