• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I'm at the bank today and the guard starts talking about eating snakeheads. He's does a lot of fishing around and knows to keep/kill any snakeheads caught but is not happy about throwing them out. Recipes? if any please chime in. Thanks Chris

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    you can cook them almost like any white fish, they have a firmer texture when cooked. I've had it rolled in rock salt then deep fried. Steamed with lemon grass and kafir lime, and fermented into padek. It's just fish. If it were strong tasting there would be an issue but it's mild so you can do anything with it. I put them in aluminum foil, throw in a few pads of butter and cover in Old Bay seasoning and throw them on the grill.

the post did a nice article on this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fish-this-ugly-really-taste-that-good-photos/

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I'm interested in trying some. I tried fishing for them once without success. My bigger concern would be the waters where they come from.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Old recipe we had for Carp might be in order here
    Season carp with your favorite seasoning, place carp on pine board in a 350 degree oven, cook for 15 minutes each side, when finished cooking throw carp away, eat pine board.:innocent0:D

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Season carp with your favorite seasoning, place carp on pine board in a 350 degree oven, cook for 15 minutes each side, when finished cooking throw carp away, eat pine board.:innocent0:D

I always heard:

"serve with a side of CRAP to help dull the flavor of the Carp"

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Old recipe we had for Carp might be in order here Season carp with your favorite seasoning, place carp on pine board in a 350 degree oven, cook for 15 minutes each side, when finished cooking throw carp away, eat pine board.:innocent0:D

That made me laugh!

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State

Funny ! Reminds me of my Buddies recipe for Sea Ducks, Place 3 bricks in bottom of pan, fill with water and seasoning, cook until water is almost gone then throw out the Sea Ducks and eat the Bricks !

Actually, friend of mine loves to bow hunt snakeheads He gave me some and they are very good eating. I dredge through buttermilk, then roll in in Zatarans season and fry them up...very good.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I had snakehead nuggets at a MD Shooters get together, which was held at a members house in Southern Maryland.

It was lightly battered and fried. It was the best fish I've ever had.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I had snakehead nuggets at a MD Shooters get together, which was held at a members house in Southern Maryland.

It was lightly battered and fried. It was the best fish I've ever had.

Franklin used to talk about eating snakeheads. I believe he may have posted up some recipes before he got banned.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I was walking the C&O Canal path last week and saw one probably ~2ft long swimming along in the canal. I had no fishing gear.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I need to do a search. Even my wife couldn't believe how tasty those nuggets were.

He's a good guy. It sucks he isn't here anymore.

I was off line for a while and he got banned during that time so I never did know what happened. I always liked him. He had some interesting stories of what the county was like waaaay before the population explosion.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    My buddy is always fishing for snakeheads, and he's just deep fried it for us, and it's delicious. I've also just pan fried it in some butter, salt, pepper, lemon and it's good. As mentioned, it's actually a pretty mild fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom