• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    Going to be picking up a kayak soon and will be looking into using it for both fishing and waterfowl...just seeing if anyone else here does that because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need some pointers for it :D

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I have seriously debated it, but I'm worried I'll flip the yak and either freeze, lose a bunch of expensive stuff, or have some other catastrophe. SO I have not actually gotten up the gumption.

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    I have seriously debated it, but I'm worried I'll flip the yak and either freeze, lose a bunch of expensive stuff, or have some other catastrophe. SO I have not actually gotten up the gumption.

Oh I hear ya, but I've been talking to a bunch of people that I know that use kayaks all the time and have been listening to them on what precautions and tips/tricks they use and have decided to pull the trigger ;) this year...and now I'll finally be able to do some fishing other than standing on a pier or bank...

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I bought one for hunting ducks on the river. I have not been out hunting with it but I have floated with it a handful of times.

Best advice I was given was to know the parts of the river you will be floating/hunting before the water gets cold.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I waterfowl hunt and fish from an inexpensive walmart kayak. I upgraded a lot of it and it works great. Last year I made a leaf/burlap cover last year and it was time consuming but I limited out on geese nearly every time I went out. Have taken ducks and snakehead in it as well.

Two things I suggest:
    Bungee cord - Tie EVERYTHING you need down.
    Collapsible Crate - Very cheap and you can put your decoys in them on the way out and collapse it when you're trying to stay concealed.

Attachments

• IMG_9623.JPG
      IMG_9623.JPG
      57.5 KB · Views: 579
    • IMG_9621.JPG
      IMG_9621.JPG
      47.7 KB · Views: 575

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    If you’re going to do it go all out ;)

Attachments

• 19C0C8E8-0147-46E3-8B19-A5B46FADBDB8.jpeg
      19C0C8E8-0147-46E3-8B19-A5B46FADBDB8.jpeg
      5.7 KB · Views: 539

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Armed Ferret.

Attachments

• A85B9D76-6A90-4799-81D3-5E7141A0C9B2.jpg
      A85B9D76-6A90-4799-81D3-5E7141A0C9B2.jpg
      88.4 KB · Views: 520

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Dont forget about the extra bulk.....insulated waders and winter clothing make entering and exiting your kayak much harder.

Setting decoys and retrieving downed birds is more work also.
    I do love using my kayak tho.

Maybe extendable stabilizer outrigger floats? Dog launch and recovering platform? That's actually a neat idea...if I was only info waterfowling.

Modern fishing kayaks are very stable. I saw a couple guys duck hunting from their kayaks down at Blackwater. It's doubtful you would flip it from recoil. Most are stable enough you can safely stand in them. Just remember the water is COLD during most of hunting season and a dry suit is a must..

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I'm a big canoe fan. Quite a few years ago I loaded my shotgun into the canoe at Rte. 28 on the Monocacy.
    It started to snow. I canoed down in the dark to set up an 'ambush' .
    Week before, when I walked on land at 3 or 4 am I could hear the deer scatter. So I hit the river next time, 4 am, did me a
    "Inchon" landing, landed way down river, all quiet. Thought I would outflank them.
    Deer never moved, it snowed 2 or 3". I got cool pictures.
    It was the coolest hunting trip of my life. Fraught with peril, came up empty.
    Actually that day ducks came up the river, and had I #2 instead of slugs, I might have gotten 2 shots off.
    It happened real fast.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Modern fishing kayaks are very stable. I saw a couple guys duck hunting from their kayaks down at Blackwater. It's doubtful you would flip it from recoil. Most are stable enough you can safely stand in them. Just remember the water is COLD during most of hunting season and a dry suit is a must..

You’re most at risk turtling that thing while reaching over the side to retrieve a downed bird or decoy. OP keep your head up and you’ll never roll it, it’s all about the center of gravity. Once you start bending down and reaching over to grab something in the water, that’s when things can go south real quick. I love hunting and fishing out of my kayak. I’m not sure if you’re thinking about hunting this season but if it were me I’d get a season of fishing under my belt before hunting especially since we’re getting into the cold weather. To me a kayak is awkward at first. Once you add in waders and a heavy coat plus a gun, it’s twice as awkward.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    I have a 16' square transom canoe that I pit an engine on. My 98 pound doberman would climb back in from the water with my help over the side. I wouldn't dare paddle that thing any distance.

I have sit in kayaks that I can paddle all day.

Different boats for different jobs.

Id carry a dry bag with a complete set of clothes including jacket hat shoes towel hand warmers etc. If you have a sit in kayak by yourself and you dump in the cold Grab the bag and swim the kayak to the shore. Point is have a contingency plan that you are comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom