• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    how can you tell if a 7.62 54r is corrosive? I saw 3 types on aim - russian, hungarian and bulgarian - 2 of 3 mention berdan primers.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It's safest to just assume it's corrosive if it's surplus...
    I agree.

If the powder is not corrosive, then the primer probably is. If both are listed as non corrosive, then always assume it is to some degree at least.

I have fired some ammo that is not very corrosive before, but still was to some degree at least.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Any East Bloc Military Surplus Ammo is corrosive! The only 7.62x54R that isn't is the New Market Military Spec Loads........Prvi Partisan, Wolf, FNM & if you can still find it Winchester Redbox.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    big difference in price - any tips on where the best non-corrosive? since the m44 is in the mail and the next step is of course to fire it

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    big difference in price - any tips on where the best non-corrosive? since the m44 is in the mail and the next step is of course to fire it

Best tip......buy the corrosive ammo and after firing it and before you go home, spray some windex down the barell to help neutralise the acids in the corrosive fouling. $.09 of Windex is a shitload cheaper than higher cost of supposedly non corrosive ammo.
    When you get home, or the next day, clean the barrel, the chamber and the boltface. Not that big of a deal and problems addressed.

Corrosive ammo for the M44 is only a problem if you leave your rifle uncleaned for a while......I speak from experience. :o

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Yeah, just keep it clean and enjoy the cheap surplus ammo! I just spent a while cleaning out the bore of my M91/30. I thought it was much cleaner upon first glance... I was wrong!

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I run a boresnake of sweets down mine a couple times and wipe the boltface with a soaked patch before I even leave the range, it doesn't take much time and makes it so if I'm lazy when I get home I don't damage my Mosin

but, yeah, buy the corrosive, the new production stuff is way overpriced.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    watch out for windex!

Best tip......buy the corrosive ammo and after firing it and before you go home, spray some windex down the barell to help neutralise the acids in the corrosive fouling. $.09 of Windex is a shitload cheaper than higher cost of supposedly non corrosive ammo.
    When you get home, or the next day, clean the barrel, the chamber and the boltface. Not that big of a deal and problems addressed.

Corrosive ammo for the M44 is only a problem if you leave your rifle uncleaned for a while......I speak from experience. :o

Windex contains ammonia! Be careful! It can cause a bore to rust and it can also harm bluing but, it works really good for cleaning out lead fouling and corrosive fouling. Just be sure to run oil behind it. Good old fashion nitro solvent or something like it works good too. :thumbsup:

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    You guys clean your Mosin's? I just buy another when my rusts up! :lol2: OKAY, I'm just joking, but for like $90 a rifle I would buy a shooter and a saver. Just my oppinion.

Anyhoo, The way to tell if ammo is corrosive is to take the bullet out of the casing, then empty out the powder. All that is left of the original bullet should be the brass and the primer. Now take two polished sheets of steel. Set one in the area you plan to store both sheets. This is the control sheet. After this experiment this sheet should still be shiny. Take the other sheet and fire the primer at it, this is the primer sheet. Leave the primer sheet with the control. If the primer sheet rusts and the control sheet doesn't then you have corrosive ammo. If both the control and the primer sheets both rust then you had a bad experiment and have to retry it. If neither sheet rusts then you have non-corrosive ammo.

houserocker

Guero Loco
    Jan 14, 2008
    Laurel, DE
    How often do you guys clean your guns anyway? I was so indoctrinated by my Dad that I clean the hell out of anything I shoot even if it's only a few shots.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    ALL military surplus 7.62x54r is corrosive ! Windex is mostly water and for the record ammonia does not neutralize the corrosive salts/acids left from firing old surplus ammo. If it did Butches Bore Shine would be the No.1 product to use. Not to mention Windex has very little ammonia and certainly no window cleaner has enough ammonia to break down lead fouling all that is just a popular myth that is continuously told over and over on dozens of gun forums until somehow it became truth :lol2:. You would do just as well to flush out your bore with hot water. I use WWII G.I. Bore cleaner myself.... http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Era-Rifle-...oryZ4721QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Got about 5 cans left :) .

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    How often do you guys clean your guns anyway? I was so indoctrinated by my Dad that I clean the hell out of anything I shoot even if it's only a few shots.

I like to try and clean them after ever shoot, but somwtimes it doesn't happen (even with the corrosive ammo). I will definetally clean then if they have the slightest rust. I always like to have a light coat of oil. Some gus soak it up while others don't need much. It really depends on the gun really.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I clean with Hoppe's #9 and store with a good coat of synthetic motor oil on all metal and espically in the bore. No matter how clean you thought the bore was, it will allways amaze how dirty the first patch will be when you pull the gun out of the safe and get it ready to shoot. I consider all comblock ammo to be corrosive. The MN's have lived with it for 100 + years. Not a problem, just clean it after shooting.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I clean with Hoppe's #9 and store with a good coat of synthetic motor oil on all metal and espically in the bore. No matter how clean you thought the bore was, it will allways amaze how dirty the first patch will be when you pull the gun out of the safe and get it ready to shoot. I consider all comblock ammo to be corrosive. The MN's have lived with it for 100 + years. Not a problem, just clean it after shooting.

+1, when I got my M44 I must have run 30 patches through the barrel going between Sweet's 7.62, Break-Free Bore Paste, and Hoppe's #9. The patches would start coming clean once any given solvent dried up, but as soon as a new solvent was applied, the patches were coming out green/blue/black again. :D

I just said "what the hell" after a while. I've shot probably 50 rounds through it so far and it hasn't blown up so I guess I'm good!

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I would not overclean a MN barell. They were made for hard use, and they were factory re arsenalled. If it improved the accuracy or extended barell, or storage life, they would have cleaned them a lot better.
    It would be interesting to see if the accuracy changes
    after cathodically cleaning one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom