• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I was looking at a Beretta Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I 12 GA 30 inch for about $1790 out the door (deal on Grab A Gun plus fees).

There's also the Browning Citori and Cynergy, both less than the Beretta.

Finally, I also see lower cost alternatives other members have bought like Tristar, for almost a third of that.

Opinions?

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I was looking at a Beretta Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I 12 GA 30 inch for about $1790 out the door (deal on Grab A Gun plus fees).

There's also the Browning Citori and Cynergy, both less than the Beretta.

Finally, I also see lower cost alternatives other members have bought like Tristar, for almost a third of that.

Opinions?

Beretta 686 is a solid gun imho. They don't tend to dress up the wood too much, but solid just the same. I would highly recommend you try out several guns to make sure they fit your properly and feel good before you buy. Beretta vs. Browning vs. XYZ gun may fit you differently.

Do you have a max price range I assume? There are a LOT of choices out there brand wise. :thumbsup:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    last fall i was looking for my first over/under and looked at beretta and browning. didn't do a ton of research but handled most of the normal options and got the browning 725 sporting. seemed like it fit well, felt good, and really like the trigger on it. have only shot it once though. was hoping to get out today but no takers.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Beretta 686 is a solid gun imho. They don't tend to dress up the wood too much, but solid just the same. I would highly recommend you try out several guns to make sure they fit your properly and feel good before you buy. Beretta vs. Browning vs. XYZ gun may fit you differently.

Do you have a max price range I assume? There are a LOT of choices out there brand wise. :thumbsup:

I did try a Browning Citori last year and it did work well for me. I think I will try renting a Beretta. Good suggestion.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I was thinking at or under 2K. Lightly used is ok as well.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Get a pair of Belgium made Browning Superposed. One with full or Full/IM and one Skeet/Skeet. You will never lose money and have 2 guns that will last for years.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    There is a used Browning Citori at Engage Armament with a case and extra chokes. Almost bought it myself this afternoon. It's in great shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I have an older model 686 (White Onyx Sporting) and it is a very solid gun. I paid $1800 back in 2007. It sounds like your getting a steal if it's truly new. My only caution is that it sounds like a field model and not a sporting/target model. Target guns tend to have heavier construction than field guns and don't have automatic safety mechanisms.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    You can't go wrong with either "B" gun in the under $2,000 range, except if you pick the wrong one for YOU. I shoot a Browning Special Sporting Clays on everything (Skeet, Trap, Wobble Trap, Five Stand, Sporting Clays, etc.) And it works very well for me. But, I taught at a range that featured Berettas, and I found out very quickly that Berettas don't fit me for squat, I have to float the bird to the extreme to hit anything. Of course, I could have stock work done to correct that, but I bought the Browning that fit. It could have very easily went the other way. Try to shoot them both, and pick the one that fits you.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This ^^^^^^^^

Fit is most important.

I am a Browning guy. They pretty much fit me off the rack.

I had a friend, who was Beretta. They fit him like they were custom made for him.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    IMHO
    2 things:
    1.Try a Beretta and a Browning. They fit differently and chances are if one fits the other won't. Make sure you get an adjustable comb.
    2. Consider 32" barrels. When you try to sell (and you will in a year or so when you see a Guerini you like), 32" barrels will sell faster and command a slight premium over 30" ones.

Hard to go wrong with a Silver Pigeon or a 725 (although if you intend to tube it for skeet, the 725 may have trigger issues.)

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    IMHO
    2 things:
    1.Try a Beretta and a Browning. They fit differently and chances are if one fits the other won't. Make sure you get an adjustable comb.
    2. Consider 32" barrels. When you try to sell (and you will in a year or so when you see a Guerini you like), 32" barrels will sell faster and command a slight premium over 30" ones.

Hard to go wrong with a Silver Pigeon or a 725 (although if you intend to tube it for skeet, the 725 may have trigger issues.)

Thanks. I am going to rent an O/U Beretta next time I shoot trap with the guys after work. I did shoot a Citori once (from a buddy at work) and it seemed to work well for me.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Be aware that Beretta and Browning O/Us tend to have different sight plane heights. If one brand fits you well, the other brand probably won't.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Citori is the better shotgun versus Cynergy and locks up like a bank vault. Cynergy is what to buy if your budget dictates. Citori is what to buy if you want a shotgun that can last multiple generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom