• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    NO NO NO They Split the bill for vote!!!!! the gun thing was split off for the vote if both pass it will be re-joined and sent on.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    The House's passage of the bill came after an unrelated amendment allowing visitors to national parks to carry guns passed on a separate vote of 279-147. This morning, White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs said Obama would sign the legislation even if the amendment, introduced by Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), were included.
    :shocked4::shocked::shocked3:

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    "House Democrats, though, engineered a delicate legislative maneuver to extend anti-gun Democrats a chance to go on record against the amendment without torpedoing the overall bill. They did this by holding two votes: one for the credit card end of things, one for the firearms portion. This gave anti-gun members political cover by allowing them to vote against the gun measure and for the credit card bill.

But since the gun measures passed, by a vote of 279-147, it nevertheless gets attached to the main bill and becomes law if President Obama signs it.

Despite objections from many Democrats over the firearms measure, 105 House Democrats voted in favor of it. On the Senate side, 27 Democrats voted to expand gun rights."

The Brady Bunch has got to be shitting spent brass casings about now!!!:lol: "I wish there could be more courage and leadership from our friends on the Hill," said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, saying he believed that lawmakers were overestimating the gun lobby's political might."

It looks like we have two thank you letters to write and a few people that need to be kicked to the curb.
    Maryland
    Yea MD-1 Kratovil, Frank [D]
    Nay MD-2 Ruppersberger, C.A. [D]
    Nay MD-3 Sarbanes, John [D]
    Nay MD-4 Edwards, Donna [D]
    Nay MD-5 Hoyer, Steny [D]
    Yea MD-6 Bartlett, Roscoe [R]
    Nay MD-7 Cummings, Elijah [D]
    Nay MD-8 Van Hollen, Christopher [D]

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-277

Another snipet.

"A majority of Democrats in the House and Senate still typically come down on the side of gun control. But the recently swollen Democratic ranks include senators and House members who represent Western states and more rural areas where gun ownership is popular and deemed sacrosanct.

When those Democrats team up with Republicans, they constitute a clear majority in the House and Senate.

"It is a shame," said Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif. "But you have to come to a realization around here that at this point in time, the NRA gets the votes," she said referring to the National Rifle Association. "Either you are going to bring down the whole Senate and never do anything, or you are going to swallow hard and say 'I will just vote my conscience on those amendments and speak out until people get a hold of their senses.' "

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    From someone who's seen both sides of the arguement, I liked some of the things this bill tried to achieve.

Theres def some unethical behavior going on with the credit card companies.

Unfortunatly, there are to be some bad effects of this bill.

Mainly they are raising everyone's rates to spite us.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Gone will be the grace periods and back will come the annual fees. Some credit card companies are saying they will drop customers who "habitually" pay off their entire balance. They make it sound like doing the right thing is a bad thing. Novus was right, they do call us deadbeats. Plus, since the total credit line you hold (minus the amount you owe) directly affects your credit score, getting dropped for doing the right thing will also drop your credit score.

One more note: Closing your accounts because you want a grace period you can't get, because you don't want to pay annual fees, or for any other reason will also drop your credit score.

This is not true. Not having a balance or having a revolving account closed in good standing does not effect your credit score in a bad way, it will actually increase your score.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    This is not true. Not having a balance or having a revolving account closed in good standing does not effect your credit score in a bad way, it will actually increase your score.

but when the account is closed that available credit amount is lost and it causes your debt to credit ratio to be negatively affected causing your score to be lowered

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    but when the account is closed that available credit amount is lost and it causes your debt to credit ratio to be negatively affected causing your score to be lowered

I do this for a living, trust me here. You're debt to credit ratio? I'm confused as to what this is. they have a debt to income ratio that effects your credit not a debt to credit ratio. Having open revolving accounts is bad for your credit score, that's how it works.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    I do this for a living, trust me here. You're debt to credit ratio? I'm confused as to what this is. they have a debt to income ratio that effects your credit not a debt to credit ratio. Having open revolving accounts is bad for your credit score, that's how it works.

maybe im using the wrong terms. but what i mean is the amount of credit you are using currently compared to your total amount of credit. every time i get my credit reports its on there. then in the little blurb on the bottom tells me that a high debt ratio is my problem. a person using 30% of their total credit lines looks better than someone using 75% of their credit. or have they been lying to my ass like everyone else:o

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    maybe im using the wrong terms. but what i mean is the amount of credit you are using currently compared to your total amount of credit. every time i get my credit reports its on there. then in the little blurb on the bottom tells me that a high debt ratio is my problem. a person using 30% of their total credit lines looks better than someone using 75% of their credit. or have they been lying to my ass like everyone else:o

I'll try to explain this so everyone can understand how this works. When they talk about debt ratio, they are talking about your debt to income ratio. If you have a total of all your payments for loans or credit cards that is $1000.00 and you make $2,000.00, then your debt ratio is 50%, this is bad and will impact your credit score in a bad way. Optimal debt to income is in the 25-35% ratio.

When the calculating method they use looks at available credit, the credit you have available to you through your credit cards, it penalizes you for having too many open revolving accounts because this is available to you and puts you at a higher possible debt ratio should you go out and use these cards. Closing cards you don't need or don't use will raise your credit score because they are no longer available for you to use and can not effect your debt to income ratio. Having too many credit cards also is a negative because it says you always need to borrow money which makes you a high risk and lowers your score instead of only having one or two cards.

This is how credit cards hurt your credit score. If you have more than one or two cards then you need to close the ones you are not using and then your score will go up. Having late payments will hurt you as well on any type of loan. It never ever effects your credit badly when an account is closed and it is in good standing, it only increases your credit score.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    This is how credit cards hurt your credit score. If you have more than one or two cards then you need to close the ones you are not using and then your score will go up. Having late payments will hurt you as well on any type of loan. It never ever effects your credit badly when an account is closed and it is in good standing, it only increases your credit score.[/QUOTE]

Opposite of way i understood this, got info from banker w/ 15 yrs exp. said if you have revolving credit that you can show you can manage (pay off pretty quick and not make min payments) then it helps your score if you close an account it actually will lower your score cause now you have less revolviong credit to show you can manage you credit.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Opposite of way i understood this, got info from banker w/ 15 yrs exp. said if you have revolving credit that you can show you can manage (pay off pretty quick and not make min payments) then it helps your score if you close an account it actually will lower your score cause now you have less revolviong credit to show you can manage you credit.

He was wrong, most bankers do not deal with credit, their lending departments do. I deal with credit every day and can tell you whether you can get a loan or not based on what I see. I also used to speak with lenders to secure credit and fight for the consumers to get them credit. I've been doing this for over 20 years and deal with multiple lenders and see well over 100 credit reports per month. You don't have to believe me, go close a few cards you aren't using and see what happens to your credit score.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    He was wrong, most bankers do not deal with credit, their lending departments do. I deal with credit every day and can tell you whether you can get a loan or not based on what I see. I also used to speak with lenders to secure credit and fight for the consumers to get them credit. I've been doing this for over 20 years and deal with multiple lenders and see well over 100 credit reports per month. You don't have to believe me, go close a few cards you aren't using and see what happens to your credit score.

im on it:thumbsup: thanks for clearing up some of the confusion ive had with this stuff

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    so it passed? how are we going to do this? does FL non-res allow you to carry?

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I don't know who told you that information but I think you may have misunderstood them. Having balances on credit cards does not hurt your score, the amount of available credit on those cards and the number of open revolving accounts does. The way beacon scores work is they assess risk and if you have a bunch of credit cards open with large amounts of available credit then you are a higher risk than those with less revolving accounts. If you want to see your scores go up then close cards you don't need and pay off the balances, keeping one or two revolving accounts is not a killer to your score but keeping 5-10 cards open is.

I appreciate the reply. Here's the scoop. The Equifax summary says "a high debt to credit raio on certain types of revolving accounts (credit cards) and installment loans will typically have a negative impact." I use 2 cards, normally, because one gives me higher discounts on gas and the other gives me discounts on different things based on the monthly offer. Sometimes I use a store card just to get a discount at a specific retailer. So, it shows 3 accounts of 5 total with balances. It doesn't show I pay the balance off every month and only use them to take advantage of their discounts or cash back.

The same balance figure that showed up in my credit report last year yielded a 6% debt-to-credit ratio. YES it actually says DEBT TO CREDIT RATIO on the statement and if you divide the total amount of credit available by the amount of balances that month, I came up with 6% last year just as it said in the chart. This year, I'm now at 12% and my score dropped from the low 800's to the high 700's and I have no debt, never been late on a payment in my life, and had no credit checks against me between credit reports. Should I be complaining with such a score? Probably not. That's not the point. I won't be seeking credit anytime soon but why penalize me? :sad20: That's my issue.

BofA can go pound sand. I dumped all the BAC stock I bought because I won't invest in a company that I don't trust, regardless of how well it's performing. I'm only keeping their card to prevent hurting my credit score again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom