• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Gonna do it. Been holding off with money being tight with wife doing "home improvements" but just found out theres a line of credit so I wont feel guilty! Which Mosin to get if you only could get 1.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    That's a hard one.
    I say get the M44 because it is the most likely to be in great shape. Most were made after the war was winding down or they were made after the war and so most of them were not beat to hell on the battlefield or in training.

They are also still one of the cheaper versions, but that won't last long IMO.

slayr15

Avtomat Klashnikov Member
    m38 sniper w/pu scope and mount:drool: but i love my m44 flame thrower:)

Attachments

• SANY0002.JPG
      SANY0002.JPG
      40.8 KB · Views: 100

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I'm kinda partial to the Finnish M39's...but they're a little pricier....

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    If you want a fun shooter I'd get an M44. M44's are the carbines of the MN's. They are fun to shoot. Just make sure you clean for corrosive ammo properly. You only get one barrel.

Another good rifle is the 91/30. The 91/30's are the full length of the MN's. The ones from AIM are in EXCELLENT condition. They also come with all the accessories. I'm sure the M44 will too.

The M44 has a bayo that folds to the side of the gun. The bayo should be extended for accuracy. The 91/30 as a removable bayo that will probabally not fit on the gun unless you jam it on, then it will be hard to remove. You can sand the inside of the bayo for easier attachment and removal. The 91/30 with bayo is a VERY long and heavy gun. Pretty cool looking though. Looks a lot like a musket in my opinion.

Both are great guns. I recommend you get both! :D

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    If you want a fun shooter I'd get an M44. M44's are the carbines of the MN's. They are fun to shoot. Just make sure you clean for corrosive ammo properly. You only get one barrel.

Another good rifle is the 91/30. The 91/30's are the full length of the MN's. The ones from AIM are in EXCELLENT condition. They also come with all the accessories. I'm sure the M44 will too.

The M44 has a bayo that folds to the side of the gun. The bayo should be extended for accuracy. The 91/30 as a removable bayo that will probabally not fit on the gun unless you jam it on, then it will be hard to remove. You can sand the inside of the bayo for easier attachment and removal. The 91/30 with bayo is a VERY long and heavy gun. Pretty cool looking though. Looks a lot like a musket in my opinion.

Both are great guns. I recommend you get both! :D
    I don't think the bayonet on the M44 being extended affects accuracy. It may affect point of aim, but I am pretty sure the grouping size is the same either way.
    My M44 does fine with the bayo folded.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    There was a thread on AK files relating to this.

The Russian troops were REQUIRED to have the Mosins bayo extended at all time unless they were in a vehicle. Because of this the Mosin's were sighted in using the bayo extended. The Bayo actually causes the barrel to bend a VERY minor bit, but nevertheless enough to affect the accuracy. The Mosins should be fired with the Bayo extended for the best accuracy.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25404&highlight=m44+bayo+extended

-And-

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18743&highlight=m44+bayo+extended

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    There was a thread on AK files relating to this.

The Russian troops were REQUIRED to have the Mosins bayo extended at all time unless they were in a vehicle. Because of this the Mosin's were sighted in using the bayo extended. The Bayo actually causes the barrel to bend a VERY minor bit, but nevertheless enough to affect the accuracy. The Mosins should be fired with the Bayo extended for the best accuracy.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25404&highlight=m44+bayo+extended

-And-

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18743&highlight=m44+bayo+extended
    There is a difference between accuracy and sighted in the way I use the terms in this context. A gun may not hit where the sights are aimed, but if you aim at the same spot every time it is still accurate in some way if the grouping is close. For instance, my K31 is not propery sighted in, but if I aim at the bullseye at 100 yards I hit low and to the left, but the groups are within a few inches because I aim at the same spot every time.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    It is not just the weight, it attatches to the end too with the ring.

It depends on the Mosin. The 91/30 attaches on the end with the ring and weights down the end of the barrel changing the barrel harmonics. Not sure how this may affect accuracy, as I have not tested it.

The M44 has a spring loaded bayo folding to the right side of the gun. The bayo spring pulling on the barrel also affects the barrel harmonics. Most shooters say the rifle will shoot to the left with the bayo NOT extended, whereas it will shoot bullseye extended.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The 91/30 is a larger heavier weapon. This reduces felt recoil. That makes the weapon more enjoyable to shoot multiple times.

1) If you want to part the hair of the person next to you with your muzzle blast go with the carbine.

2) If you want a rifle you can shoot for a couple of hours without owing stock in an icepack company get the 91/30.

this is not to be taken to imply that (1) is a bad thing!

Dave

Classic Arms has 91/30's and carbines that have new nearly new barrels on them.

http://classicarms.us/htm/firearms.htm

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    The 91/30 is a larger heavier weapon. This reduces felt recoil. That makes the weapon more enjoyable to shoot multiple times.

1) If you want to part the hair of the person next to you with your muzzle blast go with the carbine.

2) If you want a rifle you can shoot for a couple of hours without owing stock in an icepack company get the 91/30.

this is not to be taken to imply that (1) is a bad thing!

Dave

Classic Arms has 91/30's and carbines that have new nearly new barrels on them.

http://classicarms.us/htm/firearms.htm

If you expect to shoot a MN for a "Few Hours" get a very heavy surplus wool coat

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    If you expect to shoot a MN for a "Few Hours" get a very heavy surplus wool coat

Or just be like me and take it like a man! :lol2:

So what if your shoulder is black and blue. Also if you dislodge your shoulder just fire the heavy ball ammo to reposition it. :lol2:

Seriously though. I have fired 80 rounds through my M44 with only a slightly bruised shoulder the next few days. No big deal to me. My Fabarm FP6 pump shotgun 12g. w/2.75inch slugs has way more recoil than the M44. Only part that REALLY hurts like hell when you shoot a Mosin Nagant is if you don't position the gun properly to your shoulder or if you fire it prone.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    This post will likely become irrelevant. As you will find out, "only buying one Mosin" is like "only eating one potato chip." :)

If you can spend the extra and you're only getting one, I would say get a Finn M39. They have heavier barrels made in either Finland or Belgium and are very accurate. Stocks are made of Arctic Birch and are heavy and help reduce recoil as well.

Otherwise I would get a 91/30 if I was only getting one. They are long but are slim and not that heavy and more accurate than the carbines. For a carbine I like the M38 without the bayo. M44's weigh about the same as a full-size rifle because of the bayo. Every single M44 I've had has shot to the left with the bayo retracted, and it's a PITA (though I guess if you were hunting hogs with it, it might be a useful option). I think there is something to the theory about barrel resonance.

If you go to akforum.net and join, Ohio Rapid Fire is offering specials for AK forum members. I believe they are running around $62 plus shipping for the M44's and 91/30's and $69 for the laminated rifles. I bought a laminated 91/30 from them and it is nice, all original matching stamped numbers which is rare for the laminates anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom