• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Wouldn’t it have already been illegal though? The second you hit 81% in your basement in DC you have an unregistered firearm. Or were you thinking the X numbers of hours to notify MPD of bringing a previously owned firearm would get you though that. Even then the MA/CA/MD handgun roster would come into play.

Conceivably you could still (for now, thanks Gov. Blackface) build at a friend’s in VA or another free state, then register before bringing in (provided the roster requirement wasn’t a show stopper).

Damn commies...

DC allows a 48 window to register. If someone ordered all of the upper and lower parts first and then had the frame arrive last it could be 100% legal by staying on timeline.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Pic of the table at the press conference

NBC news just played the press conference with a very quick scan of that exact table. By my observation at a minimum one was a legit M&P and one was a legit Glock with legit serial numbers, not "ghost guns" described in the legislation. Based on that disingenuous presentation I do not trust their motives.

If you have to lie to make your point, reevaluate your stance because you are wrong.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    NBC news just played the press conference with a very quick scan of that exact table. By my observation at a minimum one was a legit M&P and one was a legit Glock with legit serial numbers, not "ghost guns" described in the legislation. Based on that disingenuous presentation I do not trust their motives.

If you have to lie to make your point, reevaluate your stance because you are wrong.

Could be edited footage of the presentation, Pete used them to show the differences.

I don’t know that for a fact just a guess.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Could be edited footage of the presentation, Pete used them to show the differences.

I don’t know that for a fact just a guess.

Maybe, but the firearms were displayed exactly in the same way as your photo. Clearly I saw S&W insignia and a Glock frame.

TBH I am not against the legislation as long as DC will prosecute. But that never seems to happen.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    In the name of safety, a more effective press conference would be:

"This is an unregistered/unserialized P80 Glock possessed by BoBo while in the commission of a crime. He is being charged with carrying a pistol without a license, possession of an unregistered firearm, possession of ammunition without a registration certificate, possession of a high capacity ammunition feeding device, and assault with a deadly weapon (gun). Say bye bye to BoBo.”

halle freakin lujah!!!!!!!

although just a charge for assault with a deadly weapon would be just fine because i don't want guns to have to be registered, ammo to be registered, permits, etc for law-abiding citizens.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I find the timing of the DC "emergency" somewhat suspect, even in light of the DC arithmetic (good or bad) presented in another thread.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I find the timing of the DC "emergency" somewhat suspect, even in light of the DC arithmetic (good or bad) presented in another thread.

Timing comes directly after a broad daylight early morning murder in a nice part of town in front of a school

Don’t think it involves a P80 but they gotta do something to get ahead of the game.

I’m hearing BWCs aren’t really helping prosecution

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    halle freakin lujah!!!!!!!

although just a charge for assault with a deadly weapon would be just fine because i don't want guns to have to be registered, ammo to be registered, permits, etc for law-abiding citizens.
    I agree 100%. But I have to follow these laws, so they should be enforced on real criminals.

This legislation has to do with the uptick in gun violence in recently gentrified Columbia Heights and Petworth. A bunch of people moved into those neighborhoods believing they would be safe because that was the trend. Now homeowners are restless because there have been almost daily shootings and DC will not respond in any effective manner.

So DC passes this do nothing law to say they did something.

IIRC per the police chief said the average person they lock up for homicide already has 10 firearms convictions.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Timing comes directly after a broad daylight early morning murder in a nice part of town in front of a school

Don’t think it involves a P80 but they gotta do something to get ahead of the game.

I’m hearing BWCs aren’t really helping prosecution

The only people their emergency response on guns will impact are the law abiding. The person(s) responsible for the murders and those like them will continue to do what they've always done until they are either dead or locked up.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The only people their emergency response on guns will impact are the law abiding. The person(s) responsible for the murders and those like them will continue to do what they've always done until they are either dead or locked up.

You’re beating a dead horse on this forum. No one can argue with you when you’re right.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I agree 100%. But I have to follow these laws, so they should be enforced on real criminals.

This legislation has to do with the uptick in gun violence in recently gentrified Columbia Heights and Petworth. A bunch of people moved into those neighborhoods believing they would be safe because that was the trend. Now homeowners are restless because there have been almost daily shootings and DC will not respond in any effective manner.

IIRC per the police chief said the average person they lock up for homicide already has 10 firearms convictions.

I won’t give my thoughts on this Buuuuttttttttttt I’d say you would be a good investigator E

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    DC allows a 48 window to register. If someone ordered all of the upper and lower parts first and then had the frame arrive last it could be 100% legal by staying on timeline.

Right, but even with the 48 hour notice window for bringing in “previously owned firearms,” don’t you think the MD/CA/MA roster requirement would have been a hard stop (for a handgun)? A Poly 80 is not a G17, etc.. How do MD residents get around the roster requirement? Guessing there is an exemption for self manufactured? I don’t think there is any such an exemption in DC statute. Obviously an 80 AR (w a Thordsen stock fully assembled) wouldn’t have the roster issue, but even prior to this law I bet they would beat you up on it not being a “manufacturer’s” SN even if you serialized.

... just more mental masturbation from the slave quarters. Don’t mind me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Right, but even with the 48 hour notice window for bringing in “previously owned firearms,” don’t you think the MD/CA/MA roster requirement would have been a hard stop (for a handgun)? A Poly 80 is not a G17, etc.. How do MD residents get around the roster requirement? Guessing there is an exemption for self manufactured? I don’t think there is any such an exemption in DC statute. Obviously an 80 AR (w a Thordsen stock fully assembled) wouldn’t have the roster issue, but even prior to this law I bet they would beat you up on it not being a “manufacturer’s” SN even if you serialized.

... just more mental masturbation from the slave quarters. Don’t mind me.

Yes. MD as well as most other states you can build your own firearm legally. The MD Handgun roster listing is only required for the firearm to be sold in MD. You can move in to the state and bring something no one the roster (and you’d also then have to register it if you moved in to the state).

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I’ll fully agree but i am kinda blow away that 6% of the 2019 recovered guns were 80%’s. I knew a lot were recovered but that number is way higher then i imagined.
    Edit I’m an idiot it’s 6% but still more then i thought

What is the source for that? I think that is an aggregation with serial number damaged obliterated guns which are probably 99% of that 6% and not "ghost guns" from 80% at all.
    no, they want to go after the companies that made the 80% guns (jigs/kits).
    I don't think so. The manufacture of the gun the way the legislation is paraphrased so far is the 20%

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

Precisely. and a LOT of people are getting robbed with paintball and airsoft guns as well (which is more likely to be the average robbed gentrifier in petworth experience even if they don't know a bb gun from shinola). The uptick correspondents exactly with the nearly halving of the number of incarcerated persons in DC. DC violent crime rates fell and fell for years as incarceration increased, and it has been increasing as incarceration has plummeted. There are WAY more felons on the streets today.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I don't think so. The manufacture of the gun the way the legislation is paraphrased so far is the 20%

nah these people aren't stupid, at least in this regard. what's the benefit of going after you or me, the avg joe is a couple of missed paychecks away from bankruptcy. dc won't be getting much if any money from you and me. but the actual jig/blank manufacturers supposedly have $$$ and liability insurance. i'm sure they'll clean up the language to fix or avoid any confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom