Supreme Court Justices (post Trump Victory 2016)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I think it's safe to say the Liberal Justices would rather die on the bench than grant Trump the chance to select their replacement.

1-800-My-Pillow

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Old Justice Ginsberg the libs pleaded with her to retire so Obama could appoint her successor and she refused so you know she'll stay till she dies. Unless Trump builds a Clinton museum and pays Ginsberg a million a year to run the Clinton museum. Of course she'd have to retire from the court to devote all her time and energy promoting the Clinton legacy.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I think that Sykes and Pryor have the inside track. The two have ties to Wisconsin (as does Prebius, Ryan, Pence) and Alabama (Sessions), respectively.

Sykes will be much easier to confirm, unless the GOP eliminates the filibuster for SCT justices. Plus Wisconsin ties are strong in this administration.

Keep in mind, Trump will likely get 2 or more, including a replacement for Ginsburg.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I think that Sykes and Pryor have the inside track. The two have ties to Wisconsin (as does Prebius, Ryan, Pence) and Alabama (Sessions), respectively.

Sykes will be much easier to confirm, unless the GOP eliminates the filibuster for SCT justices. Plus Wisconsin ties are strong in this administration.

Keep in mind, Trump will likely get 2 or more, including a replacement for Ginsburg.
    What are Pence's ties to Wisconsin? Not sure if regionalism is going to play into appointments at this point. It could in the future if there's a rejection and they need to get a critical Democratic Senator on board so they nominate someone that the Democrat has also supported for a lower level federal appointment in the past.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    What are Pence's ties to Wisconsin?

Pence & Paul Ryan have deep ties. Pence probably saved Ryan's job.

Not "regionalism" per say, more like having a strong advocate in the top echelon. Often, senators, representatives, and governors advocate for their own.

7th circuit is Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana.

The top 4 vote getters on fantasy scotus:
    Pryor (11th circuit, AL), Kethledge (6th circuit, from MI) ,Sykes (7th circuit, WI), and Ted Cruz.

Cruz is probably wishful thinking.**

Pryors main problem will be opposition to gay marriage. He probably will run into a buzzsaw there and be forced to say that he will respect the precedent of the court. Or, the Senate eliminates the filibuster for supreme court nominees.

Didn't Harry Reid remove the 60 vote requirement when he removed it for Federal judges?

Federal judges yes, but not for Supreme Court nominees.

** or maybe we should save Cruz until Ginsburg retires and really stick the knife in. Technically, a Scalia replacement with a conservative does not change the court balance. Ginsburg's retirement will.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Didn't Harry Reid remove the 60 vote requirement when he removed it for Federal judges?

***Yes for federal judges, but he stopped short of doing this for the Supreme court. He poisoned the well enough and pissed off a LOT of people on the right by doing this, and Dems have no right to piss and moan if Trump asks the Senate to force in his appointments. The hand wringing at NPR has already begun... They think cattle cars and Trump supporters wearing MAGA hats are gonna round them up... :sad20:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Pence & Paul Ryan have deep ties. Pence probably saved Ryan's job.

Was wondering if I had missed something in Pence's background. That's not having deep ties to Wisconsin; that's having friends in Wisconsin. If Pence or immediate family were from Wisconsin, if he had gone to college there, I can see him possibly favoring a candidate from there. I don't see his helping Ryan as somehow giving him a connection to Wisconsin to now favor candidates from there.

Not faulting your handicapping of potential picks based on other criteria.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Was wondering if I had missed something in Pence's background. That's not having deep ties to Wisconsin; that's having friends in Wisconsin. If Pence or immediate family were from Wisconsin, if he had gone to college there, I can see him possibly favoring a candidate from there. I don't see his helping Ryan as somehow giving him a connection to Wisconsin to now favor candidates from there.

Not faulting your handicapping of potential picks based on other criteria.

I think you are underestimating how big the WI win was. I am sure that the WI GOP machine had a lot to do with that, and Pence campaigned with Ryan often (including Nov 4th). Johnson trounced Feingold too, coming from behind.

Plus, 7th circuit is Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana.

"ties" is a loosely defined word, but I have zero doubt Trump/Pence owes the WI GOP bigly huge. How they plan to cash in is anyones guess, but a home grown SCT nominee would be a good down payment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom