• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    I was hauling my cousins chainsaw home and I'm guessing he didn't properly screw the cap on. It leaked onto a couple boxes of 223 ammo I had sitting next to it. The gas soaked through the boxes and parchment paper and onto the rounds of ammo.

Can I do anything to clean them off or do I have to throw away the ammo?

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I have zero expertise in this area, but my $.02 would be to throw away the box and that the gas would evaporate off the ammo fairly quickly.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I was hauling my cousins chainsaw home and I'm guessing he didn't properly screw the cap on. It leaked onto a couple boxes of 223 ammo I had sitting next to it. The gas soaked through the boxes and parchment paper and onto the rounds of ammo.

Can I do anything to clean them off or do I have to throw away the ammo?

Wash the rounds themselves off in water a few times. Throw away anything paper or cardboard.

Lostinbmore

Junior grade mop slopper
    Dec 19, 2012
    Baltimore
    I'm sure this is the wrong answer. But I would wipe them down with alcohol to get the oil residue off and let dry well. The fuel will evaporate and just leave the oil additive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Definitely get the oil additive off the ammo since you don't want to shoot ammo with oiled casings. The oil prevents the casing from gripping the chamber walls properly when it expands upon firing. That increases the thrust exerted on the bolt.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    Wash the rounds themselves off in water a few times. Throw away anything paper or cardboard.

wipe them down, should be fine...the box and parchment paper prob stopped most of the oil...

thank you both!

Enjoy your new incendiary rounds. :)

STOP!!!!! That Ammo is no good now. I will be by to take that BAD ammo off your hands for proper disposal..:innocent0

:D

and lol at the two of you! :lol2:

I'm just glad the ammo isn't ruined.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Should be fine once the gas evaporates. You could wipe them off with a little alcohol later if you're worried.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i have fired 10mm that had the boxes soaked with hoppes 9, no problems with them.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom