Course of action between now and Sine Die?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    What is the COA for measures to take between now and Sine Die?

We testified at House and Senate Judiciary proceedings, established a large visual presence, and contacted our respective representatives in MGA.

I would assume the best thing for many to do would be to keep up contact with their reps. Mine are all against the bills (Hough, Cox, Pipi, Ciliberti) and I've already contacted them to voice my support in their fight against them. Not much else I can do on that end because they are already on my side.

* Should those members who live in districts with anti-gun delegates and senators keep up constant calls, emails, and letters to their respective representatives? Even though they are working against us, perhaps repeated phone calls, emails (easily ignored), and letters would at least have some cumulative impact, no matter how small.

* Should there be another peaceful demonstration of some sort in Annapolis like in 2013?

* Any benefit to a continuing or repeated presence in Annapolis as these bills move through the House and Senate? Perhaps people can try to schedule meetings with their senator or delegates in the next month?

I'm just trying to come up with ideas of other things to do after this initial push during House and Senate judicial proceedings so as not to lose momentum.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Definitely keep writing, calling, or visiting. The committee votes nor the house votes have happened yet.

Keep the pressure on.

Folks have their eye on this and will let us know of future hearings and, if possible, votes. If it can make a difference, the Patriot Picket WILL be there.

Look up in the sky for the Mopar Signal!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Actual hand written snail mail letters targeted to specific reps (i.e. "I met you at the xxx xxx fund raiser." etc) always carry the most weight because it says you feel strongly enough to take the time and spend the money for postage. Those are the ones most likely to be actually seen by someone higher than a clerk compiling numbers of pro and con responses.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    This is something that I, too, am curious about. As far as the house is concerned - Committee votes next, if it makes it out of committee then house votes, if it makes it out of house then senate and house exchange bills they plan to pass on March 19 (crossover day).
    I am curious to know exactly who all of the members are on the committee and what their stance is on 2A since they are the first possible breach of the dam.
    Exactly how many Committee members were there?
    Can they vote on any bill at any given time between now and March 18?
    I am aware of the last minute amendments that can be slipped in on the eve of sine die under the cover of darkness.
    I assume if a bill is not exchanged on March 18 between houses then that bill is officially dead?

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    This is something that I, too, am curious about. As far as the house is concerned - Committee votes next, if it makes it out of committee then house votes, if it makes it out of house then senate and house exchange bills they plan to pass on March 19 (crossover day).
    I am curious to know exactly who all of the members are on the committee and what their stance is on 2A since they are the first possible breach of the dam.
    Exactly how many Committee members were there?
    Can they vote on any bill at any given time between now and March 18?
    I am aware of the last minute amendments that can be slipped in on the eve of sine die under the cover of darkness.
    I assume if a bill is not exchanged on March 18 between houses then that bill is officially dead?

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Would it make the most sense now, to put the pressure on those on the committee as first priority? I am working with my delegate and Senator to see if they can get me some meetings set up with the antis or fence sitters for an in person one on one. I’m making that case that I’m driving 4 hours to get there. I would like a few minutes of their time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    The moms get the time, so should we. I would think we could find out who the moms have targeted (from FB or twitter) and start there to apply pressure. We understand that you feel like “something” needs to be done. But these bills are not the answer to the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I think we should take this to the Water Cooler for just a smidgen of OPSEC.

But yes, keep the pressure on with whatever you can do. Even AFTER the final gavel. Talking to your Legiscreatures AFTER the session ends will have greater impact, IMO, because it will be unexpected and they will have more time to listen and be persuaded.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO

Thanks for that clarification! Much appreciated.

Laj

Dec 5, 2016
    Make a concerted effort to educate all the "fence sitters" you know. People often change their minds when they find out someone they respect will be criminalized by a new bill.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Keep the pressure on the antis on the two committees. Once you contact your friendlies once, probably best to leave them in peace.

Would not hurt to start including Mike and Mike in your contacts because ultimately they will decide if they really want to move these bills or not. They need to feel some pain too.

And then if they do pass in committee, full house and Senate antis.

Need to make the juice not worth the squeeze.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom