• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I recently came across a pretty good deal on a Winchester Model 37, 16 gauge. I wasn't looking for one, it was strictly an impulse buy. That makes 3 16 gauge shotguns now the Winchester, an H&R and an old "Hardware Store" branded gun with "Our Favorite" on the receiver that was my Father's. All single shots.

I've always liked 16 gauge guns for some odd reason. I know that 12's and 20's are more practical for almost anything.

Here is a picture of my new M37 (16 on the right and a 20 on the left)

Anybody else like a 16?

Attachments

• Winchester 37.jpg
      Winchester 37.jpg
      52.2 KB · Views: 794

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I have a SxS Stevens, a true stereo typical hillbilly shotgun for sure. Shell selection sucks though :(

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    haven't shot it since i was a kid, but i have my ithaca model 37 16ga bottom eject pump action from back when i used to go pheasant hunting up in penna near letterkenny army depot with my dad, he used the same gun in 12ga. those were such fun times, all day spent in the field. my uncle and cousin usually joined us. sometimes my dad's fishing buddy and his kid. true family, well at least father/son, quality time.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Remington Model 11 in 16GA. Been in the family since it’s purchase circa 1941. It would be nice to have more ammo shopping options, but it’s fun to shoot.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    My first shotgun was an Ithaca Model 37 in 16 gauge, I still have it, along with another one. I also have two 16 gauge Stevens 16 gauge SXS Model 5100s, a Browning A 5, a Winchester Model 12 and another old SXS shotgun.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Last year I picked up a SxS made in Czechoslovakia. Apparently they exported a bunch of them during the 70s. Nice and light and kicks pretty bad with the shells I had.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    First firearm I shot was an Ithaca 37 in 16 and love those purple hulls. Have picked up a few over the years, Win 97 and 12, Rem 870 and 48 , A5 and couple of others. Reload to keep’em fed and make lite loads for 97, it turned 100 last year

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Remington 11-48 16 gauge here. I’ve never pointed it at a critter who didn’t die. I love it!

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I have a bunch of 16's and if you plan to shoot them, plan to buy flats of shells mail order and then plan to re-load when you have hulls. It can be hard and expensive to buy by the box local. Off hand I have a French Darne sliding breech double, at least 3 Bayard/Pieper hammer double guns, and Stevens 520 pump that somebody re-checkered really fancy and a good job (I am probably forgetting one or three). 16's just feel good to hold especially double guns

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Smaller lighter and more powerful with better patterning in some pre and post war loads than standard 12 gauge field loads according to Askins. I think later on when Olin pushed for steel shot with the conservationist they had to sell the 12 gauge because they initially performed so poorly.

They managed to sell a lot of shells though but hair lipped the 16 at the same time.
    I created a bad habit whenever I went to walmart to buy brake clean and stuff like that of always going over and checking out what 16g shells were available. We used to save the hulls and re-load them but now I just buy them when I see them for 5-6 bucks a box.

Over a period of time I managed to accumulate a pile of ammo for my gun and often start to break it out but never do.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    J. Stevens 26 ga pump. In my disaster supplies

Attachments

• 20171219_203346.jpg
      20171219_203346.jpg
      25.9 KB · Views: 303

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Couple Parker doubles, Stevens 520 pump. Very nice compromise between hitting power and carry-ability.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I inspired myself to do a little research on that old shotgun my Father gave me years ago. Looks like it's an old Hopkins and Allen Hardware store gun made between 1902-1910. The bluing is completely gone, replaced by a nice brown patina.They called it the "Our Favorite" model. I'm thinking he got in in the late 40's or early 50's when he was a kid in Southwestern VA. I wish I'd have asked him about it while I still could.Probably worth exactly $0 to anybody except for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
      IMG_0366.jpg
      35 KB · Views: 254
    • IMG_0365.jpg
      IMG_0365.jpg
      48.7 KB · Views: 232

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    My uncle had a Belgian made Sweet 16. I borrowed it to go squirrel hunting one time and being used to hunting with a single shot .22, I got too close! The only thing left was a little bit of fur! Learned my lesson and increased my distance. I picked up a beautiful Remington 870 in 16 ga for a really good price from Lou 45 at one of the shows and it works great.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I grew up around 16s. Mostly Stevens, Ithacas, and Brownings. They were perfect for MI pheasants. Great balance of size, power, and patterns. It’s true what Doco said how steel shot killed it. Everyone converted to 3” mags to get more payload and the 20 edged out the 16 for versatility. I have an old Revelation 16 single that I keep for nostalgia.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    Off hand I have a French Darne sliding breech double, at least 3 Bayard/Pieper hammer double guns, and Stevens 520 pump that somebody re-checkered really fancy and a good job (I am probably forgetting one or three). 16's just feel good to hold especially double guns
    Been on the lookout for a Darne for years but they grew in value faster than my pay grade. Saw one in a LGS when I was in HS and thought it was the most amazing action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom