• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Hello everyone... I was at the HoCo Gun Show today and there were two vendors with Benchmade knives. At one table, the knives' blade lock release mechanism made the blade slack and freely move. At the other table the knives release mechanism unlocked the blade, but it did not move freely... one had to lock the blade closed with the other hand, or hold it against something to close it. How are these blades and the locking mechanism supposed to work? Thanks in advance...

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If it is the Axis lock it should disengage the blade and make it swing either way with only minimal friction. It is very rare to see an Axis lock knife with an issue like that, and I have handled hundreds if not thousands. Any manufacturer can have a defective of course, but it is very rare with Benchmade for something like that to make it out. Their QA is very good. As a general rule, and I am not referring to anyone specifically or this incident, just speaking generally: be very careful of Benchmade knives you see at gun shows unless you know the vendor. Imitations, box and all, are a huge problem at shows. And if it's a gun dealer not experienced with the brand they may not even know. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of legitimate knife dealers at shows too, some even make the majority of their money at shows. But step carefully.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Which knives? Were they both axis lock knives? It could be a pivot screw was too tight on the binding one. The tighter the screw, the less side to side play, but the more friction opening and closing.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    It depends on the model. On the Griptillian, pulling the Axis lock down allows the blade to move freely, and you can flick your wrist to open (or close) the knife. On the Pardue 530, pulling the Axis lock on a closed knife will kick out the blade partially, so I pull it down while flicking my wrist, releasing it right as the blade reaches open. To close, I do the reverse with light pressure on the Axis lock so the closing blade pushes it back forward.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    All were Axis lock knives at both tables. I picked up 3 or 4 at the first table and they all swung freely once the button was pushed. I picked up about a half dozen at the second table... what I thought were the same blade styles... and none of them swung freely, thus my question. Also, the deployment of the blades seemed more smooth on the first than the second table. I'm fairly certain I picked up the Griptilian at both tables. It was a recommendation from another thread. The steel was, ostensibly, 154cm on both knives... price was about the same... give or take $10.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    A lot of times the g10 knives will have a bunch of g10 dust all in them when they're new. I make it a practice to thoroughly rinse outhe new Benchmade and then lube them up. They may also need the pivot screws loosened.

Wraith

Oct 19, 2009
    Denton
    My barrage stays closed with the lock held open. It is a spring assist model, which it stays that way so it isn't a switch blade.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Axis lock retention can be adjusted by the knife owner. You need a torx driver. It has been suggested that loctite might be necessary to hold the tension screw at the proper setting, but I have not experienced any problems.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I'm still learning about these knives. I just thought it odd that some would be adjusted that much different than others. Good to know.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    My barrage stays closed with the lock held open. It is a spring assist model, which it stays that way so it isn't a switch blade.

This was my first thought that it was spring assist like the barrage. Same axis lock but the pressure holds it open. I have a barrage and love it but I tend to carry a griptillion more because it can open and close one handed.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have had a couple come a bit tight. The pivot uses bronze washers that reduce friction, but they have to seat/break in a bit when new, and lubed/adjusted as they wear. When properly adjusted there is no side to side play in the blade, but it flips open or closed near frictionless. I usually tighten mine a bit tight, work the pivot a lot to "break it in", then clean and lube it and adjust it. Ends up keeping the adjustment far longer and opens smoother than just using it out of the box, or simply adjusting it.

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    I have several Benchmade Axis Lock knives. After adjusting and lube,then Locktite, they open with the weight of the blade if turned upside down.My favorite Benchmade is my Contego Folder but I'm ready to buy their 300 when I find one at the right price.With the 300,you have 3 ways to open the knife.The Sliding Axis Lock,the Thumb Stud or the Flipper Spur on the blade. Great for my Arthritis Infested hands:thumbsup:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have several Benchmade Axis Lock knives. After adjusting and lube,then Locktite, they open with the weight of the blade if turned upside down.My favorite Benchmade is my Contego Folder but I'm ready to buy their 300 when I find one at the right price.With the 300,you have 3 ways to open the knife.The Sliding Axis Lock,the Thumb Stud or the Flipper Spur on the blade. Great for my Arthritis Infested hands:thumbsup:

It makes a world of difference on that contego if you reshape the handle a bit. Use a PMII as a guide.

Attachments

• IMAG9359_1_zpsr7hvam47.jpg
      IMAG9359_1_zpsr7hvam47.jpg
      56.7 KB · Views: 177

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom