• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seriously though, Im interested in Hunting (for them tasty birds) and just in case purposes of having it useful for Home Defense.

Mossberg 500 Field/Security combo in wood or synthetic.

Mossberg-500-security-combo.jpg

dapefley

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Hughesville MD
    I have also heard... so don't take this as scripture... that the 870 uses hammer forged receiver, while the mossberg 500 uses a cast receiver... IDK for sure though. I'm also sure that there are other little details... *whispers* go with the 870.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I have also heard... so don't take this as scripture... that the 870 uses hammer forged receiver, while the mossberg 500 uses a cast receiver... IDK for sure though. I'm also sure that there are other little details... *whispers* go with the 870.

Remington 870s have a steel receiver and will rust. Mossbergs have an aluminum receiver and won't last as long. So you're in the dump either way.

Anything else we can throw in the bin to dissuade the OP from one brand over the other?

:sad20:

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I would recommend a a semi-auto in 12 gauge, 26" barrels with choke tubes. I like a semi's ease of operation, quicker follow up shot and lower felt recoil. To me they look, feel and swing better than a pump. A Remington 1100 or 1187, or a Beretta 390 or 391 are excellent values. Less expensive but more spartan, the Mossberg semi's have a good reputation as well, though I have no experience with them.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are both good pump guns if you're partial to those. Have had both for 25 years or more with thousands of rounds through each. I especially like the receiver mounted safety on the Mossberg, and especially when hunting with gloves and cold hands. You'll notice that some manufacturers locate the safety at the front of the trigger guard, while others locate them at the rear. No big deal unless you're switching guns frequently. i wish all manufacturers used the same location. Personal preference to be sure, but a receiver mounted safety just makes the most sense to me.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I got a newer 870 and its good but if I were to do it again I would go to a gun shop and pick up an older 870. I just feel there were made better back on the 80's. heck I think the newer one use pine nowadays

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom