• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lousy Shot

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 4, 2020
    Maryland at the Bay
    Couldn't find one here, but I thought this was pretty funny:

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as 'plucking the yew' (or 'pluck yew').

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and they began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew! Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentalfricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute! It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as 'giving the bird.'
    And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing. Didn't yew!!

I sure hope this is true!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Patience young Grasshopper ! Once you reach 50 substantive posts , you can then enter the Water Cooler , where merth, merriment , and insanity ( figuratively of the good kind ) abound .

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Patience young Grasshopper ! Once you reach 50 substantive posts , you can then enter the Water Cooler , where merth, merriment , and insanity ( figuratively of the good kind ) abound .

You said it. I didn't. btw, It's Mirth :D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Y'all made me look it up .

Merth is a Welsh word , with sugguested English synonyms of beautiful , fine, and valuable .

Not quite the same thing as Mirth , but nothing terrible , so I didn't put my foot very far in mouth .

Feb 28, 2013
    Y'all made me look it up .

Merth is a Welsh word , with sugguested English synonyms of beautiful , fine, and valuable .

Not quite the same thing as Mirth , but nothing terrible , so I didn't put my foot very far in mouth .

I thought for a second you was from Merth Amboy NJ :lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    At times this whole board is a "No humor discussion area". ;)

Noticed that a while ago. Sometimes it's one's own outlook...:shrug:

It's funny. I'm on another forum where the only open forum is their "Water Cooler" type subforum. Everything else, you have to be a logged in member to view everything else. Kinda weird.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom